Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SirSquidlyEsquire

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow... i feel so stupid. I just figured out what was wrong. I've fixed it now, but thank you guys for responding :)

Oh, and if you want to laugh at my stupidity, i had the redstone energy cell reacting to a redstone signal on low, so when the logic gate was active, it wouldn't let the cell run. I fixed it by turning it to "ignored"

This is going on my shame list....

Reactions: jumpfight5

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a relatively simple way to 1. get mulch made from a squeezer into a fermenter, 2. get all extra saplings to go into the fermenter only when they are needed, 3. a engine with the same power as a stirling that can run 24/7 without blowing my shit up and preferably not having to be manually loaded with a fuel source or require any coolant(this can all be, the main thing is that it doesn't explode on me.) By the way, the saplings all go into a planter, but when the planters are full, which happens very quickly, they just spit out the saplings. So I'm turning it into biofuel, but I have no automated way to get the spill-over to get placed into a chest or something and only when needed travel to where it has to go.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a relatively simple way to 1. get mulch made from a squeezer into a fermenter, 2. get all extra saplings to go into the fermenter only when they are needed, 3. a engine with the same power as a stirling that can run 24/7 without blowing my shit up and preferably not having to be manually loaded with a fuel source or require any coolant(this can all be, the main thing is that it doesn't explode on me.) By the way, the saplings all go into a planter, but when the planters are full, which happens very quickly, they just spit out the saplings. So I'm turning it into biofuel, but I have no automated way to get the spill-over to get placed into a chest or something and only when needed travel to where it has to go.
Seconded: I wish my squeezer could just automatically send the juice and mulch to a fermenter beside it, like Thermal Expansion blocks can do :(

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
src/core/item/tool/ItemToolWrenchElectric.java
src/core/PlatformClient.java
src/core/item/armor/ItemArmorNightvisionGoggles.java

src/core/item/armor/ItemArmorJetpackElectric.java
Okay, weird format or whatever, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying it only effects Electric Jetpacks, Nightvision Goggles, and the Electric wrench?
I thought that too, but the changelog does say "most stuff". And we can't see the actual changes to those files.

ultradolp

Jul 29, 2019

So basically your Q1 and Q2 are the same: pulling item into the machine when needed and no overflow. The simplest way I can think of is having a buffer chest (preferably barrel or deep storage unit) between your squeezer and fermenter. The 2 buffer chests holds sapling and mulch respectively. Connect it directly to the fermenter with wooden transport pipe and a BC gate set as "resources <10% -> Energy pulse" (sapling) and "fuel <10% -> Energy pulse"(mulch). It will pull the needed item whenever they fall below 10% threshold in fermenter

Putting 2 redstone energy conduit between the engine and your machine, set the conduit at the engine end as extract mode (orange) and conduit at the machine end as insert mode (blue) with a wrench. Energy conduit will absorb any unused energy pumped into it hence it will never explode. For engine choice, forestry engine never explode if you hook them up correctly. You may want to look at peat engine (low output but incredibly long burn time), biogas engine (high output if you use biomass)

p.s. To prevent overflow, Make sure you allow the item to have an exit point at the machine, say a chest or another pipe out. Making a loop is the simplest way to do it at the cost of a few iron pipe. Downside of having an extra junction is that the item will only enter planter for half of the time. Best way to do is to have a buffer chest before the machine, a gate that pull item from buffer to machine only when the machine is empty. Buffer chest should be of single type of item and large storage capacity, which suggest barrel, deep storage unit and quantum chest

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a better way than this:

4QZABd8.png

To use ME to automate making diamonds for me.... specifically to use any and all coal in the network to turn into diamonds? Even more specifically to pull out of that bloody ME interface? And no I dont have the lasergatemakerthingymewasit just yet so I am using a redstone engine....

Basically, is there a way for me to say any coal gets turned into diamonds... if I can get rid of that middle ME interface and just build it in, that would fit my OCD.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019

Umm you could use diamond pipes. I am guessing you are using apples in your squeezer, so feed into the squeezer with a diamond pipe on any side with an apples in the colour for squeezer, all excess will go down an empty colour. Do the same for the fermenter (do saplings and mulch) and then run the pipe off to a box to collect the excess.

Then just have a wooden pipe with a pulse from the squeezer into the network somehow, preferably with an iron pipe making sure it goes the right way.

Umm let me see what my ascii is like:

====D.I===D====S
........SqW.....Fr

= normal pipe
D diamond pipe
S storage box
Sq squeezer
Fr fermenter
W wooden pipe
I iron pipe
..... are cause my ascii sux and should be ignored

Man squeezer is a weird word to spell....

