Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm playing FTB Lite 3, how do I enable retrogen? I've turned on "ReplaceVanillaGeneration=true" and "RetroactiveOreGeneration=true" in CoFHCore.cfg but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is some other mod doing the oregen?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing FTB Lite 3, how do I enable retrogen? I've turned on "ReplaceVanillaGeneration=true" and "RetroactiveOreGeneration=true" in CoFHCore.cfg but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is some other mod doing the oregen?
Retrogen is a hit/miss thing. Also, I believe it helps to unload and reload chunks... So walk out about 200 blocks and return

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Retrogen is a hit/miss thing. Also, I believe it helps to unload and reload chunks... So walk out about 200 blocks and return

No it's not, you just need to know how it works ;)

I don't know what differences are between 1.7.10 ersions and 1.6.4 versions, but at least in the latter, the "RetroactiveOreGeneration=true" switch is only a master switch. In other words, turning it off prevents any and all retrogen from happening, regardless of what's configured elsewhere, and turning it on merely allows whatever is configured elsewhere to go through.

If you want ores to generate retroactively, you must specify this for each individual ore in its own configuration entry. For example, in 1.6.4 this is inside CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg and looks something like this:

Code:
    thermalexpansion {
        ####################
        # copper
        #===================
        # <UNIFORM> Generation settings for Copper; Defaults: ClusterSize = 8, NumClusters = 10, MinY = 40, MaxY = 75
        ####################

copper {
            I:ClusterSize=8
            I:MaxY=75
            I:MinY=40
            I:NumClusters=11
            B:RetroGen=true
        }

As you can see, there is an individual retrogen switch for this ore only, which in this case happens to be set to true. You need to check all individual ore entries - including the vanilla ones, because you have set "ReplaceVanillaGeneration=true" - and decide which ones you want active.

Finally, there is logic in place that prevents retrogen in chunks which have already received proper ore generation. If there wasn't, you would get new ores spawning everytime you loaded the chunk! It should work like this:

- Chunk was generated without CoFH Core installed, and you then install CoFH Core: all ores marked for retrogen at the time will generate once
--- If an ore was not marked for retrogen in this scenario, it is still eligible and will retrogen if you mark it as such later
- Chunk was generated with CoFH Core installed, and you later change retrogen settings for an existing ore: nothing happens
- Chunk was generated with CoFH Core instaled, and you later add a new ore and tell it to retrogen: that ore only will generate once

It basically sums up to CoFH Core saying: "Was I present when this ore generated? If no, it can retrogen once, and after doing so, it counts as me being present when this ore generated for all future checks. If yes, it is not allowed to retrogen."

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Playing Modsauce pack, latest version.

Is there some good tool to move blocks, spawners etc?

Is there some prefered magnet to suck things into your inventory?

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Playing Modsauce pack, latest version.

Is there some good tool to move blocks, spawners etc?

Is there some prefered magnet to suck things into your inventory?
Diamond dolly works for spawners, also I think the Matter Translocator (or whatever it's called) from Practicalities will do the trick for moving blocks.

For pulling items into the inventory, Botania has the Ring of Magnetism, and Practicalities has two tiers of item magnet

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
If you want ores to generate retroactively, you must specify this for each individual ore in its own configuration entry. For example, in 1.6.4 this is inside CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg...
There is no such file, but there is a ThermalExpansion-Ores.json file and a Vanilla.json that have similar settings, all set to true.

Last edited:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Downgrade your forge version as far as possible (if you can do recommended, then use that). It seems a lot of mods don't work properly with the newer forge versions.
No go. TC needs at least 1224, and it's still crashing. Hmm... I wonder if @Vazkii would be offended at being summoned to help here.
For reference:
So I'm having this NPE crash while scanning any mod blocks with my thaumometer, except those from "vanilla" Thaumcraft: http://pastebin.com/3cm8PAGv
Enlightenings?

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
That's all it's giving me. I start to scan a mod block, but then "shutting down internal server" and boom. The full log is somewhere around 8.2 MB; do you know a place I could upload it to; would it even help?
Thanks for the quick reply, BTW.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
There is no such file, but there is a ThermalExpansion-Ores.json file and a Vanilla.json that have similar settings, all set to true.

Then you are not getting retrogen because all ores were already properly spawned by CoFH World when the terrain was initially generated. Why are you trying to get all ores to generate again in an existing world, anyway?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Then you are not getting retrogen because all ores were already properly spawned by CoFH World when the terrain was initially generated. Why are you trying to get all ores to generate again in an existing world, anyway?
Because the world was created with vanilla minecraft and then copied across to FTB Lite 3. I guess, if I do get it to work, I should disable the retrogen of gold, iron, diamonds, and other vanilla ores. But getting it to work is the first step!

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
If someone could please tell me what is causing this crash, I'd appreciate it. Custom pack

Attachments

• crash-2014-10-19_13.47.38-client.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 131

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like something from forbidden magic, try disabling it to see.
Maybe it's that FM isn't updated to the Thaumcraft I have? Just guessing
Just tested it. It gets to load up. Tried to make a new world because Thaumic Exploration had an enchant id conflict with Mariculture, AS SOON as I opened the world for the first time

Attachments

• crash-2014-10-19_15.44.40-client.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
that error looks like the one that requires a fresh install of minecraft. Have you been switching forge versions back and forth a lot? Try a new install and see if that helps.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
that error looks like the one that requires a fresh install of minecraft. Have you been switching forge versions back and forth a lot? Try a new install and see if that helps.
k. will try. will report when done
Thank you so much, it worked perfectly!

Last edited: