Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I believe one cycle costs 800 EU, not 625, so that might be your mistake.

And the not wasting energy advantage is still true, you just gotta keep your generator from overproducing. Use it to charge the batbox when it's empty, and not to provide power for machines.

Geothermal generators, by the way, only produce on-demand and will never waste EU. All other sources however (including nuclear reactors) will happy run regardless of whether or not there's a place to put their energy.
The way I solved it, which was surprisingly easy, was by having a few batboxes like this:
Code:
(G)(B1)(B2)(B3)(B4)(M)
     C   R   R

(B1) set to "Don't output energy when having redstone signal, (B2) set to "Output redstone signal when full" and (B3) set to "Output redstone signal when empty". R is redstone and C is the computer.
Then I just made a simple t-flipflop script on the computer (even someone as programming illiterate as I found it easy with an internet reference) so that when it gets redstone from right side it switches between on/off redstone towards (B1).

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of TE and hoppers, I had a working ore processor, but one day the hoppers stopped putting stuff in the machines. Any idea why, or a fix?

Hoppers turn off when they receive redstone signal.
Perhaps some stray redstone (engine perhaps?) is touching the hopper?

And regards to quarrying, just creating a mystcraft age for quarrying (no dense ores or crap) and the. Having the entire server direct all their quarry's there would work, of course one needs a plains type and a wet (ocean etc) and a dry (desert, savanna) - mushroom island does both. Also an extreme hills for emerald is recommended.
In fact, with BoP, a Mushroom forest (bauxite) and a Mushroom island (ruby+Saphire) will make a very shrooms world, and have all nessessary biomes.

Just make a wheat farm for emeralds.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to implement maximum amount of items the AE can craft at one time?

I know normally it doesn't need to, but for the crafting recipes that I have feeding into pipes, if I tell it to craft more than 32 or even 1 for redstone energy cells, then it will end up spitting items out of the pipes and jamming later because it's still waiting for the items to craft. So, is there a way to say for example, if you're crafting redstone energy cells, you can't do more than one at a time, once you have that one you're processing back, make the next one.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Technically extreme furnaces from better furnaces. But thats a separate mod, dunno if its 1.5.2 yet and it actually requires coal and not some form of power.

That said. I made my base, flooded it with flux in attempts to make my wand. Made my wand. Made goggles. Found out there is a creepy node of something about 150 blocks from my base sucking up purple stuff. Goggles gave me a A 650/650.

None of this is a problem. But I wanted to plant my saplings. And planting one ofcourse gave me a small node beside my tower. How can I plant more though, since each needs to be in atleast the range of 100. Behind my tower the aura is still at 650. Do I just plant all my trees at once there and then the nodes will combine?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Technically extreme furnaces from better furnaces. But thats a separate mod, dunno if its 1.5.2 yet and it actually requires coal and not some form of power.

That said. I made my base, flooded it with flux in attempts to make my wand. Made my wand. Made goggles. Found out there is a creepy node of something about 150 blocks from my base sucking up purple stuff. Goggles gave me a A 650/650.

None of this is a problem. But I wanted to plant my saplings. And planting one ofcourse gave me a small node beside my tower. How can I plant more though, since each needs to be in atleast the range of 100. Behind my tower the aura is still at 650. Do I just plant all my trees at once there and then the nodes will combine?

If you want to combine them, yes

Have a read through the first post in this thread, will provide you some useful information about aura nodes
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/aura-and-you-all-about-thaumcraft-3-aura-mechanics.7792/

cfrostyscriv

Jul 29, 2019
How do i remove the recipe of the canvas bag via server config?
want to avoid client/server having to install any other mods.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
whats the fastest furnace ?