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What about enchanting wands and anvil enchanting wands no problems but if i try to add a charging book to my wand its say cost 9 levels but the book doesn't get added how about that ?
It probably has an incompatible enchant on it. The anvil will let you waste a book like that. Check the tooltip on the modified item before you pick it up, make sure the enchant is actually showing.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
@Waffle Of War: As people have said, diamond pipes are good. They attempt to send the designated item down the designated path, but if the inventory is full they'll send it down a blank path. You could also consider Redpower tubes. They always fill the closest inventory first and never overflow, but they can be a bit fiddly in how they connect to some of the forestry machines with multiple input slots. Whether you go for BC pipes or RP tubes, though, you should really get an overflow chest. That tends to solve a lot of the overflow problems.

As for engines, stirling engines (frankly, any engine other than combustion) won't explode unless you're doing something very stupid. If you absolutely must avoid even the faintest possibility of explosion I recommend a Thermal Expansion Steam Engine. Instead of exploding it will overheat and freeze up until you hit it with a wrench. It requires water, but it gives you twice as much power as a stirling engine. You should also consider a Railcraft Hobbyist steam engine - they give you the most energy per coal out of the basic engines (though it only outputs at 1.6MJ/t) and will only explode if you let it run dry and then try to add water while its still hot. Like the thermal expansion engines if you just let it keep running without somewhere to dump the energy it will simply freeze up, you have to go out of your way to make it explode.

To get mulch from a squeezer to a fermenter, use a wooden pipe with a redstone engine. It's the same process as getting the apple juice out, except the juice uses a waterproof wooden pipe. Forestry machines are actually quite intelligent about taking inputs from BC pipes, so you can route the mulch to any side of the fermenter and it will end up in the correct slot.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
@Waffle Of War: As people have said, diamond pipes are good. They attempt to send the designated item down the designated path, but if the inventory is full they'll send it down a blank path. You could also consider Redpower tubes. They always fill the closest inventory first and never overflow, but they can be a bit fiddly in how they connect to some of the forestry machines with multiple input slots. Whether you go for BC pipes or RP tubes, though, you should really get an overflow chest. That tends to solve a lot of the overflow problems.

As for engines, stirling engines (frankly, any engine other than combustion) won't explode unless you're doing something very stupid. If you absolutely must avoid even the faintest possibility of explosion I recommend a Thermal Expansion Steam Engine. Instead of exploding it will overheat and freeze up until you hit it with a wrench. It requires water, but it gives you twice as much power as a stirling engine. You should also consider a Railcraft Hobbyist steam engine - they give you the most energy per coal out of the basic engines (though it only outputs at 1.6MJ/t) and will only explode if you let it run dry and then try to add water while its still hot. Like the thermal expansion engines if you just let it keep running without somewhere to dump the energy it will simply freeze up, you have to go out of your way to make it explode.

To get mulch from a squeezer to a fermenter, use a wooden pipe with a redstone engine. It's the same process as getting the apple juice out, except the juice uses a waterproof wooden pipe. Forestry machines are actually quite intelligent about taking inputs from BC pipes, so you can route the mulch to any side of the fermenter and it will end up in the correct slot.
The problem with the wooden pipe is that the mulch is already full and it's just dumping items on the ground... I have to set up systems to take the resource required when neede, which I haven't done yet. and since almost the whole operation is run on redstone and stirling engines, it's a lot of charcoal.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the wooden pipe is that the mulch is already full and it's just dumping items on the ground... I have to set up systems to take the resource required when neede, which I haven't done yet. and since almost the whole operation is run on redstone and stirling engines, it's a lot of charcoal.

Handling overflow is job #1 with any automated system. With BC pipes you can either use diamond pipes that ultimately lead to an overflow chest, loops of pipes (not really recommended, too many items in the pipes causes FPS lag), or a supply on demand system using gates. From the sounds of things I wouldn't expect you to have an assembly table to make gates with, so your best bet is to work on building in a system to catch overflow. Of course, you could always just manually turn the redstone engine supplying the mulch on and off until you have gates to handle it for you. A stack of mulch lasts a very long time in a fermenter.

Once you get your fermenter squared away you can use the biomass it creates to power a few biogas engines which put out 5x as much power as a stirling engine. You'll be swimming in logs before you know it.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
You could use clay golems instead of pipes. Clay golems will only fetch the saplings/mulch when there is room for them to put in more. I use this method myself for my biofuel. Just put the golem on the correct side of the block (same as where you would connect a tube), put a marker next to the squeezer and your done. (Once you have put the golem on the inventory, you can cover up the side it needs access to. So long as it can get ajacent to the machine from /any/ side, it can take/insert items from the side of a marker or the golem was placed).

