Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any benefit to a high end GPU vs a mid range one for minecraft? Wondering if I should upgrade or not. Using a 6870 atm. (which is mid/low range currently, about equal to a 7750/7850)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any benefit to a high end GPU vs a mid range one for minecraft? Wondering if I should upgrade or not. Using a 6870 atm. (which is mid/low range currently, about equal to a 7750/7850)
I believe for Minecraft the CPU matters more than the GPU

Reactions: rdemay91

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
I believe for Minecraft the CPU matters more than the GPU

Yup, I just did my own testing and it nevers goes above 25% GPU usage.

So, can someone help me understand this about minecraft performance. Using MSi Afterburner, my fps is usually around 30-40 fps. But my GPU usage never goes above 25% and my CPU usage is 60% on one core and 20% on the rest. Why isn't minecraft using up all of the power it can? I have frame rate unlocked and temps are fine.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like something went wrong during mod loading, but Minecraft didn't exit for some reason...
I already saw this registry message a few times but it newer seemed to cause problems for me.
Well you could try it without Chisel.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
So, tall order here but. Are there any texture packs that aren't x128 that don't look trash but also have modpack support?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just tried it and it seems its missing some of the newer ticon weapon textures (namely the crossbow/shuriken ones). How often does it get update?
You cannot expect it to instantly cover everything. It is a lot of work making textures for all those mods.
I am currently still playing 1.6 packs so not really aware of the update rate on the 1.7 resource packs. But in the past there was quite often updates. But don't expect that just because the resource pack was updated then all new items got covered. It is a slow process of of making new textures. If old ones can be recoloured and reused then it goes a lot faster. Else it takes some time before someone might submit a new original one.

Also if there are some things that are not covered by it and you have another texturepack that do, then it is possible to set up the game to use the packs in priority in 1.7.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to both of you. I'll check them out.

Another question, how much Vram does minecraft use for you guys? I have a 1gb card and sometimes it uses that whole thing, using a 64x texture pack it definitely uses it all up when I am loading new chunks, sitting in one place it uses maybe 700 to 800 MB.

MobsterMuley

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh. This rf storage multiblock from draconic evolution is driving me nuts. It was on. Turned it off to upgrade. Now i can't get it back on. Is thing bugged or what?

Geckogamer

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to both of you. I'll check them out.

Another question, how much Vram does minecraft use for you guys? I have a 1gb card and sometimes it uses that whole thing, using a 64x texture pack it definitely uses it all up when I am loading new chunks, sitting in one place it uses maybe 700 to 800 MB.
Tip: upgrade your pc 1 gb is today nothing you need at the very least 4 gb

send from a thing

kofti

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I just did my own testing and it nevers goes above 25% GPU usage.

So, can someone help me understand this about minecraft performance. Using MSi Afterburner, my fps is usually around 30-40 fps. But my GPU usage never goes above 25% and my CPU usage is 60% on one core and 20% on the rest. Why isn't minecraft using up all of the power it can? I have frame rate unlocked and temps are fine.

AFAIK Minecraft was single threaded until 1.8.
In 1.8 some stuff is now multithreaded:

Optimizations, Rendering & Graphics
  • Significant increase in FPS and performance
  • Each world (Overworld, Nether, End) now runs on its own thread
  • Chunk rendering and chunk rebuilds are now multi-threaded - super fast chunk rendering!
  • Rewrote chunk sorting
  • Better visibility culling code
  • Mob pathfinding is now multi-threaded

I am running on Core i7 3770 with 16GB RAM and GTX760. Minecraft is on HDD (not SSD due to excessive logging from running with 100 - 200 mods).

I recommend using both FastCraft and OptiFine where possible. OptiFine's multi-core chunk loading really makes difference. With both FastCraft and OptiFine Wanderlust Reloaded runs around 160 - 200 FPS and Regrowth at 250 - 400+. I should note that I only use the Default and Faithful x32 textures.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend using both FastCraft and OptiFine where possible. OptiFine's multi-core chunk loading really makes difference. With both FastCraft and OptiFine Wanderlust Reloaded runs around 160 - 200 FPS and Regrowth at 250 - 400+. I should note that I only use the Default and Faithful x32 textures.

I'm curious, which Optifine version works for you? I used it in 1.6.4 but noticed some graphical errors, such as headless cows :rolleyes:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious, which Optifine version works for you? I used it in 1.6.4 but noticed some graphical errors, such as headless cows :rolleyes:
I didn't use it much with 1.7 yet but I haven't encountered any glitches there so far, as opposed to 1.6.