Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

singapore123

Jul 29, 2019
How to store very large amounts of cobblestone, dirt and gravel (Jabba barrels just dont cut it anymore)

You can compress those blocks in the 3x3 crafting grid if you have Extra Utilities. They can be compressed more than once, for example, a 3x3 crafting grid filled with compressed cobblestone will create doubly compressed cobblestone, and so on. You can store insanely huge amounts of cobblestone, dirt and gravel this way.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How to store very large amounts of cobblestone, dirt and gravel (Jabba barrels just dont cut it anymore)
You can compress those blocks in the 3x3 crafting grid if you have Extra Utilities. They can be compressed more than once, for example, a 3x3 crafting grid filled with compressed cobblestone will create doubly compressed cobblestone, and so on. You can store insanely huge amounts of cobblestone, dirt and gravel this way.
I would recommend using Compacting Drawers from Storage Drawers. Each will compact twice when items simply enter them. And you can easily chain them with itemconduits/ducts/hoppers/whatever to compress more.
It is also great since you will always have access to raw cobble without crafting, even if it is compressed twice. And the Drawer Controller makes it super easy to integrate into other sorting systems like LP, AE etc.

Reactions: Greystoke

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Storage drawers work well and depending on the mod pack mfr dsu. Bear in mind mfr isn't in 1.10.2 yet

Extra Utilities has Cobblestone compression up to 8 levels. Works pretty well for dirt as well (one quad-compressed dirt = 6,561 individual dirt), and compressed gravel is actually useful as structural material.

I would recommend using Compacting Drawers from Storage Drawers. Each will compact twice when items simply enter them. And you can easily chain them with itemconduits/ducts/hoppers/whatever to compress more.
It is also great since you will always have access to raw cobble without crafting, even if it is compressed twice. And the Drawer Controller makes it super easy to integrate into other sorting systems like LP, AE etc.

A max capacity JABBA Barrel can hold 8,128 stacks (520,192 blocks) of cobblestone. If you were to fill that barrel with compressed cobblestone, you could fit 4,681,728 blocks inside, and double compressed allows 42,135,552 blocks. Opting for Storage Drawers Compacting Drawer with five Emerald Upgrades allows for 5,391,360 blocks stored in a single space with access to all three levels (regular, compressed, double compressed) without stopping for crafting. Above that, the MFR Deep Storage Unit (as was mentioned above) holds near 2 billion of a single item type.

If you have the need to store more than that, I'm going to need a damn good reason. It's cobblestone. You can make it, easily, with Vanilla mechanics, to infinite end. There is no reason (other than pure hoarder goodness) to keep over a million of ANYTHING.

I would concentrate efforts to either use it (thus negating storage need) or simply stop collecting it (again negating storage need). Try filtering your Quarry into a trash can. Turn off any machines that make it for you (Igneous Extruder for example) when you have over a reasonable threshold. Save those precious computing resources for something better than storing the most abundant resource in the game.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A max capacity JABBA Barrel can hold 8,128 stacks (520,192 blocks) of cobblestone. If you were to fill that barrel with compressed cobblestone, you could fit 4,681,728 blocks inside, and double compressed allows 42,135,552 blocks. Opting for Storage Drawers Compacting Drawer with five Emerald Upgrades allows for 5,391,360 blocks stored in a single space with access to all three levels (regular, compressed, double compressed) without stopping for crafting. Above that, the MFR Deep Storage Unit (as was mentioned above) holds near 2 billion of a single item type.

If you have the need to store more than that, I'm going to need a damn good reason. It's cobblestone. You can make it, easily, with Vanilla mechanics, to infinite end. There is no reason (other than pure hoarder goodness) to keep over a million of ANYTHING.

I would concentrate efforts to either use it (thus negating storage need) or simply stop collecting it (again negating storage need). Try filtering your Quarry into a trash can. Turn off any machines that make it for you (Igneous Extruder for example) when you have over a reasonable threshold. Save those precious computing resources for something better than storing the most abundant resource in the game.
Unless specifically needing compressed cobble, most people would be fine with just 5-10k stored. I personally store about 2-10k of seldom used stuff, and 20-50k of blocks I (might) use for building. Rest get voided/recycles/condensed, or source of it is turned off.

Having a single compacting drawer with a few upgrades is MORE than enough. Stick a void upgrade on it to newer worry about storing cobble again.

If you silk touch and therefore don't get cobble, just stick a regular Drawer on an Igneous extruder(or similar) and let it fill it. Drawer can be part of your drawer network, and you always have access to cobble.

Last edited:

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4.2 (so minecraft 1.7.10).

What is the range of mana bean crossbreeding? ie how far away do I need to keep my beans so they dont start mixing with eachother? Google gives me very conflicting answers, from 4 blocks to 11 blocks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

What is the range of mana bean crossbreeding? ie how far away do I need to keep my beans so they dont start mixing with eachother? Google gives me very conflicting answers, from 4 blocks to 11 blocks.
They only crossbreed if they are right next to each other. so you can easily have rows of them with a gap of one block between them.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

They only crossbreed if they are right next to each other. so you can easily have rows of them with a gap of one block between them.

I had issues with random crossbreeding at one point (back in Resurrection, so it may have been addressed) when being harvested by Golems. Doing it by hand I had no problem, but when I set the Golems at it, I got very random crossbreeds which entirely screwed up my farm and had to be reset by hand.

Other than that, it should be only adjacent beans that affect each other.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I had issues with random crossbreeding at one point (back in Resurrection, so it may have been addressed) when being harvested by Golems. Doing it by hand I had no problem, but when I set the Golems at it, I got very random crossbreeds which entirely screwed up my farm and had to be reset by hand.

Other than that, it should be only adjacent beans that affect each other.
Golems have/had a thing with replanting. I noticed that they seem to harvest and then afterwards pick the seeds/beans to replant. If you rely on golems to gather, then perhaps the harvest golem could pick up beans from another row before they are gathered.
I have so far not had any issues when using Item Collectors from Random Things.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Golems have/had a thing with replanting. I noticed that they seem to harvest and then afterwards pick the seeds/beans to replant. If you rely on golems to gather, then perhaps the harvest golem could pick up beans from another row before they are gathered.
I have so far not had any issues when using Item Collectors from Random Things.

I had a 9x9 of certain beans growing with each bean on a different Y-level of the stacked farm to reduce cross contamination. The beans would occasionally alter type when the Golem planted it. But as I said, that was the early stages of 1.7, and Azanor is usually pretty good about fixing reported issues. I haven't had a bean farm since then to test it.

I

icedwarr

Thanks for replies, I went ahead and upgraded Jabba Barrels and making Deep Storage Units for cobble dirt gravel and other blocks that you get from quarries.

H

HerrBockwurst

Hey, i downloaded the newest version of FTB infinity lite (1.10). how can i obtain aluminum? its not being generated, isnt it?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
1.10 Custom Pack - Mekanism Digital Miner

We use FTBUtils chunkloading primarily on our server, but it seems the Digital Miner won't mine chunks claimed using FTBUtils. I'm assuming this is because the Digital Miner doesn't have permissions in claimed chunks. Is there a way to make this work, or do all mining operations need to be unclaimed and loaded via other means (XU2, Mek Anchor Upgrade, etc.)?

H

HerrBockwurst

ah ok its realy genaratet, ty. but i have another problem: the ic2 machines are buggy. if u playe them, other players dont see them and cant interact. and also if i relog the machine is invisible.