Before you get gates, or are willing to use a lot of diamond pipes, golems are increadably smart, auto-shut-off systems.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Handling overflow is job #1 with any automated system. With BC pipes you can either use diamond pipes that ultimately lead to an overflow chest, loops of pipes (not really recommended, too many items in the pipes causes FPS lag), or a supply on demand system using gates. From the sounds of things I wouldn't expect you to have an assembly table to make gates with, so your best bet is to work on building in a system to catch overflow. Of course, you could always just manually turn the redstone engine supplying the mulch on and off until you have gates to handle it for you. A stack of mulch lasts a very long time in a fermenter.

Once you get your fermenter squared away you can use the biomass it creates to power a few biogas engines which put out 5x as much power as a stirling engine. You'll be swimming in logs before you know it.
You could use clay golems instead of pipes. Clay golems will only fetch the saplings/mulch when there is room for them to put in more. I use this method myself for my biofuel. Just put the golem on the correct side of the block (same as where you would connect a tube), put a marker next to the squeezer and your done. (Once you have put the golem on the inventory, you can cover up the side it needs access to. So long as it can get ajacent to the machine from /any/ side, it can take/insert items from the side of a marker or the golem was placed).

Before you get gates, or are willing to use a lot of diamond pipes, golems are increadably smart, auto-shut-off systems.
I ended up using transposers to fill up the mulch and the charcoal for my main furnaces when needed. Anyways, that aside, one of my biggest fears is an engine blowing up, and me losing all of my hard work. I have a steam engine powering some things but it keeps seizing up and it's just kind of annoying. I wanted to make absolutely sure that I can connect a stirling engine to it and it wont blow up. The squeezer, (what it's attached to) barely gets used, so it has a lot of idle time. Also, I wanted to see if this engine; would explode. It's powering a pulverizer, and every time a tree gets cut down, the load gets split and half goes here, so that's pretty often it's actually being used. Is it all safe? Can I go adventuring without coming back to a blast crater?

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I wanted to see if this engine; would explode. It's powering a pulverizer, and every time a tree gets cut down, the load gets split and half goes here, so that's pretty often it's actually being used. Is it all safe? Can I go adventuring without coming back to a blast crater?

It's kinda hard to tell, but it looks like you're powering a machine with a redstone engine. This won't do anything (it will TECHNICALLY but it is so slow that it's utterly negligible). As for your Stirling engine, the TE machine uses more than 1 eu/t, so (hopefully) between loads the engine will power the internal buffer which will all be used during the load.
Side-note; if you use redstone energy conduits or cells, there will be no explosions because TE is awesome.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Never thought about it like that. Nice idea.
Oh you flatter me. If you even are talking to ne. That's be awkward. ;p I'll always see my FTB creations as the most simple, clunky thing possible.

Every time I click on a timer next to a transposer, FTB crashes... wut?[DOUBLEPOST=1364307807][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's kinda hard to tell, but it looks like you're powering a machine with a redstone engine. This won't do anything (it will TECHNICALLY but it is so slow that it's utterly negligible). As for your Stirling engine, the TE machine uses more than 1 eu/t, so (hopefully) between loads the engine will power the internal buffer which will all be used during the load.
Side-note; if you use redstone energy conduits or cells, there will be no explosions because TE is awesome.
I have about 4 redstone engines powering at least one machine in that image. I use them because they are cheap and don't explode, 100% of the time no questions asked. So if the stirling engine is cleared for safety... all is good? And another reason, I don't want it the machine to get so much power that my stirling engine blows up. What's a energy conduit and stuff?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it was about the Golems auto shut-off functionality, but using transposers ain't a bad idea as well. It's just that the Golems can do some of the functions of both pipes & blocks without the clutter and infrastructure, but i've never thought about using them as some kind of auto shut-off system because of their behavior. It's a very perceptive observation, they're really more useful than they look.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it was about the Golems auto shut-off functionality, but using transposers ain't a bad idea as well. It's just that the Golems can do some of the functions of both pipes & blocks without the clutter and infrastructure, but i've never thought about using them as some kind of auto shut-off system because of their behavior. It's a very perceptive observation, they're really more useful than they look.
But you (the palayer) would also have to spent the time to research all that stuff that leads up to the golems, right?