Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone can recommend a replacement mod for Soul Shards 2 that resembles more like Soul Shards 1?

It's for MC 1.6.4.
I'd be tempted to use some mod to simply pick up spawners and turn them on/off with redstone lamps. Though I suppose the real advantage of Soul Shards was that it would still function even at a distance.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Disable the wire flashing from AE. (in AppliedEnergistics.cfg set "B:gfxCableAnimation=false")
Hmm you made me really exited about this. Have 663 lengths of ME cable in my present network so had high hopes for improved FPS! Sadly only gave about 1-2 FPS, but anything is welcome. Makes the heart of my base a little more tolerable :p

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, SS2 blows. No offense meant against the mod author, it is his mod after all. Though, I would be better off with DartCraft in this instance as the vanilla spawners can be crafted with renewable resources compared to SS2, when the 2 kinds of spawners are identical to each other except for 2 things. One can be picked up using a normal pickaxe and can be activated/deactivated by Redstone signals, while the other is purely vanilla and requires Force Wrench instead.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Yeah, SS2 blows. No offense meant against the mod author, it is his mod after all.
SS1 was widely criticized for being overpowered, the rate that it could spawn mobs at and that they worked even when the player was up to 100 blocks away. It's a no-win situation, I feel sorry for anyone who sticks their neck out by releasing and updating a mod.

HuelerMage

Jul 29, 2019
I really found lots of stuff like Golemancy and soul shards.
The only way to get exp is to kill mobs but you can't get exp through killing them by suffucating them.
So is there a golem that can kill then collect exp or just collect exp when a mob dies?
I am planning to get nice enchancements for my Armor collection and gears.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
SS1 was widely criticized for being overpowered, the rate that it could spawn mobs at and that they worked even when the player was up to 100 blocks away. It's a no-win situation, I feel sorry for anyone who sticks their neck out by releasing and updating a mod.
True. But the only criticism against it is the material required vs it's' function.

Yes, you can spawn them in the overworld but the requirement of it needing the essence which can only be gotten by breaking spawners means you are pretty limited by it.

Compared to how DC handles it by making you grind the mobs for a chance at chunks, which you would need a lot of, to craft a regular spawner.

But adheres to vanilla spawning mechanics of requiring a player near it, so there really isn't much of an advantage to SS2 since one could just place a spawner (blaze, zombie pigmen or wither skeleton) in the nether near their nether portal.

Item sorting could always be sent transdimensional back to base by using either enderstorage or tesseracts.

All in all, all I'm not pleased with the cost to effect ratio. But of course, if he adds in upgrades later on (wouldn't mind the cost of more essences required if it's not too outrageous) to improve the capability of the spawners, I would probably change my tune.

Brisos

Jul 29, 2019
I think a common way of disabling peoples ability to create mystcraft worlds is to simply remove the book binder. That way people can make linking books for easy travel to and from eachothers houses and to mystcraft worlds that you create for them.

And if its just for you and your kid and friends, couldn't you just agree not to use quarries and the likes in overworld? Usually if you set them up with a flat desert world to mine in instead, people don't actually want to mine in overworld any more. Just make it a rule that no one ruins the landscape of overworld(unless they actually want to build something there). If you disable all the means that can be used to ruin the landscape, you will be disabling half the game making it very hard to build anything.

If they can do it they will. It happened on our last tekkit server. I also want to learn how to isolate quarries on separate worlds anyway, just for the know how. I am surprised there is not more detailed guides as I assumed it would be a very typical issue for new FTB hosts.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I really found lots of stuff like Golemancy and soul shards.
The only way to get exp is to kill mobs but you can't get exp through killing them by suffucating them.
So is there a golem that can kill then collect exp or just collect exp when a mob dies?
I am planning to get nice enchancements for my Armor collection and gears.
An iron golem (the thaumcraft one, not the vanilla one) with a visor will let mobs drop exp. The visor is hidden research that requires knowledge fragments. Get 9 fragments, craft them together to get research notes, and then put the research notes into the research table where you'd normally have something being researched (the slot just above where excess paper goes). You may have to do this several times to get the visor.[DOUBLEPOST=1385843826][/DOUBLEPOST]
With MFFS3(Calclavia's version), is there a way to automatically gather drops?
Doesn't the collection module automatically output to an adjacent inventory?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Also keep in mind that SS2 still lets you make custom spawners that work in the overworld. For example blaze & wither skelly.
A vanilla blaze spawner works just fine in the overworld. The advantage is more that you can create spawners for mobs that don't normally have one (i.e. creeper).

For what it's worth, I prefer spawnerless vanilla designs. I like that they're whole structures, not just a room.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the collection module automatically output to an adjacent inventory?

Apparently not, I tried it and it doesn't do anything(the info text says it's only for blocks destroyed by the desintegration matrix).
I also tried the confiscate module with an empty whitelist or a blacklist with the items the mobs drop and it does nothing.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently not, I tried it and it doesn't do anything(the info text says it's only for blocks destroyed by the desintegration matrix).
I also tried the confiscate module with an empty whitelist or a blacklist with the items the mobs drop and it does nothing.
Normally the forcefield doesn't replace existing blocks, you need the disintegration module to make it do that (and thus drop the items to be collected). Confiscate, I believe, strips players of items according to the white/blacklist. I haven't actually tried to use MFFS to kill mobs, but I'd assume the Anti-hostile module possibly with the assistance of the collection module would do the trick.

I found a youtube vid that uses MFFS calclavia to make a quarry similar to the old RP2 tunnel bores.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Disable the wire flashing from AE. (in AppliedEnergistics.cfg set "B:gfxCableAnimation=false")
Use an XP turtle to clean up all the XP dropped by mobs in your mob farm (or use a killing method that doesn't drop XP). Make sure mobs aren't building up in your mob farm.

If your boilers are feeding Industrial Steam Engines, you could try disabling sound in Buildcraft Railcraft config. I believe sound is generally handled better in more recent MC versions, but the Steam Engines were a massive lag-beast in my old world.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If your boilers are feeding Industrial Steam Engines, you could try disabling sound in Buildcraft config. I believe sound is generally handled better in more recent MC versions, but the Steam Engines were a massive lag-beast in my old world.
I think you mean the Railcraft config.

Reactions: un worry

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I think you mean the Railcraft config.

Ooops. :)

Railcraft/Railcraft.cfg said:
# change to 'play.sounds=false' to prevent all mod sounds from playing
#
B: play.sounds=true

The sound libraries were updated in the recent version of MC and I'm not noticing any sound related stuttering or lower FPS ...so far, so good.

FancierEagle3

Jul 29, 2019
How might I change modes on the machine muses' modular power tool I have attempted shift+scroll but that just crouches and scrolls through my Hotbar not sure if this may be part of it but I am playing on a laptop with a wireless mouse.

hyper1on

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to extract items from a chest using something other than a wooden pipe + (redstone engine or autoarchic gate)?

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
How might I change modes on the machine muses' modular power tool I have attempted shift+scroll but that just crouches and scrolls through my Hotbar not sure if this may be part of it but I am playing on a laptop with a wireless mouse.
do you have more thgen one module on your power tool? axe, shovel and pick don't count as they are always avaliable