Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Is there any good, lag free way to generate mass amounts of MJ in the Direwolf20 1.5 pack (several hundred per tick)? I was going to use steam engines, but apparently they can cause quite a bit of FPS lag due to the moving parts, and the pack doesn't appear to have Power Converters, or I'd use those.

If moving engines honestly impact your FPS, you might want to consider turning down your graphics settings...[DOUBLEPOST=1380530235][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've read differing info on how fast insulated copper cable loses EU, is it 1 EU after 4 or 6 blocks? Also, how are the losses counted when you mix cables? Say have a 20 long fiber glass cable with 4 long insulated copper cable at the end going to a machine (assuming packet size through the whole cable is still 32).

Imagine loss as a decimal number that gets everything after the decimal point cut off.

First copper cable: 0.2, which is 0
Second copper cable: 0.4, which is 0
Third copper cable: 0.6, which is 0
Fourth copper cable: 0.8, which is 0
Fifth copper cable: 1.0, which is 1
Sixth copper cable: 1.2, which is 1

And so on. For every copper cable you add 0.2. For every other cable you add whatever the rating for that cable is (for example, glass fiber adds 0.025, an EU splitter cable adds 0.5, etc).

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
If moving engines honestly impact your FPS, you might want to consider turning down your graphics settings...
My friend on the server has a setup with a few dozen industrial steam engines generating a few hundred MJ. When I go over there, my FPS stutters even if I'm not in line-of-sight of the engines, and I understand that that's more of an issue with Minecraft's coding rather than actual graphical rendering problems.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Are you running with the Advanced OpenGL option enabled or disabled? Whichever it is, try toggling it to the other state and going there again, see if it makes a difference.

Until two months ago I was playing on a seven year old CPU that really struggled to handle Minecraft's inefficient, single threaded implementation (I used Vsync to lock myself to 30 FPS to get it at least somewhat consistent), and I never encountered any instance where my game suddenly started stuttering when being near moving engines. Not even when I was running both client and server locally on the same machine. Either you have a computer so hopelessly overtaxed with Minecraft that even a 2006'er system blows it out of the water, or something's misconfigured on the software side.

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
Are you running with the Advanced OpenGL option enabled or disabled? Whichever it is, try toggling it to the other state and going there again, see if it makes a difference.

Until two months ago I was playing on a seven year old CPU that really struggled to handle Minecraft's inefficient, single threaded implementation (I used Vsync to lock myself to 30 FPS to get it at least somewhat consistent), and I never encountered any instance where my game suddenly started stuttering when being near moving engines. Not even when I was running both client and server locally on the same machine. Either you have a computer so hopelessly overtaxed with Minecraft that even a 2006'er system blows it out of the water, or something's misconfigured on the software side.
Considering that I'm running a full gaming rig that can handle modern games flawlessly, I'll look into the software settings, thanks.

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know what version of forge the Direwolf 1.5.2 pack runs? I'm looking around and can't see an exact version number.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
On the Minecraft title screen, it is displayed in the lower left corner.

You can also click the "Mods" button. It should show you a big list with exact version numbers.

Other than that, you should also see the version number in your console output as Forge initializes.

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
On the Minecraft title screen, it is displayed in the lower left corner.

You can also click the "Mods" button. It should show you a big list with exact version numbers.

Other than that, you should also see the version number in your console output as Forge initializes.

Problem with that is my computer doesn't want to run FTB due to my computer needing a Java update, which I cannot do sadly. I can get normal Minecraft running and I have all of the mods together and I know how to install them for the 1.6.2 launcher, just don't know the version number for Forge to work with ChickenCore.

tekkkie

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone perhaps help me automate Applied Energistics?

Lets say I want to auto-craft 64 machine blocks, but have no refined iron. I know how to make it auto-craft the iron to refined iron to machine block.
But is there a way to use multiple furnace at the same time, because smelting 8 stacks of iron to refined iron in a single furnace takes quite a while.
Thanks!

btw: this is just an easy example, I know 8 stacks doesn't take that long with an induction furnace.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
FZ Routers. Materials go into the router, it spreads them out over the adjacent machines, and another router extracts the results. Oh, and you need to make Machine Filters other wise they will treat the Interface just like it was a furnace and try to put things in it. Machine Filters are a pain in the butt as you need to make a Crystallizer to brew up a controller circuit.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Can someone perhaps help me automate Applied Energistics?

Lets say I want to auto-craft 64 machine blocks, but have no refined iron. I know how to make it auto-craft the iron to refined iron to machine block.
But is there a way to use multiple furnace at the same time, because smelting 8 stacks of iron to refined iron in a single furnace takes quite a while.
Thanks!

btw: this is just an easy example, I know 8 stacks doesn't take that long with an induction furnace.

