Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Where can I find the IguanaTweaks config for ForgeCraft 2? I want them the same as what DW20 has in his multiplay lp =D

Since Forgecraft2 isn't a public pack you can't, as far as I know. However, I've added Iguana Tinkers' Tweaks to the Infinity pack with no ill effects and it seems that Forgecraft2 is using a mostly unchanged config.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: I play on an SMP server if that is important (probably is)

I have a MFR Auto-Spawner setup at my base (Infinity modpack) and it is within the 3x3 chunk area that is chunkloaded by a Chicken Chunks chunkloader. I turned the lasers on to make absolutely certain, it is indeed entirely within the chunkloaded area, as is all of my power and item infrastructure.

When I log off, the Auto-Spawner seems to be shutting down, and I know this because when I return, the item drops have not increased. The amount is exactly the same as when I logged off.

Is this normal behavior, and why is it happening? Does the MFR Auto-Spawner not work unless a real person is loading the chunks? Is the Chicken Chunks chunkloader a problem? It chunkloads my Cursed Earth mob spawner area just fine - I get huge amount of items out of that one, but zero items out of the Auto-Spawner setup. I have to assume it is the MFR block that is at fault here. Opinions anyone? Thanks.

BarbasTheDog

Jul 29, 2019
I have a MFR Auto-Spawner setup at my base (Infinity modpack) and it is within the 3x3 chunk area that is chunkloaded by a Chicken Chunks chunkloader. I turned the lasers on to make absolutely certain, it is indeed entirely within the chunkloaded area, as is all of my power and item infrastructure.

When I log off the SMP server, the Auto-Spawner shuts down, and I know this because when I return, the item drops have not increased. The amount is exactly the same as when I logged off.

Is this normal behavior, and why is it happening? Does the MFR Auto-Spawner not work unless a real person is loading the chunks? Is the Chicken Chunks chunkloader a problem? It chunkloads my Cursed Earth mob spawner area just fine - I get huge amount of items out of that one, but zero items out of the Auto-Spawner setup. I have to assume it is the MFR block that is at fault here. Opinions anyone? Thanks.
This is because, since there is no real player nearby, the mobs despawn imediately after spawning.

There are two ways around this that I know of:

* Naming the mob that is trapped in the safari net and then set the spawer to Exact Copy
* Put the spawner in a dimension that will always be empty (no players in there). I find that's the easiest way. Write a void age and put the spawner there. As long as no one else is in the age, the mobs shouldn't despawn.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is because, since there is no real player nearby, the mobs despawn imediately after spawning.

There are two ways around this that I know of:

* Naming the mob that is trapped in the safari net and then set the spawer to Exact Copy
* Put the spawner in a dimension that will always be empty (no players in there). I find that's the easiest way. Write a void age and put the spawner there. As long as no one else is in the age, the mobs shouldn't despawn.

Wow. MFR used to be a cool mod, but I don't think this change was a very cool one. Altho I can see how it might be viewed as "very cool" by those who run servers. Clearly this is an MFR thing, because mobs that spawn on Cursed Earth are not despawning when nobody is around - the chunk loader works just fine for them.

Well, anyhow, I do appreciate your response and your suggestions to solve the problem. Since we can't create any ages on the server, I guess I'll have to use exact copy and chew up quite a bit more mobessence each time... which of course means I'll have to make my cursed earth mob farm much bigger... which totally defeats the purpose since that will cause much more server lag than just allowing the Auto-Spawner to work as it should work when chunk-loaded.

I wonder if I surround the Auto-Spawner with Cursed Earth blocks? Would only the Auto-Spawned mobs disappear and the other ones wouldn't? That's pretty weird if so. Maybe there is some property of the Cursed Earth that would keep the mobs alive? Come to think of it... that's a great idea, I could combine all my spawning into one 9x9 building instead of having two!

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that is a vanilla MC property.

Mobs that are located 128 blocks or more, away from an active player, will disappear immediately.

Only time that it will work while you're offline is,

1. Some other player is within 127 blocks or nearer.

2. No one else is around.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Mobs that are located 128 blocks or more, away from an active player, will despair immediately.

After some thought, I guess what you're saying is, the Auto-spawner WILL work when the last player has logged off the server for the night? But as long as a single person is on the server, thousands of blocks away, the Auto-Spawner won't work? Very odd.

Thanks for the reply, just trying to get a handle on this. I guess I'd better keep a closer eye on the Cursed Earth mobfarm, perhaps that also isn't working when other players are on the server, even tho I thought it was working.

