Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I very briefly started an infinity expert mode game the other day, and I noticed that if I try to make a furnace normally, I get a half slab furnace, but if I make a furnace out of compressed cobblestone, I make a regular one.

But, what's the difference between them?

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I very briefly started an infinity expert mode game the other day, and I noticed that if I try to make a furnace normally, I get a half slab furnace, but if I make a furnace out of compressed cobblestone, I make a regular one.

But, what's the difference between them?
Nothing.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Also, you may have to make some things in the full sized oven, similar to the way that some "quest mode" packs do not recognize items crafted for a quest reward until you pick them up from a Vanilla style crafting table.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Speaking of buildcraft. Are the buildcraft robots in the version that's in Infinity? I don't think I've ever seen anyone talking about them, and I thought I had read they were taken out of it at one point, but I'm not sure. Some of these references are out of date.

Or is it that people don't talk about it because they're not worth using? In text, the idea of them seems interesting. But maybe I'd just be better off with thaumcraft golems anyway?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of buildcraft. Are the buildcraft robots in the version that's in Infinity? I don't think I've ever seen anyone talking about them, and I thought I had read they were taken out of it at one point, but I'm not sure. Some of these references are out of date.

Or is it that people don't talk about it because they're not worth using? In text, the idea of them seems interesting. But maybe I'd just be better off with thaumcraft golems anyway?
In my experience, TC Golems are much easier to use and more reliable, as well. We tried to use BC Robots in our Regrowth playthrough, but they kept wandering off, destroying things, and otherwise being more pain than they were worth. Cool concept, but never quite finished from what I've seen.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
In my experience, TC Golems are much easier to use and more reliable, as well. We tried to use BC Robots in our Regrowth playthrough, but they kept wandering off, destroying things, and otherwise being more pain than they were worth. Cool concept, but never quite finished from what I've seen.
Ah bugger :( I was just about to go into Robots in my regrowth playthough! That's a little disappointing. Did any of them work OK?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah bugger :( I was just about to go into Robots in my regrowth playthough! That's a little disappointing. Did any of them work OK?

We tried a few different setups, but they always ended up getting lost. Occasionally this meant they just dug a hole (which we could follow) until they ran out of power, but the ones we tried to use to harvest our essence crops on the surface would run off without reason. Once, one of our harvesters ran off to the next field over, and it took up residence there (causing issues for the one who lived there originally). Once I watched one run off into the sunset - I followed him for a long run, as he burrowed his way into a nearby mountain before running out of power. On more than one occasion, I would log in to a few holes in my house, knowing that the robots had gone AWOL again.

Golems were a welcome change, even though we had done that setup many times before. As derpy as Golems can be, they simply work most of the time. Hopefully you have better luck. If you figure it out, I would love to see an overview of your setup for reference.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
We tried a few different setups, but they always ended up getting lost. Occasionally this meant they just dug a hole (which we could follow) until they ran out of power, but the ones we tried to use to harvest our essence crops on the surface would run off without reason. Once, one of our harvesters ran off to the next field over, and it took up residence there (causing issues for the one who lived there originally). Once I watched one run off into the sunset - I followed him for a long run, as he burrowed his way into a nearby mountain before running out of power. On more than one occasion, I would log in to a few holes in my house, knowing that the robots had gone AWOL again.

Golems were a welcome change, even though we had done that setup many times before. As derpy as Golems can be, they simply work most of the time. Hopefully you have better luck. If you figure it out, I would love to see an overview of your setup for reference.
Crikey!!! :eek:

Its harvesting that I'd be using them for - I was just going to go hopperhocks for pickup, as I've seen robots being a bit derpy with picking things up on Duncan's Project Ozone 2 series. Were they all digging holes in your base regardless of the type? I haven't yet built any robots as I started to make the redstone crystal for one and realised rapidly that I didn't have the power or laser infrastructure to make it reasonable yet!

If I manage to get them working in a reliable fashion, I'll make sure I set out how I did it and any extra steps I needed to take.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Crikey!!! :eek:

Its harvesting that I'd be using them for - I was just going to go hopperhocks for pickup, as I've seen robots being a bit derpy with picking things up on Duncan's Project Ozone 2 series. Were they all digging holes in your base regardless of the type? I haven't yet built any robots as I started to make the redstone crystal for one and realised rapidly that I didn't have the power or laser infrastructure to make it reasonable yet!

If I manage to get them working in a reliable fashion, I'll make sure I set out how I did it and any extra steps I needed to take.

Yeah, we opted for the same Robot/Hopperhock system you're proposing. It worked well in small areas with supervision - a 9x9 field on a "push button to harvest" basis was ok. Left to their own devices in any sort of full automation, they consistently lost their damn minds. Once we were sick of chasing after them, we swapped them out for Harvest Golems and never looked back (Hopperhocks still worked well for collection).

We only briefly touched the surface of other robot types and functions. We figured after the experience we had so far, other options were easier and more rewarding.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, we opted for the same Robot/Hopperhock system you're proposing. It worked well in small areas with supervision - a 9x9 field on a "push button to harvest" basis was ok. Left to their own devices in any sort of full automation, they consistently lost their damn minds. Once we were sick of chasing after them, we swapped them out for Harvest Golems and never looked back (Hopperhocks still worked well for collection).

We only briefly touched the surface of other robot types and functions. We figured after the experience we had so far, other options were easier and more rewarding.
Ahh bother. I was thinking of a very similar system (small-ish areas being harvested, with walls in between and a robot for each area), but was going to try and keep them fully automated. As far as I can tell, you can put the docking station and gate onto an emerald kinesis pipe, which should allow it to charge when its not harvesting...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So, would it be feasible to build a big ole castle with a village around it and sort of populate it with golems that actually do things? That's kind of what I'm envisioning, but I want to make sure it'd work.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So, would it be feasible to build a big ole castle with a village around it and sort of populate it with golems that actually do things? That's kind of what I'm envisioning, but I want to make sure it'd work.
Goodness me, yes! Thaumcraft golems are really quite flexible. And if you're on Regrowth, towards the end there is the Millenaire villages that you can create that really can add to the flavour of the world!