Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
On the strongest sword, I'd presume Bane can get looting too. Adding a bit more.

Personally I tend to go for the Zepher Sword. Hitting multiple mobs at once at diamondish damage (might be slighty higher) plus a full set of enchants makes it more useful for every situation that is not pvp.
(The blow back effect at point blank can quickly kill someone with falling damage early on btw :))

For bosses the hunters handgiun and holy hand probably come out on top, killing the either in ~6 shots.

On Emeralds, if you actualy want /symbols/ the best thing to do is write as stable age as you can (or gen one that you can at least not die quickly in) and hunt for the mystcrafft library structures.

Else The Twilight Forest Huge Holow hills have serveral among the stalgmites

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
On Emeralds, if you actualy want /symbols/ the best thing to do is write as stable age as you can (or gen one that you can at least not die quickly in) and hunt for the mystcrafft library structures.

Else The Twilight Forest Huge Holow hills have serveral among the stalgmites

Yep, symbols for more stable and cooler ages is what I'm ultimately after with my emerald hunt. I know about the libraries and have found a couple or so, but my luck when it comes to instability of ages seems to be rotten. Of 6 ages I've wrote so far only one doesn't have nausea and one also quickly turned int strange withe substance replacing everything in the world. I can take other potion effects of instability rather well (wearing full suit of Modular Power Armor with jetpack and flight control) but nausea effect almost make me physically nauseous and also makes it extremely hard to spot something like a library in a age. And I haven't have luck to get some of the more important symbols for writing a stable age.

I'm also somewhat reluctant to create to many exploit-them-and-forget-them ages since I'm worried about the size of my world because of it. I'm running on my own private server powered by MineOS linux so guess I could delete folders for ages I never plan to visit again, but I'm not sure how mystcraft and other mods would react to that... Can you safely delete ages you're no longer interested in?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, when you delete an age, it's gone for good. Just be sure you don't have Ender Chests/Tanks or Tesseracts or any type of block that links across dimensions, else it could corrupt your world. If there's nothing there linking to other dimensions, including chunk loading blocks, you can safely delete unused ages. It's common practice on servers, many have mining worlds which are periodically deleted and recreated so players don't leave big gaping holes on the overworld.

Any Extreme biomes, i think, have emeralds in them. Gregtech adds Emeralds to other biomes too, i think. You can use a Tome of Alkahest to multiply Emeralds, by using Lapis Lazuli Blocks as a reagent. 1 Lapis Lazuli block + Tome of Alkahest + Emerald on a shapeless crafting recipe, gives you 2 emeralds and your tome of Alkahest back. If you have a surplus of Lapis and want more emeralds, that's one way to go about it. And most likely than not, you have more Lapis than you can shake a stick at, since not many recipes use Lapis, and when they do, it's not a lot. 1 Emerald per 9 Lapis is not so bad.

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
You can use a Tome of Alkahest to multiply Emeralds, by using Lapis Lazuli Blocks as a reagent. 1 Lapis Lazuli block + Tome of Alkahest + Emerald on a shapeless crafting recipe, gives you 2 emeralds and your tome of Alkahest back. If you have a surplus of Lapis and want more emeralds, that's one way to go about it. And most likely than not, you have more Lapis than you can shake a stick at, since not many recipes use Lapis, and when they do, it's not a lot. 1 Emerald per 9 Lapis is not so bad.

Now thats some REALLY good news for me. :) Since I've recently build a giant quarry over large Hollow Hill in Twilight Forest (mostly in search for all emeralds in there) I've really had far too much Lapis Lazulli. Started to store them in blocks just to save some space and i currently have a large number of full stacks of those blocks. Finally some good use for the stuff. Time to get started with some Alkahestry! ;)

Thanks again for the tip!

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, when you delete an age, it's gone for good. Just be sure you don't have Ender Chests/Tanks or Tesseracts or any type of block that links across dimensions, else it could corrupt your world. If there's nothing there linking to other dimensions, including chunk loading blocks, you can safely delete unused ages. It's common practice on servers, many have mining worlds which are periodically deleted and recreated so players don't leave big gaping holes on the overworld.

Any Extreme biomes, i think, have emeralds in them. Gregtech adds Emeralds to other biomes too, i think. You can use a Tome of Alkahest to multiply Emeralds, by using Lapis Lazuli Blocks as a reagent. 1 Lapis Lazuli block + Tome of Alkahest + Emerald on a shapeless crafting recipe, gives you 2 emeralds and your tome of Alkahest back. If you have a surplus of Lapis and want more emeralds, that's one way to go about it. And most likely than not, you have more Lapis than you can shake a stick at, since not many recipes use Lapis, and when they do, it's not a lot. 1 Emerald per 9 Lapis is not so bad.

To add further to that point, the Huge hollow hills have ridiculous amounts of lapis in them.

Also, I thought it was 'hills' not 'extreme' which gives emerals in x-biomes, but I could be wrong.

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, when you delete an age, it's gone for good. Just be sure you don't have Ender Chests/Tanks or Tesseracts or any type of block that links across dimensions, else it could corrupt your world. If there's nothing there linking to other dimensions, including chunk loading blocks, you can safely delete unused ages.

