Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
10 stacks of quartz should be a good start. Until you start making an MAC.

I recommend just using a lot of 16k disks, due to all the disk types holding exactly 63 different item types, only with a varying storage capacity on each one.
So someone with 4 16k disks can store tha same amount of individual items as a person with a 64k disk, howeve true person with the 4 16k disks can have 252 different item types as opposed to 63.
However, using bigger disks is technically cheaper for the same storage capacity, but if you really need that much of a single item, a DSU with a storage bus may be a better choice.
And in 1.4.7 of course you don't need Nether quartz, as its added in 1.5 :p however you do in 1.5.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
10 stacks of quartz should be a good start. Until you start making an MAC.

I recommend just using a lot of 16k disks, due to all the disk types holding exactly 63 different item types, only with a varying storage capacity on each one.
So someone with 4 16k disks can store tha same amount of individual items as a person with a 64k disk, howeve true person with the 4 16k disks can have 252 different item types as opposed to 63.
However, using bigger disks is technically cheaper for the same storage capacity, but if you really need that much of a single item, a DSU with a storage bus may be a better choice.
And in 1.4.7 of course you don't need Nether quartz, as its added in 1.5 :p however you do in 1.5.
I guess the final question.

Did FTB skip 1.5 and just wait for 1.6 to update the MC it's running on? Will I still be able to play my current world... So much work =(

And.. What is a MAC lol

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
FTB did release 2 beta packs, based upon the Ultimate pack for 1.5.2
They were available through private codes in the launcher, either 152wgt for the one with GT, or 152ngt for the one without.
Apparently dartcrafts amazing force tools and GT don't fit well together :/ RR thinks otherwise.
But they won't be forwards, not backwards, compatible.

And MAC stands for Molecular Assembly Chamber, and I is the large multiblock structure used for
AE autocrafting. It's shitly expensive.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
"But the won't be forwards, not backwards, compatible"

They will be forward compatible? Hopefully, heh...

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
"Won't be forwards, NOR backwards compatible"

Trying to update your 1.4.7 map to this will break everything, and any maps won't be compatible with FTB 1.6

I simply mispelt - my iPod screen is only a certain size, and "t" and "r" are right beside each other. I frequently replace "I"s with "o"s, due to them being beside each other, particularly in the work "if".

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
You can try Stuffing everything into your inv, and then copying your player.dat file over to the new version?

It won't help ID changes though.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Why do you suggest modulation of AE systems to manage separate processes? To keep the inventories organized and clutter free? What are the advantages/disadvantages that you are implying (I may already know them, but I'd like to hear them please)
Running multiple AE Networks has some limited advantages, primarily the ability to isolate un-preformated Storage Cells. Especially if you're not running an ME Storage Bus to a Factorization DSU, it's quite easy to suddenly overflow a network's full array of Storage Cells at once with materials like cobble, wheat, or wood and saplings. With multiple networks, that only jams the connected network; with a single unified network, you can end up having nuclear power plant issues because of an overactive quarry.

((That said, it's probably better to void pipe cobble after the first 30k+, unless you have extraordinary need of it, and set up level emitters to turn off automated farming after a certain point.))

If you're in a GregTech situation, or other environment that requires a lot of preprocessing, it also allows simpler handling of small piles of dusts.

You also don't have a single point of failure from a power perspective, unless you intentionally add it. ME Networks doing a large amount of operations can take significant levels of energy surprisingly quickly over short periods, with related potential downtime. (Conversely, each ME Network will have a smaller internal energy buffer.))

The downside is mostly cost. Each ME Network Controller costs a diamond and four Quartz, you'll have at least 4 ME energy per tick (2 EU, ~1.5 MJ) in additional energy requirements, and multiple networks are generally less efficient with storage space.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, security, redundancy, etc. All the same =).

I recycle 100% of my cobble since I have 1024 stacks of cobble lying around. I won't need more than that in ever.

