Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Two questions, 1: do big enderIO capacitor banks cause lag? 2: what are your feelings on wisp auto spawning? You can't catch them in a safari net but you can grab spawners found around totems, though you can't pick up spawners in vanilla thaumcraft, but you can in thaumic tinkerer... Would using those to get essentia be bad sportsmanship?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Two questions, 1: do big enderIO capacitor banks cause lag? 2: what are your feelings on wisp auto spawning? You can't catch them in a safari net but you can grab spawners found around totems, though you can't pick up spawners in vanilla thaumcraft, but you can in thaumic tinkerer... Would using those to get essentia be bad sportsmanship?
1) I have never used the mod, but I heard storing them in the same chunk can cause massive issues. But if you have them spread over multiple chunks you should be fine (IIRC)
2) What pack are you playing? Unless this feature changed in 1.7 you can catch wisps in safari nets, and put them in the auto-spawner. And there is nothing wrong with using them to get the auram essentia. Using auto-spawners/moving spawners just makes it easier... especially if you have a recipe that requires a lot of auram :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, they do a LOT of ticking. FPS wise, you won't get hit that hard. But TPS? Hope your processor is up to it.

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing FTB Unleashed. I've made a 5x9 Iron tank to store creosote. It's got 1.6 million "units" of creosote in it.

So I look into uses for the creosote oil, but the modpack doesn't seem to have gregtech, which disappointed me, because now I see that mod is pretty damned cool!

Anyway, so I can't made semifluid generators... What can I use the oil for?

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing FTB Unleashed. I've made a 5x9 Iron tank to store creosote. It's got 1.6 million "units" of creosote in it.

So I look into uses for the creosote oil, but the modpack doesn't seem to have gregtech, which disappointed me, because now I see that mod is pretty damned cool!

Making rails

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

Well you need creosote oil to make rails.
But IIRC you can also use it in liquid fueled fireboxes, and then use it to create MJ/RF (and if you have IC2) EU

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and is it just me or does rubber grow on the same spots of trees every time? If so: should I chop down dud rubber trees and plant new ones? And if so: should I plant on the same location or move it one tile down?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

If you want to use Gregtech you have to run Unhinged. It and Tinker's Construct had to be separated for behavioral reasons. :D

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to use Gregtech you have to run Unhinged. It and Tinker's Construct had to be separated for behavioral reasons. :D
Or you could use a more updated pack... I saw no issues with them together in The 95 Pack (1.6.4) ;)

Oh, and is it just me or does rubber grow on the same spots of trees every time? If so: should I chop down dud rubber trees and plant new ones? And if so: should I plant on the same location or move it one tile down?
If you haven't chopped the tree down, rubber respawns in the same spot, as long as you don't drain it :p

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
I use the treetap tool on them. Is there a better way?

I basically had to choose one of the packs when I started, I didn't know what they were.. Kinda sucks to lose all my stuff now to make a transfer. My beautiful machines :D

But I can't spend more time on a pack that isn't the best for me either. I want moar machines, and want them NAO! What's the 95 pack? It's not in the launcher, I think.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

I basically had to choose one of the packs when I started, I didn't know what they were.. Kinda sucks to lose all my stuff now to make a transfer. My beautiful machines :D

But I can't spend more time on a pack that isn't the best for me either. I want moar machines, and want them NAO! What's the 95 pack? It's not in the launcher, I think.
No it's not. It's a 3rd party pack I made ages ago :p
If you want to download it it uses the pack code "The95Pack" but I doubt you will be able to safely transfer your world over

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
Oh ok. I can try to find other avenues to keep me interested.

I have:
  • Coke ovens that feed creosote oil into iron tank
  • Smeltery... not sure what to do with this, just making seared stone.
  • Rolling machine cooled by aqueous accumulator
  • Centrifuges
  • Generators, MFE's, Macerators and Electric furnaces.
  • Lappack and diamond drill
  • Enchantment table with book shelves around.
  • Nether portal, haven't done much exploring here yet
And now I find myself just heading out to stockpile minerals all the time.. not building any more. Care to prod me in some direction?

I have a ton of bees in a chest here.. Is that fun?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It depends how much you like grindy stuff... After playing with Gendustry, I can't do vanilla bee breeding :p

Depending on how long you have been playing the pack it depends on what I would suggest.

I find that the FTB launcher packs (as they are now) are all only a good 3-10 hours (apart from GregTech packs, they take longer). However 3rd party packs, (I include the launcher ones for this) seem to have a lot more play time in them... especially ones that are HQM'd

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what's covered by "grindy", but I just find myself no longer building, just exploring and harvesting.

Perhaps I could try some solar panel stuff.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what's covered by "grindy", but I just find myself no longer building, just exploring and harvesting.

Perhaps I could try some solar panel stuff.
Grindy:
waiting for bees to breed
not getting the right breed of bee, so doing it again
rinse and repeat

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind that. I haven't looked into the bee stuff at all yet :D What is the purpose of bees? I understand one mixes and matches to get good breeds, but what is the final yield?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind that. I haven't looked into the bee stuff at all yet :D What is the purpose of bees? I understand one mixes and matches to get good breeds, but what is the final yield?
Whatever you really want it to be... sorta.
If you have extra bees (and maybe magic bees), which most packs with forestry have, then you are able to breed bees to get you almost every resource in the game. Oil? Yep. Redstone? Yep. Lava? Yep. Diamonds? YEP! More bees? YOU BETCHA!

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019

Diamonds. Oil. Lapis. String. Honey. Soul Sand. Lava. Pretty much every product in the game, depending which bee mods you have installed.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Forestry's multifarm can be configured into an IC2 compliant rubber tree farm. And IC2 rubber trees will grow with bonemeal regardless of how close other trees are, provided there is nothing above the saplings. So basically, you can plant an extremely dense field of rubber tree trunks by bonemealing a sapling, clearing out the leaves, bonemealing another sapling, and so on.

Even a minimum size multifarm set up like that will fill a barrel of sticky resin in just a few hours. And that full barrel will make three full barrels of rubber. Good luck using that up ;)