Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I assume you're talking about 1.5.2?

Because in 1.6.4, you can make lapis dust in base IC2 out of normal lapis lazuli using any old macerator.
/headdesk. I feel like an idiot right now. I was hunting through GT info when the answer was staring me in the face.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
hey guys i have a question about the Advanced solar helmet...i see it recharges my advanced jetpack and thats great. but i also see it has a stored EU of 100,000. what is the stored EU for? it doesn't use it for my jetpack if its not in the sun and it also doesn't use it for my mining drill
The power is stored in order to use it to absorb damage. The nano helmet you used in crafting the helmet will give you armour and prevent damage, but requires power to do so. Therefore the helmet has its own EU storage.

Reactions: mattyice2424

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Java probably can't handle it. Too much space. Wait for FTB Lite. Or build your own Modpack.
You'll need 64bit to play.
A friend of mine is playing fine on 32 bit connecting to my LAN game, I started the world on her PC and then transferred it over to my new laptop. No problems. My new 64 bit machine is a lot better, but that's to be expected.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
*pokes head out*
Sorry if this first post of mine is anything but simple. I might be breaking a rule or two, excuse me in advance.

I'm one of those "slow" people, who stayed with Tekkit Classic for months before realizing that it wouldn't be updated any more, and that Tekkit Lite was a better choice. So I upgraded to Tekkit Lite, and had great fun with it... and then it was discontinued too. No more updates for that one either. And the new Tekkit doesn't appeal that much to me, lacking IC2 and all.

So I looked around, and in typical student fashion, found out about FTB last week, midway through my exam period. I watched a Let's Play of FTB Ultimate, decided to get it...

...and found out it was discontinued too, almost half a year ago. Yeah, that's me.

What fascinated me about FTB was the controversial GregTech. Machines are fun. Big machines are even more fun. I love setting up big systems for processing and storage, gradually adding parts to my complex factory, saving up for better stuff, etc. As long as every resource has its use, the more complex the merrier. I find joy in planning and setting up the infrastructure required for an efficient system, and build a thriving, living base around it. FTB Ultimate seemed great in that regard. The end-game seemed almost never-ending. There was always a more complex machine or a better piece of armour to aim for.

However, I'm not that big a fan of digging and underground exploration. Running around in dark caves, making labyrinthine mines in the foggy layers near Bedrock, monsters ready to jump at you around every corner, large caverns going who-knows-where in every direction, lava pools where you least expect them... no thanks. Give me the sun of the surface any time.
"Well, I'll let some Turtles do the digging for me," I thought cheerfully and downloaded Unhinged (seeing as Ultimate was discontinued). However, it turns out that Unhinged lacks ComputerCraft, as well as the advanced Buildcraft pipes I've grown to love (especially the Phased pipes make Quarries and Mining Wells all that less complex). To get where I want in Unhinged, it seems like I have to spend a LOT of time digging (primarily with basic tools) or moving Mining Wells around.

So, to my question: Do anybody have any suggestions for a better modpack to use?

Should I "downgrade" to Ultimate instead? Are there any other modpacks with GregTech and a couple of more packs to offset its mid-game difficulty? Should I try adding in mods myself? Or just stick with Unhinged, suck it up and dig? Or are there any planned modpacks on the horizon, with both GregTech and those other mods?

Thanks in advance.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
*pokes head out*
Sorry if this first post of mine is anything but simple. I might be breaking a rule or two, excuse me in advance.

I'm one of those "slow" people, who stayed with Tekkit Classic for months before realizing that it wouldn't be updated any more, and that Tekkit Lite was a better choice. So I upgraded to Tekkit Lite, and had great fun with it... and then it was discontinued too. No more updates for that one either. And the new Tekkit doesn't appeal that much to me, lacking IC2 and all.

So I looked around, and in typical student fashion, found out about FTB last week, midway through my exam period. I watched a Let's Play of FTB Ultimate, decided to get it...

...and found out it was discontinued too, almost half a year ago. Yeah, that's me.