Just to be clear, what exactly counts as link across dimensions in that case? I understand ender chests and tesseracts and such, but what about linking books? I might have lost a linking book to the overworld in that one age that became almost completely made of strange white blocks within minutes. Is it safe to delete it's folder anyway or could that corrupt my save/world? What about mystcraft portals? Haven't made any yet but I'm certainly planning to, once i get an age with crystals. Do you also have to delete all descriptive books for the age before deleting it's folder? Or will such book just recreate the age like it was first time when used after age folder deletion?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Books don't count... In fact, if you still have a linking book to that age in the overworld, if you delete the folder and try to go back to the age, it will just re-generate with the same symbols & a different seed. Portals are just books with particle effects, essentially, so they don't count as well. You could look up outstanding bugs in the Mystraft page.

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
Books don't count... In fact, if you still have a linking book to that age in the overworld, if you delete the folder and try to go back to the age, it will just re-generate with the same symbols & a different seed. Portals are just books with particle effects, essentially, so they don't count as well. You could look up outstanding bugs in the Mystraft page.

Just one more probably stupid question: When deleting ages by deleting their folders, do I have to stop the server first or is it enough that I'm not in the age? Probably have to stop it, don't I? :)

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
And another question while I'm at it. :) After multiplying my emerald the Alkahest way and doing some trading with mystcraft villagers one of them now sells something called "Page Unknown" which looks like a regular page but with large black question mark on it (when using modified Sphax texturepack like I do anyway) instead of usual symbols. I also found a page like this in a mystcraft library once. Haven't used it in an age since i have no idea what it does.

Does anybody know what page that is and what it does when added to a book?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Should get a Nano Saber, or The Sword of Zepghggkhsgfdh you know what I mean. ;P Not using it for pvp, just to clear out some Hollow Hills and defending my honor.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know for sure what the Unknown page does, but i do have a theory about what it might do. I think it is meant to be a "filler" page, for when you want to create an age without instability, but you don't have all the symbols that are needed in order to do it. You add the Unknown page in place of something you don't have, like stars, sun, moon, etc, and it randomly applies one of the possible pages there. At least that's what i THINK it does, but i don't know for sure. What i do know is that i've added this symbol this way and my worlds tended to not have instability problems anymore.

AS for the age deletion thing... I've never actually managed a server, so i don't know how it works for servers. Sorry. I believe that as long as the age isn't loaded in any way, it shouldn't cause any problems. So, no players, no chunk-loaders, etc...

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is technically outside the scope of this thread, but I had a simple question regarding these forums. Does anyone know where Guswut's been lately?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is technically outside the scope of this thread, but I had a simple question regarding these forums. Does anyone know where Guswut's been lately?
<.<
>.>

He may or may not have had a run in with some of the local 'union' boys about some unpaid debts.[DOUBLEPOST=1364158127][/DOUBLEPOST]
Should get a Nano Saber, or The Sword of Zepghggkhsgfdh you know what I mean. ;P Not using it for pvp, just to clear out some Hollow Hills and defending my honor.

Both are nice. The Zepher sword can be enchanted making it have some nice bounses and it does have the wind push back which is nice when you get a culter of mobds.

But the Nano Saber powered up does really good damage.

So either would be find. I like zepher more personaly becuase of the enchants like repair can go on it.

Arken77

Jul 29, 2019
And another question while I'm at it. :) After multiplying my emerald the Alkahest way and doing some trading with mystcraft villagers one of them now sells something called "Page Unknown" which looks like a regular page but with large black question mark on it (when using modified Sphax texturepack like I do anyway) instead of usual symbols. I also found a page like this in a mystcraft library once. Haven't used it in an age since i have no idea what it does.

Does anybody know what page that is and what it does when added to a book?

I've just updated Mystcraft to the latest (from 0.10.0 in Direwolf20's pack to 0.10.1 you can find on the mods thread) and now the description of those cryptic pages have changed. They say things like Unknown: Lots of Mushrooms, Unknows: Dense Twilight Forest. Strangly enough those descriptions don't show in writing desk, but only when hovering mouse over the page in inventory. So i guess those are just biome symbols, but from twilight forest, which mystcraft doesn't know how to render yet? When I was first generating random ages I once got to a large caveworld and when I've tunneled out of it there was a twilight forest like biome on top of it, with all the giant trees and even appropriate mobs.

So, to enybody else wondering about unknown pages, update mystcraft and they should show better, although not perfect yet. :)

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a pipe, that when powered, changes output direction? I want to switch between my wood making charcoal, and being pulverized.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a pipe, that when powered, changes output direction? I want to switch between my wood making charcoal, and being pulverized.

Nope, but you might want to look into the Iron Pipe's ability to change direction when hit with a Redstone signal. Or just have a buffer chest with one Wooden Pipe that's active when you want to turn your Wood into Charcoal, and another that's active when you want to Pulverize (I assume you mean Sawmill?) it.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Before i put my fusion reactor down...what do i need to know about being electrocuted?

I think all you need to know is insulate Copper wiring, double insulate Gold wiring, and quadruple insulate HV Wiring. There's some possibility Superconductor's 1000000 EU packets cause instant death if you're sitting on a Superconductor, but I don't believe this happens. Though, admittedly, that would've been some really weird random dying.

I dunno. Do 1000000 EU packets electrocute people through Superconductors?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, but you might want to look into the Iron Pipe's ability to change direction when hit with a Redstone signal. Or just have a buffer chest with one Wooden Pipe that's active when you want to turn your Wood into Charcoal, and another that's active when you want to Pulverize (I assume you mean Sawmill?) it.
No, pulverize. When you pulverize wood you get wood chips or fragments and you can turn that into paper, and since my reed farm is non existent, it's all I have to get a mass of paper.