Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
What's people's thoughts on botania in general? If I'm about to dive in to do this timeless thing, may as well see what else it can do. Any thoughts?
Botania is both fun and useful. If your planning to do Blood Magic, for example, there is a flower that gives regen that makes life easier.

There is a short* mod spotlight series by Direwolf20 ( *8x30 minute episodes) that gives a good showcase of the things you can do.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
This is not a simple question unless as I suspect the answer is 'can't be done' but .....

Has anyone found a way to automatically put queen bees into the Pam's Harvest apiary?

I have tried EnderIO item ducts, ExtraUtils2 transfer, blood magic routers, RFTools Control and even Phantom faces (from Actually additions I think)

Of course the simple test of placing a hopper on them would suggest it can't be done but if anyone has a way to trick them or maybe there is a way to open the inventory and then insert the bee using 2 mechanical users or whatever.

At present my RS system crafts the new queens and sends them to a chest right beside the apiary's and a detector turns on a light so I know I need to manually insert it. So close to full automation but ....not

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore wither causes the wither to become progressively more difficult. It learns from how you kill it

I'm aware, but does that include it insta-killing you - from full health to 0 - on your second ever kill? (This is SSP so it is not like someone else's kills are interfering with my summoning. I haven't set up any kind of automated killing yet either.)

Going from "this is a normal wither fight" on your first kill to "ha, now and every future kill of the wither unequivocably ‎kills you" with your second isn't exactly a 'progression' in difficulty.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Actually additions has an item mender if you have a lot of RF

I originally wondered why anyone would use this, given how expensive it is - until I started to look at both the resource and experience costs of repairing highly enchanted armour! If you don't have any mods that provide indestructible energy-powered armour, this has got to be a must-have for keeping your armour in good nick.

X

XicoFelipe

In Ars Magica 2 every time I use a Bound Pickaxe it uses the spell I assigned to it (self light, in this case). Is there any way to disable this behavior? I want it to use the spell only when I right click.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Many of the early game baubles are nice (Sojourner's Sash in particular for me, but a friend swears by the magnet ring). You can automate a ton of things using just Botania and Vanilla, although some of those tasks are a bit convoluted (made easier by using other mods instead). Overall, I find it to be an enjoyable mod with interesting/unique engineering challenges and some nifty toys and features to reward progression. If you enjoy combat, you're in luck, as a few bosses can prove challenging to the unprepared player.

The Timeless Ivy (thank you for reminding me of the name) you seek isn't exactly early in the progression, but I'm not certain if it requires fighting Gaia or not.

That's a good answer! I do enjoy the combat, so that's actually pretty awesome. The mod makes it look like you pick flowers and do magic with them, so it's hard to get a real grip on what it is that's going on.

I couldn't find anything on the timeless ivy, BTW. Just enough to know it exists. Every wiki I can find on it has a blank page for it. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

Automation is what it's all about. But I am far more interested in more practical automation as opposed to building an object that is meant to do it, so I'm not sure about that aspect or not. Does that sentence make sense, lol? For example, I'd prefer to use a block that emulates a click/right click along with redstone timing to auto-farm over building something like the ender IO auto-farm. But, as long as it's done in a fun way, I'll check it out.

Botania is both fun and useful. If your planning to do Blood Magic, for example, there is a flower that gives regen that makes life easier.

There is a short* mod spotlight series by Direwolf20 ( *8x30 minute episodes) that gives a good showcase of the things you can do.

Just one tiny little 4-hour mini series is all! lol

I will see if I can find it and check that out, thanks!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, so I was thinking about addinf draconic expansion but the description says it generates the ore most commonly in the End.

I've already killed the ender dragon and been all around the end. I have to guess there's no way to reset that. It's been generated, so that's it forever, right?

Is end stone a limited resource? And is this mod viable without the End involved? It did say you can get some of the materials elswhere as well, but will I feel starved?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
OK, so I was thinking about addinf draconic expansion but the description says it generates the ore most commonly in the End.

I've already killed the ender dragon and been all around the end. I have to guess there's no way to reset that. It's been generated, so that's it forever, right?

Is end stone a limited resource? And is this mod viable without the End involved? It did say you can get some of the materials elswhere as well, but will I feel starved?
There's infinite draconic ore in the End. The trick is to fly around until you find giant meteors (of varying size) which are comprised of something like 30% ore (the rest being endstone and obsidian)

edit: btw, I'm assuming you mean "Draconic Evolution"

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I have to guess there's no way to reset that. It's been generated, so that's it forever, right?
Both Hardcore Ender Expansion and ChromatiCraft include ways of resetting the end ingame, in addition you can always just delete the DIM1 folder from your save to delete the End and cause it to regenerate.