Excellent. Your suggestions cover all my worries about using AE. All my considerations for using AE have been confirmed by you, which is awesome. I think AE will be within the next few projects. Still fiddling around with my matter fabrication system. Eats power like a -----, really gotta focus on automation heh.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know why my AE always hangs up when making solars? I provided the patterns to make every single piece of item needed to make up to medium solar arrays. I have an interface on most of my machines to do stuff such as iron dust to iron, iron to ref iron, sand to glass, etc. It runs fine until it gets to a point where it needs a generator machine block refined iron iron. Even though I have iron dust in my AE system it just wont go. I need to manually clear out the system by shift clicking the items 'currently crafting' before it'll restart. Its annoying to say the least. I thought it was because I had 2 induction furnaces with different recipes so I put them into one interface over 1 induction furnace, but even then it will always freeze up at this step.

http://i.imgur.com/9DrHc7A.png

That is where it will always freeze. Then I need to shift click it to clear the currently crafting before it will start up again.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
it takes time to make some of that stuff? refined iron takes time....

your making it from dust - iron - refined thats a lot of time to smelt

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
it takes time to make some of that stuff? refined iron takes time....

your making it from dust - iron - refined thats a lot of time to smelt

That would make sense if thats what happened. Nothing goes on in my furnace either. And refined iron takes 2 seconds. Dust to iron to refined iron is literally 2 seconds. Not infinite time. As I said, it works perfectly when I clear it with shift click, then it starts making items again. But if it ever gets to needing all these items at once it will freeze, my smelter will sit there, the AE interface will sit there, nothing will happen. This is a 100% heat induction furnace, its about .5 seconds for any smelt.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
it's because it's trys to skip the refined iron as it's waiting for it to be made....you have a few things that needs it best to make a level emitter and keep a stack of it in the system and have it's own smelting machine...

Reactions: un worry

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
it's because it's trys to skip the refined iron as it's waiting for it to be made....you have a few things that needs it best to make a level emitter and keep a stack of it in the system and have it's own smelting machine...

Ick. I have it smelting as it comes in, have 2 quarreys running and iron being supplied as it comes on. So basically Im up poop creek without a paddle. Should just let my quarrys run, build a mass of iron then run the autocrafting so I can have a bunch in the system and not hit this problem.

Im still moderately new to all this though, so what exactly would a level emitter do? I do have an extra furnace just sitting there doing nothing, so I could work it as I need. But I still dont know every intricate thing I could do to improve this whole process.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started a short lifed world waiting for the 1.5.2 release with a small tweak, everything has to happen underground. So, after some planning I set up a treefarm and I was about to go on with my usual setup, biomass to biofuel to combustion engines but watching some youtubers' series, I realized almost everybody went with liquid fueled steam boilers, so here's my simple question: which of the two setups is more efficient in terms of MJ per biofuel bucket? Combustion engine or 36 HP boiler?

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started a short lifed world waiting for the 1.5.2 release with a small tweak, everything has to happen underground. So, after some planning I set up a treefarm and I was about to go on with my usual setup, biomass to biofuel to combustion engines but watching some youtubers' series, I realized almost everybody went with liquid fueled steam boilers, so here's my simple question: which of the two setups is more efficient in terms of MJ per biofuel bucket? Combustion engine or 36 HP boiler?

guess it depends what you plan to do with the steam from the boiler

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
The 36-sized steam boilers are the most efficient, at 9k MJ/HU if you run the thing for hundreds of hours and consume all of the output energy. You need to run the boiler for more than 19 hours just to meet combustion engine efficiency, and consume or store every drop of steam that comes out. For short periods of time, or if you're setting up engines at a dig site, you can get a quite good 6k MJ/HU from a combustion engine instantly.

((Conversely, small liquid-fueled boilers are fast to heat up, but always more inefficient than combustion engines; they never make sense to use.))

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Another question. I know I saw this on a minecraft stream, but what mod allows you to make like sextuple compressed cobblestone? Im almost at 300k cobblestone and I dont wanna get rid of it but I dont know what else to do with it. My AE storage is dying cause of it. Figured compressing it would be very good.