Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
A quarry? Pickaxes should work, and you can use electrical engines to power quarries, as well as Redstone Energy Cells. Many use Energy Tesseracts, and it's possible to send liquid to Magmatic Engines to power it. Steam engines are a good first engine, with 2 mj/t and running on coal, it'd be easy to power them. You can also power them with a straight up boiler, and combustion engines are tried and true.

But there are TONS of ways to power quarries, they'll take up to 48mj/t, so mixing any of the above methods (and more) would do nicely.

But if you're just starting, a few steam engines (from TE) should do the trick.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll just wait for the next major update. What's the best way to power a quarry? Also, Can I destroy them with a electric wrench, safely?
I like redstone energy cells for powering a quarry. You can have a crescent wrench turtle swap em out for full ones, much less energy loss for a remote quarry than using a tesseract. If you're far enough along, electric engines and advanced/compact solars work well. Really the types of engines you use depends on what fuel you have available. A few sterlings will do it, just very slowly. Also, BC machines don't need a wrench, you can just break it with a pick. Electric wrench lossless mode is for IC2 machines.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
A quarry? Pickaxes should work, and you can use electrical engines to power quarries, as well as Redstone Energy Cells. Many use Energy Tesseracts, and it's possible to send liquid to Magmatic Engines to power it. Steam engines are a good first engine, with 2 mj/t and running on coal, it'd be easy to power them. You can also power them with a straight up boiler, and combustion engines are tried and true.

But there are TONS of ways to power quarries, they'll take up to 48mj/t, so mixing any of the above methods (and more) would do nicely.

But if you're just starting, a few steam engines (from TE) should do the trick.
I'd like a system that I can run by itself and nothing will explode. Right now I'm just using two stirling engines, and those shouldn't explode until the quarry reaches bedrock. I'm paranoid that I'll lose my quarry though because I spent 3 days collecting the materials for it and it would really suck if I lost it because I became careless.[DOUBLEPOST=1363541026][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like redstone energy cells for powering a quarry. You can have a crescent wrench turtle swap em out for full ones, much less energy loss for a remote quarry than using a tesseract. If you're far enough along, electric engines and advanced/compact solars work well. Really the types of engines you use depends on what fuel you have available. A few sterlings will do it, just very slowly. Also, BC machines don't need a wrench, you can just break it with a pick. Electric wrench lossless mode is for IC2 machines.
Just to extra sure, I can break a quarry with, say, my mining drill and I'll get my quarry back no problem?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is it worth upgrading to an advanced mining drill? Or should I keep my normal mining drill? OR, invest in a mining laser?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is it worth upgrading to an advanced mining drill? Or should I keep my normal mining drill? OR, invest in a mining laser?

The advanced drill is slightly faster, but uses 2x the power of the diamond drill. If you've got an ultimate lappack or something similar, go ahead and upgrade. If you're just using the internal storage or a batpack, I wouldn't bother. The faster mining time is mitigated by more time spent recharging.

The mining laser is absolutely amazing for manually mining large areas, but I actually prefer the drill for smaller-scale projects. For what it's worth: in my experience the mining laser set to long range mode is the absolute fastest mining technique available. It's several times faster than a fully powered quarry, the only catch is you have to do things manually. Also, if you're playing mindcrack or ultimate, getting the laser can be quite an investment unless you've already built up your GregTech infrastructure (or changed the configs).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Once I've got my sorting system set up so that I can throw my Lappack into my enderpouch to be recharged and pull out a fresh one, I think I might switch over to using a mining laser all the time. They are pretty awesome, the only down side apart from huge energy usage is the occasional forest fire.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That said, I still don't get why people don't simply give the new farms a try. .

Same reason people find a power system they like and then always build the same one.

Many people dislike change for any reason or lack the creativeness to do anything else once they found 'the correct' way to do things.

Its why people get all up in arms when there some change to a mod that even remotly makes them do something diffrent. More so if it takes more work.

But do not worry sooner or later someone will come up with a way to use the new things in a way that is as good or better then the old things. They will then spell out just how to do it from A to Z. After that you will see it be used and held up as the new 'correct way' to do things. .... until the next change.

Reactions: MouseyPounds

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I have a slight problem with my melee turtles. I started with the usual "while true do ..attack.. end" loop and that works fine. What I would like to implement next is a detectDown() into the mix. Yeah, overly complicated but hey, easy is meh. ;)

Code atm looks like this:

Code:
while turtle.detectDown() do
  while turtle.attack() do
  print ("Block present.")
  turtle.attack()
  end
end

It is printing the "Block present" message - but even though it has a zombie right in front of it, it is not attacking. I'm obviously doing something very wrong. Hooray for the lua-nub. Please, a pointer (pun not intended) into the right direction?

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Same reason people find a power system they like and then always build the same one.

Many people dislike change for any reason or lack the creativeness to do anything else once they found 'the correct' way to do things.

Its why people get all up in arms when there some change to a mod that even remotly makes them do something diffrent. More so if it takes more work.