The ore also occurs rarely in both the nether and the overworld however, and occasional rare blobs of draconium ore spawn in the end anywhere, far, far into the void.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the responses. I passed on that ender expansion mod because I thought it was too late, too. I'll have to look into it.
You'll find things a little harder without dungeon loot from the overworld, as it has a system where you loot knowledge fragments and they give you knowledge points in order to unlock info in the ingame guide. That's purely info though, I don't think it's actually required for anything.

You'll definitely need to regenerate the end however, but it does provide a way to do that. You'd need two items, a dragon egg from vanilla minecraft, and a temple caller from hardcore ender expansion. The latter will be the trickier one, as you can craft it using a drop from the ender dragon or you can find it via dungeon loot, if you didn't get it via the dragon though and any dungeons in the end you'll have to fly further out than you ever have dungeon loot might be easiest.

For that I'd recommend looking into the loonium from botania, it can generate all standard dungeon loot, but not variations such as stronghold loot or jungle temple loot. Most are available in dungeon loot as well, and I think the temple caller is too. The loonium when provided mana will generate dungeon loot, it costs a lot of mana though.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I should actually be covered on overworld. We get around via hang gliders and as much of the map as we have opened up already, there's still a tooooon of unexplored space to open.

I also added the recurrent complex mod. This generates a bunch of temple-like structures to be found, including dungeon chests in many of them. I was more concerned about the End because I had basically "explored" the whole thing. I didn't know it was that tiny.

That reminds me, not that I need them , but et futura should have made the elytra available but I didn't see that anywhere...

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
MOAR questions:

Skyblocks. From openblocks.

I had some really cool plans for these, but when I finally got myself some end blocks to make them, I am officially disappointed. But, I'm not sure if I can fix this.

These blocks are supposed to show the sky instead of the block itself when activated by redstone, but it's only showing the gray backdrop, not the actual sky that you see when outdoors. I'm sure this is because I'm using shaders that re-do the sky, and there's just some kind of setting that's making it show nothing interesting. Anyone know of a fix?

I really want this to hide aerial mechanisms. This is not my cool ideas, because I try not to talk about things before I build them, but as an example I just thought of:

Let's say I wanted to build a machine that poured lava through a single block hole in the sky at night, it's a very simple redstone machine connected to a daylight sensor. But, theoretically, if I were to put it way up in the sky and surround it by inverted sky blocks, from the ground it would look invisible (or near invisible) and lava would just look like it's being poured out of the sky from no where.

I have too many things I need this effect for, but it's all for naught if the blocks only show a different "sky" from the real sky.

(this may not be a simple question)

Last edited:

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
MOAR questions:

Skyblocks. From openblocks.

I had some really cool plans for these, but when I finally got myself some end blocks to make them, I am officially disappointed. But, I'm not sure if I can fix this.

These blocks are supposed to show the sky instead of the block itself when activated by redstone, but it's only showing the gray backdrop, not the actual sky that you see when outdoors. I'm sure this is because I'm using shaders that re-do the sky, and there's just some kind of setting that's making it show nothing interesting. Anyone know of a fix?

I really want this to hide aerial mechanisms. This is not my cool ideas, because I try not to talk about things before I build them, but as an example I just thought of:

Let's say I wanted to build a machine that poured lava through a single block hole in the sky at night, it's a very simple redstone machine connected to a daylight sensor. But, theoretically, if I were to put it way up in the sky and surround it by inverted sky blocks, from the ground it would look invisible (or near invisible) and lava would just look like it's being poured out of the sky from no where.

I have too many things I need this effect for, but it's all for naught if the blocks only show a different "sky" from the real sky.

(this may not be a simple question)

If I'm not mistaken, there is an inverted version which requires a redstone torch in place of the dust.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
This is going to sound odd, but does anyone know of a resource pack (that I could install on vanilla) that makes flowing water louder? Like, if water is flowing down a mountain, it sounds more like a waterfall than a trickling faucet?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If I'm not mistaken, there is an inverted version which requires a redstone torch in place of the dust.

No, I don't mean that. They "work" as intended. But the sky they are rendering in sky mode isn't the real sky, it's like the background for the sky. You are correct, though.

Though, now that I think about it, I did put them indoors to test it, and maybe because the game thinks I'm indoors, it just doesn't render the sky at all. I didn't think of that until just now. I'll have to check them outside...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This is going to sound odd, but does anyone know of a resource pack (that I could install on vanilla) that makes flowing water louder? Like, if water is flowing down a mountain, it sounds more like a waterfall than a trickling faucet?

I don't have what you're looking for, but I wuld think that would be difficult with a resource pack because it would sound like that any time you're near running water, even if it's a little trickle. I would think you'd be better off finding a mod that makes a block that plays sound files or something. Which I feel like should totally exist, but I've never seen it.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I don't have what you're looking for, but I wuld think that would be difficult with a resource pack because it would sound like that any time you're near running water, even if it's a little trickle.

I understand this. And I'm okay with that, since it would only be affecting me.