Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Tavid

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have a pumping system in the nether to the overworld going into a geo thermal generator and next to it a MFE, how come I cannot connect anything to the MFE? I mean I can but it blows up when trying to use it! Help is appreciated.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have a pumping system in the nether to the overworld going into a geo thermal generator and next to it a MFE, how come I cannot connect anything to the MFE? I mean I can but it blows up when trying to use it! Help is appreciated.
A MFE outputs 128 EU/t. This means you have to use gold cabling or better to connect to it. Copper and tin cabling will burn up when connected to it. I'd recommend just taking the plunge and using glass fiber; it's usable with most voltages you'll come across.

Also, most machines only accept 32 EU/t before they explode. To remedy this, you'll need to make voltage upgrades (forget their exact name) and put them into the machine BEFORE you connect the higher power.

Alternately, you could put a MV transformer and downstep the 128 EU/t into 4x 32 EU/t and not have to worry about upgrades or higher tier cabling.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
A MFE outputs 128 EU/t. This means you have to use gold cabling or better to connect to it. Copper and tin cabling will burn up when connected to it. I'd recommend just taking the plunge and using glass fiber; it's usable with most voltages you'll come across.

Also, most machines only accept 32 EU/t before they explode. To remedy this, you'll need to make voltage upgrades (forget their exact name) and put them into the machine BEFORE you connect the higher power.

Alternately, you could put a MV transformer and downstep the 128 EU/t into 4x 32 EU/t and not have to worry about upgrades or higher tier cabling.

*LV transformer. MV converts back and forth from 512 to 128 EU. LV will convert 128 EU (what the MFE outputs) to 32 EU, what tier one machines accept.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
thanks, just wanted to say i got jungle saplings but how many do i need, i have 4 as of now

Depending on your specific configuration, mfr tree farms can be sapling-positive. To maximize sapling growth, have only one dirt block in the planter's area of effect where a tree could be planted. The lower density results in more saplings per tree. You can mess with the configuration until you find one that gives you the best ratio of saplings to efficiency of space.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
On the topic of which trees to use for tree farms, for what it's worth - I once spent a bit of boredom on testing how well different Forestry trees perform in a multifarm arboretum. Now obviously this doesn't cover nearly all trees one could choose, and the results might be multifarm specific (spruce and oak are both changed noticably by converting to Forestry genome). The data set is also unfinished and I'm not sure I'll ever bother to finish it since it was very tedious to do. Finally, it includes only pure trees and ignores the ability to cross traits as you please.

But I figured I might as well post it somewhere.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44754370/treealyze.png

Each tree was put into a minimum size (3x3) arboretum and given two hours time, starting from the first tree growth event. The sapling count is given minus the initial investment to plant the farm (as you'll notice in some cases, not all trees are able to consistently produce saplings). It was generally observed that 2x2 trunk sizes weren't hurt much, but 3x3 sizes really struggled in the confines of the small tree farm; larger trunk sizes will scale much better to larger farms than small trunk sizes.

Bottom line, however, regardless of what kind of tree farm you run... if you're after pure wood count, get yourself a Yellow Meranti. Good grief that thing was insane.

Reactions: Equitime77

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Also, anyone know why i cant get my engines gto face the steam pipe correctly, they just point up and refuse to move, they only go left or right[DOUBLEPOST=1380482046][/DOUBLEPOST]heres an example:http://imgur.com/EIAGTAX

Buildcraft engines will only face things they can output power into. Other engines are a valid destination for power, plain air however isn't.

If you first place the wooden pipes or conduits that accept the power and then try to rotate (or place) the engines, you will be able to orientate them properly.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Make a 3x3 square of dirt where you want the farm. The planter should be underneath the middle square of dirt. The harvester should be in the layer above the dirt, facing the dirt and directly outside the middle of one side.
For example:
Top layer:
XXX
XXXH
XXX
Middle:
DDD
DDD
DDD
Bottom:
XXX
XPX
XXX
X - Nothing; H - Harvester; D - Dirt; P -Planter

DPowerGTX

Jul 29, 2019
so id put the jungle saplings in the planter, and then pump the wood and saplings out and into a powered furnace and finally into my boiler?

and how will i power this?

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
And yet none of those are viable... Since I want to break obsidian Im actually placing down myself on the offchance I misplace it. This structure is 3822 obsidian blocks. Im bound(And have) to put down an extra block and need to break it. Ive been mining them normally with my cobalt/manny pick but its still not zomgfast cause fuuuu obsidian.

So then wand of equal trade is still a million times better.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. I always get that mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

You'll enjoy IC2 Experimental then, which changes all the transformers to different categories. :p

(well actually the transformers stay the same, but everything else gets bumped up a tier, so you need MV where you used to need LV, and so on...)

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
so id put the jungle saplings in the planter, and then pump the wood and saplings out and into a powered furnace and finally into my boiler?

and how will i power this?

Be sure to send saplings back into the planter, not the furnace, but yep, that's how it works.
As for power, there are plenty of options. You could kick-start it, then have it power itself, or have some other sort of power running to the machines to isolate your networks, it's really up to you. You also might want to add a fertilizer to speed up the process, depending on how large your boiler is.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you use a MAC from AE to craft a Unstable Ingot from Extra Utilities? Does it explode right away? If so, where? If not, awesome, gonna try that at some point.

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Is there any good, lag free way to generate mass amounts of MJ in the Direwolf20 1.5 pack (several hundred per tick)? I was going to use steam engines, but apparently they can cause quite a bit of FPS lag due to the moving parts, and the pack doesn't appear to have Power Converters, or I'd use those.

Biogenerators from MFR are nice, but I don't want to have bred these refined bees for nothing.

Lordofbone

Jul 29, 2019
I've read differing info on how fast insulated copper cable loses EU, is it 1 EU after 4 or 6 blocks? Also, how are the losses counted when you mix cables? Say have a 20 long fiber glass cable with 4 long insulated copper cable at the end going to a machine (assuming packet size through the whole cable is still 32).