From: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/so-many-furnaces-help.20168/

(Note that DM furnace and RM furnace aren't available in FTB anymore, I think. At least, they aren't available in Ultimate)

Speed (number of input items processed per second):
  1. Electric Furnace with 13 overclocker upgrades. Smelts 20 items per second (the maximum possible) but consumes a buttload of power (1351 EU/t) and is inefficient (less than 3 items from 4000 EU). Fewer overclocker upgrades will reduce the power consumption and slow it down, but 11-12 overclockers is actually less efficient due to rounding and 10 overclockers is slower than the RM furnace.
  2. RM Furnace. Smelts 6.7 items per second, doubles your ores (so you can skip the macerator) and is about 40% more efficient when burning EMC from a Klein Star than a vanilla furnace burning charcoal. As of Technic 7.2.6, when using charcoal, it is 4x as efficient as a Klein Star (might be a bug), but 64 charcoal doesn't last horribly long in one of these.
  3. Induction Furnace. Smelts 3.1 items per second (by smelting 2 items per operation), and you can smelt nearly 40 items off of 4000 EU, but it has to heat up first and you require a small amount of power to maintain the heat.
  4. DM Furnace. Smelts 2.2 items per second, doubles half of your ores, and as efficient as RM Furnace.
  5. Arcane Furnace with 4 bellows. Smelts an item every ~1.6 seconds without vis, or about one item per second with vis. It's also really fuel-efficient (44 smelts per charcoal without vis, or 108 with vis).
  6. Powered Furnace or Induction Smelter. When fully powered they smelt an item every 2.5 seconds. The former is somewhat efficient (10.7 smelts from 1600 MJ); the latter is inefficient (3.6 smelts from 1600 MJ), consumes 1 sand per smelt, and only takes ores, but doubles them and produces slag as a byproduct.
  7. Blulectric Furnace. When fully powered, smelts an item every 5 seconds.
  8. Iron Furnace. Smelts an item every 8 seconds.
  9. (Basic) Arcane Furnace. Smelts an item every 9 seconds.
  10. Vanilla Furnace. Smelts an item every 10 seconds. The slowest furnace, unless you include an electrically-powered furnace not receiving enough power.
(Fuel or Fuel Equivalent) Efficiency:

Unrankable: Blulectric Furnace. Doesn't use fuel, and both RedPower Blutricity sources are renewable (you need 9 solar panels to maintain full speed during the day, assuming you use the furnace continuously). One BT battery gives just under 15 smelts.
  1. Arcane Furnace with 4 bellows. Without vis, you get 44 smelts per charcoal. With vis, you get 108 smelts per charcoal. It also saves your burn level when it's not smelting. Even with only 3 bellows, with vis you get about 51 smelts from a charcoal. The vis cost is not too high for what it does (1 vis per fuel burned and 0.25 vis per smelt), but see below.
  2. RM Furnace and DM Furnace, which give 44.5 smelts per charcoal, but this might be a bug since regular coal (worth 4 times as much in EE) gives the same number of smelts, and 32 EMC (which is what charcoal is worth in a tablet/condenser) only gives 11.1 smelts. Use charcoal if you can keep it fueled up and have a lot of items to smelt. Don't use wood as the fuel. Alchemical coal, Mobius Fuel, Aeternalis Fuel, and Lava Buckets smelt what you'd expect from their EMC value. There is one catch: If the furnace runs out of stuff to smelt, it will discard the remaining burn time on your fuel.
  3. Induction Furnace. 4000 EU gives 38.4 items smelted, but you need to get to 100% heat first, and you need a bit of power to keep it at 100% heat when it's not running.
  4. Electric Furnace, with exactly 1 overclocker. Due to rounding of the EU/t cost (it rounds down to 4 EU/t), it's better than 0 overclockers and smelts (just under) 11 items per 4000 EU.
  5. Powered Furnace from Thermal Expansion. You get 10.7 smelts from 1600 MJ.
  6. Electric Furnace, without overclockers. You get 10.3 smelts from 4000 EU.
  7. Iron Furnace. 10 smelts from a charcoal.
  8. (Basic) Arcane Furnace. Just under 9 smelts from a charcoal.
  9. Vanilla Furnace. 8 smelts per charcoal. It's definitely not the least efficient furnace, but those with less efficiency either have a much better speed or yield.
Yield:
  1. Arcane Furnace with 4 bellows and vis. With every smelt there's a chance of getting double, triple, or more of the expected result, and on average you get roughly 60% more than you would from a regular furnace (when using 4 bellows; fewer reduces the boost). The main advantage over other resource-doubling furnaces is that this works on everything, not just ores. It works on ores, IC2 dust, food, cobblestone, etc. It is indeed possible to create some inter-mod abuse loops with this, smelting IC2 dusts (especially gold) then re-macerating them back to dust. However, each extra result produced consumes 1 vis and adds 2% to Taint charge.
  2. RM Furnace. Easy to use and doubles your ores, but doesn't work on dust (it smelts it but doesn't double it), so it won't actually increase your yield if you have a Macerator, but you won't need your macerator anymore.
  3. Induction Smelter. Doubles your ores and produces slag which you can make Rockwool with, but it's inefficient on fuel/energy and gobbles up Sand. It can smelt onlyores and pulverized ores. I put this below the RM Furnace due to the low efficiency and sand consumption.
  4. DM Furnace. Easy to use and doubles half of your ores, but doesn't work on dust (it smelts it but doesn't double it). Only improves your yield if you weren't using a Macerator before.
  5. The rest.
Automation:
  1. Powered Furnace or Induction Smelter. Runs off of MJ, automatically outputs into pipes and inventories, and you can re-configure the input and output sides to your liking.
  2. DM/RM Furnaces. They automatically unload their output into an adjacent chest, and collectors can feed it with EMC automatically.
  3. Blulectric furnace. It doesn't burn fuel and its input and output faces are convenient (left for input, right for output).
  4. Any furnace that doesn't burn fuel (uses EU/MJ/Blutricity instead), as you don't have to worry about feeding it fuel (just connect the power) and just worry about the input/output.
  5. Other furnaces, including your basic Furnace from vanilla Minecraft.
  6. Arcane furnace. To upgrade this with bellows requires occupation of the side faces, and to connect a vis source occupies another face. To include these in your automatic line you'll need to do without some of the bellows or do something really clever with RP Frames. The only thing going for it here are the 9 input slots and 9 output slots.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
My Turtle program is giving me an error saying I'm missing an "<eof>" at the very end of my program. I know it's an "End of File" but I don't know how to solve the error.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
My Turtle program is giving me an error saying I'm missing an "<eof>" at the very end of my program. I know it's an "End of File" but I don't know how to solve the error.