Also, I thought of another solution - don't log off the server, since the chunk-loader won't help me if I do... instead, I should stay logged in to the server and just go AFK for the entire night and leave my computer running. Lovely. I'll end up screwing up everybody else's Auto-Spawner setup if I start doing that every night. But that's probably what's going on - someone is going AFK instead of logging off, so none of our spawners are working. This sure is a weird vanilla mechanic when applied to SMP, but I certainly can understand the reasoning behind the mechanic.

I still swear it was not there in Monster because I would leave my base with a chunk-loader running (i.e. travel way outside the 128-block limit) and I would still get mob drops from the Auto-Spawner as well as my massive Cursed Earth grinder. But I was also playing SSP and not SMP, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I've never gotten it to work since 1.4.7 when I did play on a server back then.

Talking about mfr since I no longer play on servers and there isn't cursed earth back then.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019

Mobs that are located 128 blocks or more, away from an active player, will despair immediately.

DONTTHINKABOUTITDONTTHINKABOUTITDONTTHINKABOUTITDONTTHINKABOUTIT

... "despairing" mobs? *fades out*

Reactions: PierceSG

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think that the reason why mobs don't despawn if there's nobody around is so that you can't get rid of the pigmen chasing you through the Nether by stepping through a portal. Not totally sure why they do despawn instantly in any case, but I'm guessing it's so that you don't get mobs piling up hundreds of blocks away lagging the server and counting against the spawn cap.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
For my server (FTB Infinity 1.0.1), how do I set Gregtech to easy? Or off? Though I think with off the world would have to be remade, which isn't ideal.

If I set it to easy on my server, where do I change the client-side files for this to make the recipes correct?

I appreciate your help. With a full-time job Gregtech isn't ideal for me.
yes you would have to change client configs as well, but AFAIK there is no Gregtech in Infinity, unless you are thinking Resurrection in which case i believe most of the Gregtech configs are already set to relatively easy

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Maybe there is some property of the Cursed Earth that would keep the mobs alive? Come to think of it... that's a great idea, I could combine all my spawning into one 9x9 building instead of having two!

Maybe, but I think it's more likely to be a property of the mobs. Mobs that have been named do not de-spawn. Mobs that are carrying or wearing a picked-up item do not de-spawn. Not sure if there are any others, but it seems to me that there's a "does not despawn" property that can be set, and the cursed earth is probably setting that. At least that would be the smart way to do it, rather than writing the rules directly into the de-spawning code.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't directly related to Minecraft. I've been told that to maximise performance I should set the maximum RAM used to no higher than 4GB in the ftb launcher, preferably less. Why? Surely having more RAM available would improve performance?

I'm not doubting this is true by the way, I've tested 4GB and 8GB and its like night and day for framerate improvements. I'm just wondering why it works.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
This isn't directly related to Minecraft. I've been told that to maximise performance I should set the maximum RAM used to no higher than 4GB in the ftb launcher, preferably less. Why? Surely having more RAM available would improve performance?

I'm not doubting this is true by the way, I've tested 4GB and 8GB and its like night and day for framerate improvements. I'm just wondering why it works.
it's either because your ram isn't large enough to hold it all or just how the jvm works,

for some reason it is very happy when heap is restricted to less than 4Gig even though there should not be any difference

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Minecraft (MC) isn't the most efficient game ever written, nor is Java the most efficient programming language... Java has a built-in process called "Garbage Collection", where memory the program no longer needs to use is flushed and marked as usable periodically. Garbage Collection used to have to be written into the program be the developer in previous languages.

4GB seems to be the point with Mc where Java starts spending more time on the Garbage collection and less on processing the game, causing Minecraft to experience "Lag Spikes".

Reactions: asb3pe

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Surely having more RAM available would improve performance?
Common misconception because people do not understand what RAM actually is (And specially not what it means to allocate memory).

Compare your PC to a workshop. The Hard disks are the shelves with tools and materials, the CPU is the trained carpenter and the RAM is the workbench. Bigger building projects might require bigger workbenches to house them. But your projects will not be finished faster from having an oversized work bench. The speed is purely a matter of the speed of the worker(CPU) (and visual representation there off(GPU)). In the case of JAVA it is actually bad to have a too large workbench for a small project due to all the work needed to be spend on keeping the workbench clean all the time.

When you allocate memory to something you are reserving your workbench for one building project only(be there a need for it full time or not). This means that any other building projects will just have to find another work bench. But if you don't have more workbenches it will either have to wait(in which case your PC crashes because OS processes are not allowed to run) or these other projects are forced to be worked on in unconventional places like on the storage shelves(HDs).

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
So I was trying to get my frame quarry working but for my design I need something that outputs a redstone signal + carries power in the same block space. I have tried ender IO but that doesn't seem to work.

Do those thaumcraft things that add more block faces work with frames?