What fascinated me about FTB was the controversial GregTech. Machines are fun. Big machines are even more fun. I love setting up big systems for processing and storage, gradually adding parts to my complex factory, saving up for better stuff, etc. As long as every resource has its use, the more complex the merrier. I find joy in planning and setting up the infrastructure required for an efficient system, and build a thriving, living base around it. FTB Ultimate seemed great in that regard. The end-game seemed almost never-ending. There was always a more complex machine or a better piece of armour to aim for.

However, I'm not that big a fan of digging and underground exploration. Running around in dark caves, making labyrinthine mines in the foggy layers near Bedrock, monsters ready to jump at you around every corner, large caverns going who-knows-where in every direction, lava pools where you least expect them... no thanks. Give me the sun of the surface any time.
"Well, I'll let some Turtles do the digging for me," I thought cheerfully and downloaded Unhinged (seeing as Ultimate was discontinued). However, it turns out that Unhinged lacks ComputerCraft, as well as the advanced Buildcraft pipes I've grown to love (especially the Phased pipes make Quarries and Mining Wells all that less complex). To get where I want in Unhinged, it seems like I have to spend a LOT of time digging (primarily with basic tools) or moving Mining Wells around.

So, to my question: Do anybody have any suggestions for a better modpack to use?

Should I "downgrade" to Ultimate instead? Are there any other modpacks with GregTech and a couple of more packs to offset its mid-game difficulty? Should I try adding in mods myself? Or just stick with Unhinged, suck it up and dig? Or are there any planned modpacks on the horizon, with both GregTech and those other mods?

Thanks in advance.
Modpacks with GT are becoming increasingly difficult to make, due to how GT is taking over and changing almost everything. So in the future I think it becomes more a choice of playing vanilla MC, "GT MC" or "Modded MC".

There have been rumours of a new 1.6 pack might happen in the future, but it might be months or more. So far we dont know anything about an ETA, just that it doesn't seem to be in the works yet.

I would probably recommend trying another pack without GT. The new (hopefully) soon released Monster modpack will have a lot of tech modpacks that sort of do what you seem to like from GT. It will have some multiblock machines/tiered machines etc. It will have quarries and turtles etc. so you don't need to manually mine.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
*pokes head out*

*snip*

Currently there are no 1.6 packs planned that include GregTech, as per the latest info we have from this post. If you would like to to stick to official FTB packs, then it'll have to be various 1.4.x packs that include it (like Ultimate), or Unhinged for 1.5.x. Maybe you can add whatever you're missing to Unhinged. Alternatively you could wait until it is implemented into the universal configs, so you can download and add the mod yourself to an official pack. Of course, there is no ETA for when that will be finished.

If that's not to your tastes, you could try third party packs, if there are any, or you could try setting up your own. Particularly the latter option became a lot more easy to do with 1.6 and the new vanilla launcher. Here is a post I made explaining how to do it, and here is a post on how to find and eliminate ID conflicts.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies, both of you!

I too noticed that GregTech has become somewhat invasive ("What? You need tools to craft buckets now?"), and while Greg's vision of a more complex, challenging Minecraft experience sure might be a cool thing, what I like the best is the elusive materials and machinery that makes up his later-game stuff. Among my favourite moments in earlier Tekkit plays is when I finally put together an upgraded rig of Tier 2 machines (Induction Furnace and the like) and get them to reliably support my sorting/storage network, so when I learned that GregTech had Tier 3 machines, it made my infrastructural organs tingle (What are those, you say? No idea, I study engineering, not anatomy). Even cooler was the fact that they looked every bit as badass as they performed, taking up almost thirty times as much room as the Tier 1 and 2 machines, and requiring significant support both to build and run. Oh, but the payoff...
Almost as fun is the moment when you finally collect your first Advanced Alloy, and realize the possibilities of what you might build with this nifty new material. In Tekkit (Lite), stuff like Ferrous or Tungsten ores are just as elusive, but also largely useless. Shiny Metal Ingots have only one (extremely limited) purpose, but are outperformed by other materials already long before you get them. It seems like GregTech has a purpose for all its components, especially the rare ones. That is admirable, albeit the rest of the mod can be frown-worthy at times.