Make a pattern for 1 iron = 1 refined iron. Take a ME interface place it on top of the furnace and place an import bus on the side of the furnace. Place the refined iron pattern in the interface (do not place the recipe in the MAC). You should be able request the refined iron now. Next make a pattern for for machine block and place it in your MAC. You should now be able to on-demand get the machine blocks.

tekkkie

Jul 29, 2019
Make a pattern for 1 iron = 1 refined iron. Take a ME interface place it on top of the furnace and place an import bus on the side of the furnace. Place the refined iron pattern in the interface (do not place the recipe in the MAC). You should be able request the refined iron now. Next make a pattern for for machine block and place it in your MAC. You should now be able to on-demand get the machine blocks.

This is just what I did, but my problem with this setup is that the system only uses 1 interface and 1 furnace. With 8 stacks of iron that takes a little to long for my liking.
(a better example might be making 9 stacks ruby dust out of 90 stacks redstone. With 150 second per operation, this would take ages in just 1 centrifuge)

tekkkie

Jul 29, 2019
FZ Routers. Materials go into the router, it spreads them out over the adjacent machines, and another router extracts the results. Oh, and you need to make Machine Filters other wise they will treat the Interface just like it was a furnace and try to put things in it. Machine Filters are a pain in the butt as you need to make a Crystallizer to brew up a controller circuit.

Thanks for your help. This seems to work brilliantly. I used a second router with ejector upgrade, which ejects to a interface to get items back into the system.
Perhaps using an import bus would have been easier. I just thought that up while typing this reaction.:D

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
This is just what I did, but my problem with this setup is that the system only uses 1 interface and 1 furnace. With 8 stacks of iron that takes a little to long for my liking.
(a better example might be making 9 stacks ruby dust out of 90 stacks redstone. With 150 second per operation, this would take ages in just 1 centrifuge)

You can only use one interface with ME to make the recipe. However, what you do for the processing is up to you. You could try the following to speed up the process.

ME interface with the refined iron pattern on a chest. Use a BC wooden pipe and gate to pull iron out of the chest. Then use a round robin pipe to evenly distribute the iron to 4 furnaces. Place import buses on each of the furnaces.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
in 1.14 unleashed is there a way to keep 7 overclocked heat vents, 3 component heat vent and 2 component heat exchangers in a ender chest? I want it to refill just that many of those items if i pull some out.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
in 1.14 unleashed is there a way to keep 7 overclocked heat vents, 3 component heat vent and 2 component heat exchangers in a ender chest? I want it to refill just that many of those items if i pull some out.
On the supply end, put a ME interface told to keep those in stock, put translocators between the interface and the ender chest, then tell the receiving translocator to keep those in stock.[DOUBLEPOST=1380586173][/DOUBLEPOST]Of course, this implies that you have a ME system that can supply those, and hopefully a MAC that's capable of crafting those for you if you don't have enough in storage.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
On the supply end, put a ME interface told to keep those in stock, put translocators between the interface and the ender chest, then tell the receiving translocator to keep those in stock.[DOUBLEPOST=1380586173][/DOUBLEPOST]Of course, this implies that you have a ME system that can supply those, and hopefully a MAC that's capable of crafting those for you if you don't have enough in storage.
I don't see translocators. Which mod adds this?

thx yes i have a ME system that can auto craft all that. I have routers set up, so that once i set down a new nuclear reactor. it will stock all the stuff in the right spots. \

The thing is my sons laptops have problems running in areas that I have a lot of automated process going, so i am trying to split it up across several mystcraft ages. I use my main ME system to send things to smaller Me systems. It is working out great so far.

I am using lapatron crystals and routers to get power from my Power world to my production world.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

thx yes i have a ME system that can auto craft all that. I have routers set up, so that once i set down a new nuclear reactor. it will stock all the stuff in the right spots. \

The thing is my sons laptops have problems running in areas that I have a lot of automated process going, so i am trying to split it up across several mystcraft ages. I use my main ME system to send things to smaller Me systems. It is working out great so far.

I am using lapatron crystals and routers to get power from my Power world to my production world.

Sound like another solution would be to use Golems. The adv. golem can do what your describing. Just place an interface down with the stock you want kept (put a marker block next to the interface. Then tell the Golem to move the exact amounts into the ender chest.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. I could have sworn that the Translocators mod (which adds translocators) was in Unleashed. *goes to check*

Yep, mixed which FTB pack had Translocators added. It's the DW20 pack that has it by default. I forgot I had manually added it to Unleashed.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Just installed transloactor from direwolfs pack to unleashed. It won't keep a set of items in the ender chest. It will just keep adding them.