Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
What are all these floating particles? They look kind of like the effect you get when you're near the void but they're white. I'm kind of scared.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
What are all these floating particles? They look kind of like the effect you get when you're near the void but they're white. I'm kind of scared.

Where are you standing? If you can find a way to get us a screenshot, this will be solved a whole lot quicker. Screenshots saved through MineCraft are saved in the "/screenshot" directory, I believe.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Where are you standing? If you can find a way to get us a screenshot, this will be solved a whole lot quicker. Screenshots saved through MineCraft are saved in the "/screenshot" directory, I believe.
I've tried that, but I'm running Windows 8, and can't find that file. I was in a village in the dessert.[DOUBLEPOST=1363387081][/DOUBLEPOST]Can I store enchantment levels in something besides a book?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried that, but I'm running Windows 8, and can't find that file. I was in a village in the dessert.[DOUBLEPOST=1363387081][/DOUBLEPOST]Can I store enchantment levels in something besides a book?

Then I cannot help you. What about taking a picture using a camera/your phone/etc?

And no, books are the only way to store enchantments using the vanilla MineCraft enchanting system.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You can store LEVELS themselves, through LiquidXP (immibis separate mod), Brain in a Jar's (holds 30 levels), and Enchanting Turtles (can enchant for ya too!)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft research.[DOUBLEPOST=1363387455][/DOUBLEPOST]You seem to have a lot of questions, how long have you been playing FTB?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Screenshots you take should be saved in: <folder where the FTB launcher is>\<modpack name>\minecraft\screenshots

And keep on trucking, you'll get better every day ;)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Since Sunday. I'm a noobie.
May I suggest looking at some wikis? On the first page of this thread there are a bunch of useful links. One leads to a great getting started guide in where you can start with one mod (IC2, FZ, or TE), and get pretty far with them. But try starting with only one mod. I played technic, and I started with IC2 (the WRONG MOD for tekkit, EE2 is definitely a better one to start with if you don't want to work for your stuff mine a lot).

ANYWAYS, choose a mod you like, start with it, and read a few wikis. But keep asking questions here if you don't know what to do, much better than making 20 new threads (which one guy did do :p)

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Screenshots you take should be saved in: <folder where the FTB launcher is>\<modpack name>\minecraft\screenshots

And keep on trucking, you'll get better every day ;)
I'm really sorry for my level of noobity, but I just cant find it. I found where it was saved, but it was always just the.exe and not a folder I could go into. It saves two files both with something to do about a server and one's a text file and the other another and I don't know what they're meant for. Windows 8 is confusing.[DOUBLEPOST=1363388979][/DOUBLEPOST]
May I suggest looking at some wikis? On the first page of this thread there are a bunch of useful links. One leads to a great getting started guide in where you can start with one mod (IC2, FZ, or TE), and get pretty far with them. But try starting with only one mod. I played technic, and I started with IC2 (the WRONG MOD for tekkit, EE2 is definitely a better one to start with if you don't want to work for your stuff mine a lot).

ANYWAYS, choose a mod you like, start with it, and read a few wikis. But keep asking questions here if you don't know what to do, much better than making 20 new threads (which one guy did do :p)
I made one thread to ask where I could ask a lot of questions and I was directed here. It's the perfect place to ask these kind of questions and I've gotten so much help, it's just amazing.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
What are "research notes"? I crafted them using knowledge shards.[DOUBLEPOST=1363391318][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there anything better than the iron furnace?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I hooked up a batbox to a compressor via a copper cable and no matter what I do I can't get the compressor to charge up. How do I remedy this?

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
high probability the village had an apiarist house and you were seeing flyer bees particle effects, which stopped by the time you returned later as the queen died. look for a hut with two apiaries behind it fenced in. extremely good odds on a princess and some drones int eh apiary on the output(right hand) slots.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
What are "research notes"? I crafted them using knowledge shards.[DOUBLEPOST=1363391318][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there anything better than the iron furnace?
Research Notes are for learning more... special, research items. Many of the relate to Golems, so you may find that they don't help much for homes without golems running about, but they are pretty sweet looking, actually. I like to give my Tallow Golems a Fez and a Bowtie.
EDIT: Oh, and a normal Furnace with a Furnace Heater next to it from Factorization. Not faster IIRC, but much cheaper in terms of fuel. They're pretty snazzy.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
high probability the village had an apiarist house and you were seeing flyer bees particle effects, which stopped by the time you returned later as the queen died. look for a hut with two apiaries behind it fenced in. extremely good odds on a princess and some drones int eh apiary on the output(right hand) slots.
Indeed, there was a house like you described. I raided it, which does explain why the particles later disappeared. How do I use the Research notes? All I have is a blank sheet of amazing-looking paper!

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, there was a house like you described. I raided it, which does explain why the particles later disappeared. How do I use the Research notes? All I have is a blank sheet of amazing-looking paper!
These research notes are from Thaumcraft 3. For more information about this mod, please read: http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started_(Thaumcraft) and http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Thaumcraft_3_Wiki
You will want to store the knowledge fragments (before crafting them into a research note), until you are unable to further research into TC3. Then you can use these research notes for some research which can only be gotten via these knowledge fragments.

For your furnaces:
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started_(IndustrialCraft) with a macerator (for doubling the yield of your ores) and an electric furnace. (Uses energy of the same type you used with your batbox).
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started_(Thermal_Expansion) with a pulverizer (^^^^^^) and a powered furnace. (Uses BuildCraft-style energy, produced by almost anything with "engine" as part of its name).