If there are other mods out there building on IC2 - or something similar - like that, please let me know. Until the Monsters pack you mentioned is released (I'll look into it!), I think I'll try playing Ultimate. After all, I have great experience playing outdated modpacks already.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies, both of you!

You could try Unleashed (1.5.2). GT isn't in it and there won't be anymore updates but it has lots of tech mods (IC2, BC, ComputerCraft, AE, MFFS,... + addons). You could also try the new "Techworld 2" (1.6.4, haven't played with it yet) or "Direwolf 20" (1.6.4, with IC2 experimental and a few other things) packs.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
You really should check TE out. While it lacks the impressive look that GT machines have, its inventory manipulation abilities and its flexibility are god-like.

ReaperGuy666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly new to the FTB launcher and modpacks. My question is, can I have a 1.6.4 pack and then download a 1.5.2 pack or lower and not have the 2+ packs interfere with each other? Or do I have to make 2 separate instances myself?

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
You could try Unleashed (1.5.2). GT isn't in it and there won't be anymore updates but it has lots of tech mods (IC2, BC, ComputerCraft, AE, MFFS,... + addons). You could also try the new "Techworld 2" (1.6.4, haven't played with it yet) or "Direwolf 20" (1.6.4, with IC2 experimental and a few other things) packs.

I've played Tekkit Lite extensively, so I know most of the mods you've listed very well already (well, apart from MFFS, that is). Thing is, none of them really have the endgame scope that GregTech offers. They are fun, sure, but I was looking for that little extra bit.

You really should check TE out. While it lacks the impressive look that GT machines have, its inventory manipulation abilities and its flexibility are god-like.

TE? I'm new here, so I don't know all the terminology yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it as soon as I know what it is!

mattyice2424

Jul 29, 2019
The power is stored in order to use it to absorb damage. The nano helmet you used in crafting the helmet will give you armour and prevent damage, but requires power to do so. Therefore the helmet has its own EU storage.
thanx so much mate thats awesome

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly new to the FTB launcher and modpacks. My question is, can I have a 1.6.4 pack and then download a 1.5.2 pack or lower and not have the 2+ packs interfere with each other? Or do I have to make 2 separate instances myself?

Individual packs will never interfere with each other, regardless of version and configuration. Feel free to grab them all!

TE? I'm new here, so I don't know all the terminology yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it as soon as I know what it is!

Thermal Expansion.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
My research on gunpowder. What is up with it not completing? All the things should connect, but turning off 1 aspect connects one side while another connects another side. (the main node thing is in the middle of the red and black one)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387382541909.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387382541909.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 69

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Will cursed earth only disappear when exposed to sunlight, or any light at all? So could I make a room that has no windows, but put torches in it and then be able to turn the cursed earth into a spawning room grinder?

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
Will cursed earth only disappear when exposed to sunlight, or any light at all? So could I make a room that has no windows, but put torches in it and then be able to turn the cursed earth into a spawning room grinder?
Anything above light level 9 I believe will cause it to burn and disappear

Reactions: zorn

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
My research on gunpowder. What is up with it not completing? All the things should connect, but turning off 1 aspect connects one side while another connects another side. (the main node thing is in the middle of the red and black one)

I think you have your path wrong. Basically you must start at the one node that is light to each of the dark unlit nodes. You can't branch from the starting node. From your picture I'm guessing the node toward the middle is where you started from. So your path must go from there to the node in the upper left. Then from the node in the upper left to the other nodes.

Also, as a side note. Use the F2 key to take a screen shot rather than use a camera.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I think you have your path wrong. Basically you must start at the one node that is light to each of the dark unlit nodes. You can't branch from the starting node. From your picture I'm guessing the node toward the middle is where you started from. So your path must go from there to the node in the upper left. Then from the node in the upper left to the other nodes.

Also, as a side note. Use the F2 key to take a screen shot rather than use a camera.
Ah... I see. I'll try that thank you. (also, I didn't have the site up xD my apologies for my crappy camera)

Edit: it looks like in that case, I may as we trash this one and look for a easier one. XD

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Are there really new recipes for the advanced solar panels? I've already read it a few times but wasn't able to find anything else about it.