Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Do I have to update the whole mod pack, or how does that work? I also have an update for Applied En. and I dunno how to update things.

I don't know what pack has what but the current Mindcrack and Ultimate both are using a fairly new version of XYcraft. I'm using some of the new blocks in my Mothership thread build. I belive its 10.18 but could be wrong.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what pack has what but the current Mindcrack and Ultimate both are using a fairly new version of XYcraft. I'm using some of the new blocks in my Mothership thread build. I belive its 10.18 but could be wrong.
I've got ultimate. About the updating, does it update automatically?

Mercadi

Jul 29, 2019
Got a question about the terraformer device. If I place it above (or in) the ocean, would it freeze only the top layer of the water, or the entire depth?
Thank you!

Edit: I mean if its chilling setting is activated.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Is it not possible to put RC tanks next to each other? I was pretty sure I'd seen in a YT video someone with a room full of them all touching each other, with different liquids in each ??? It doesn't seem to matter what I try, as soon as I place a tank block next to my existing tank it shows the tank as incomplete. Is there some trick I'm missing or do you have to leave a block space between them?

I should add that these tanks are for different liquid tanks.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It's rumored not confirmed

It actually is confirmed. Sengir himself said he will discontinue the old farms. The biggest reason he made the new farms in the first place is because the code for the old ones is so impossibly outdated, convoluted and bugged that it's becoming impossible to keep maintaining it (it was pretty much the first code he ever wrote for Forestry).

There's a chance that the old farms will become disabled in the update to 1.5 already... it all depends on whether or not Sengir loses patience with porting the old code or not.

That said, I still don't get why people don't simply give the new farms a try. I bet everyone who claims to dislike them has never actually built and used one in a legit world. They have more than half a dozen clear advantages over the old ones, including more farmland, better energy handling, ease of automation, quintupling apple output and so on. And I did some math: every stack of apatite will fill around an extradimensional barrel with wood, if you use the ash recipe, or half as much if you use the sand recipe. And considering that a single apatite vein will give you somewhere between 3 and 8 stacks of apatite even without using fortune or silk touch...

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Is it not possible to put RC tanks next to each other? I was pretty sure I'd seen in a YT video someone with a room full of them all touching each other, with different liquids in each ??? It doesn't seem to matter what I try, as soon as I place a tank block next to my existing tank it shows the tank as incomplete. Is there some trick I'm missing or do you have to leave a block space between them?

You'll need to leave one space between the tanks.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Railcraft multiblocks cannot touch each other; it's the same with coke ovens and so on.

However, newer Railcraft versions add a lot of decorative blocks that imitate the multiblock structures. For example, you can make a kind of brick that looks exactly like the coke oven bricks, except that it's purely decorative. Those blocks can be used to close gaps between coke ovens, or build them seamlessly into larger structures, without disrupting the multiblocks.

Who knows, maybe there is such a decorative block for iron tanks as well?

Also, are you sure that the person in the video was using Railcraft tanks, and not Xycraft ones? Those are able to touch each other...

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Iron tank walls actually use the same texture as Iron Blocks, so filling in the gaps between tanks is simple if expensive.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft's Filler. Might need multiple runs. Will need a huge source of the fill material. Best used with a significant source of MJ power.

Kimberly

Jul 29, 2019
How do I automate electrical engines?

I have electrical engines powering a carpenter, and the engines are hooked up to my EU network. I don't want to have to flip a switch every time I use the carpenter; the electrical engines should turn on when the machine is trying to build something and turn off when the machine is no longer trying to build something. Does it make a difference whether I use pipes or energy conduits?

megamit

Jul 29, 2019
How do I automate electrical engines?

I have electrical engines powering a carpenter, and the engines are hooked up to my EU network. I don't want to have to flip a switch every time I use the carpenter; the electrical engines should turn on when the machine is trying to build something and turn off when the machine is no longer trying to build something. Does it make a difference whether I use pipes or energy conduits?

You will have to make some Gates from buildcraft. You mount gates on pipes and they can interface with most bc based machines like the carpenter. What you can do is have the gate on a cobblestone structure pipe next to the carpenter set to output a redstone signal if their is work to do.
Check this: http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Gates

Kimberly

Jul 29, 2019
You will have to make some Gates from buildcraft. You mount gates on pipes and they can interface with most bc based machines like the carpenter. What you can do is have the gate on a cobblestone structure pipe next to the carpenter set to output a redstone signal if their is work to do.
Check this: http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Gates

What input signal do I need for "there is work to do", though? Would that be "machine on"? I interpreted that as a signal when a machine is already doing work.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, you'll have to do it seperately though by finding the download online and adding it to your mods folder, and replacing the old one.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, you'll have to do it seperately though by finding the download online and adding it to your mods folder, and replacing the old one.
I think I'll just wait for the next major update. What's the best way to power a quarry? Also, Can I destroy them with a electric wrench, safely?