That usually means you've got an extra terminator, usually an end, else, or until.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
That usually means you've got an extra terminator, usually an end, else, or until.
Yup, extra "end". Thanks.

Also, I had a few questions about steam boilers and the like. I'm trying to figure out if I should use steam boilers in the first place, but I'm not sure. From what I've seen, it sounds like steam boilers are a lot of hassle to set up, operate, and maintain. I've got a big tank of biomass 98% full that I have to do something with soon, but I don't produce biomass quickly. My set up now is rather slow at making biomass, like little trickles into the pipes every few seconds. So I'd like to convert it at a rate that won't drain my biofuel, but be at a quick enough rate to produce and store power when it's needed.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, extra "end". Thanks.

Also, I had a few questions about steam boilers and the like. I'm trying to figure out if I should use steam boilers in the first place, but I'm not sure. From what I've seen, it sounds like steam boilers are a lot of hassle to set up, operate, and maintain. I've got a big tank of biomass 98% full that I have to do something with soon, but I don't produce biomass quickly. My set up now is rather slow at making biomass, like little trickles into the pipes every few seconds. So I'd like to convert it at a rate that won't drain my biofuel, but be at a quick enough rate to produce and store power when it's needed.

Try to connect a single still and produce biofuel. If you produce more biomass than the still can distill into fuel you'll be fine for a single HP 36 boiler (max size).

And yeah, they're somewhat complex to setup but that makes them a lot of fun IMHO. They look so 'industrial' with the big ass boiler, pipes and all the engines.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
A lot of the answer, regarding steam boilers, depends on how much power you regularly consume. Small boilers don't make sense at all for liquid fuel, and large boilers only make sense if you have reliable baseline power consumption of at least 40 MJ/t. If you just need power draw on command -- and for many people, that's what Buildcraft power goes to -- boilers are a massive amount of infrastructure for little less efficiency than a battery of combustion engines would provide.