But do not worry sooner or later someone will come up with a way to use the new things in a way that is as good or better then the old things. They will then spell out just how to do it from A to Z. After that you will see it be used and held up as the new 'correct way' to do things. .... until the next change.
I guess I'm opposite most people. I'm constantly trying new power sources and change excites me. Also I like the new farms, they're very customizable. Now my question, were I to make a power loop using a bunch of magma crucibles, would it be more efficient to use magmatic engines, or a steam boiler, or something else? E.G. engines/boiler make 30 MJ/t per crucible, running on lava from crucibles, any excess lava is power profit. Or maybe set up exactly enough crucibles to fuel a 36HP boiler and excess MJ is profit. There's so many angles to attack it from, not sure where to start.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'm opposite most people. I'm constantly trying new power sources and change excites me. Now my question, were I to make a power loop using a bunch of magma crucibles, would it be more efficient to use magmatic engines, or a steam boiler, or something else? E.G. engines/boiler make 30 MJ/t per crucible, running on lava from crucibles, any excess lava is power profit.

I relish making fun and complex builds. Silly BT system check.... Overly complex Golem based biomass system totaly on my todo list... a TE steam engine based nightmare power room check (sadly the world got corrupted)...

I like the challange of doing things and if something feels to easy or to cheaty to me I avoid its use.

And you answer

you will need to have a small magmatic engine system as a sort of boiler boot up system. But beyound that HP boilers once running are faily good for power gen.

I belive the power gen loop from magma crucibles and magmatic engies using just cobble as been nerfed recently I remember running into an issue with it on my mothership build so i'm not sure you can make a sustainable loop anymore.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
It takes 20k MJ to turn cobble into lava in a magma crucible.

Lava buckets in solid fueled boilers got rebalanced a little while ago. They only produce 1k heat (for reference charcoal is 1.6k). That's about 63 ticks (just over 3 seconds) worth of fuel in a max temp. 36HP boiler. That would give you 9091 MJ.

Magmatic engines produce 18k MJ for each bucket of lava.

Neither strategy will give you a feedback loop for infinite energy. You can use Netherrack in the crucible to cut down the MJ required to 8k to get an energy gain, but then you'll have to arrange for netherrack to be continually supplied to your system.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
I have a slight problem with my melee turtles. I started with the usual "while true do ..attack.. end" loop and that works fine. What I would like to implement next is a detectDown() into the mix. Yeah, overly complicated but hey, easy is meh. ;)

Code atm looks like this:

Code:
while turtle.detectDown() do
  while turtle.attack() do
  print ("Block present.")
  turtle.attack()
  end
end

It is printing the "Block present" message - but even though it has a zombie right in front of it, it is not attacking. I'm obviously doing something very wrong. Hooray for the lua-nub. Please, a pointer (pun not intended) into the right direction?
did you try standing infront of it? check to see if it will attack you

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It takes 20k MJ to turn cobble into lava in a magma crucible.

Lava buckets in solid fueled boilers got rebalanced a little while ago. They only produce 1k heat (for reference charcoal is 1.6k). That's about 63 ticks (just over 3 seconds) worth of fuel in a max temp. 36HP boiler. That would give you 9091 MJ.

Magmatic engines produce 18k MJ for each bucket of lava.

Neither strategy will give you a feedback loop for infinite energy. You can use Netherrack in the crucible to cut down the MJ required to 8k to get an energy gain, but then you'll have to arrange for netherrack to be continually supplied to your system.

Yes netherrack is the way to go and you can quarry a ton of it fairly lag free.

I see a lot of boilers switching to blaze rods or coal. Using soulshards or EE3 for there unlimited creation.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes netherrack is the way to go and you can quarry a ton of it fairly lag free.

I see a lot of boilers switching to blaze rods or coal. Using soulshards or EE3 for there unlimited creation.

Yeah, the original concept for the magma crucible was to replace nether lava pumps to reduce lag. Trip to Nether = semi-infinite lava either way.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
did you try standing infront of it? check to see if it will attack you
I found out that it's the "detectDown()" part that makes everything go downhill. I wanted to activate/deactivate the turtle with a piston - which would push a block up towards the turtle, so that detectDown() would return true and when I deactivate the piston, removing the block again and thus detectDown() returns false. So far, that works - but only one time. Once deactivated (block removed), the program ends. Is there a way that I can get my turtle to "wait" for this block to return, instead of terminating the execution of the program as a whole?
(I know, yet again, why I hate these little square buggers... -.-)

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that it's the "detectDown()" part that makes everything go downhill. I wanted to activate/deactivate the turtle with a piston - which would push a block up towards the turtle, so that detectDown() would return true and when I deactivate the piston, removing the block again and thus detectDown() returns false. So far, that works - but only one time. Once deactivated (block removed), the program ends. Is there a way that I can get my turtle to "wait" for this block to return, instead of terminating the execution of the program as a whole?
(I know, yet again, why I hate these little square buggers... -.-)
Can't you just run the redstone up to the turtles? I'm pretty sure they can interact with it.
Otherwise you can use a wireless modem and control them all from a centralised computer :) Wirelessness and less lag

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the original concept for the magma crucible was to replace nether lava pumps to reduce lag. Trip to Nether = semi-infinite lava either way.

Yeah I actully like the neitherrack system over the lava pumping system personally. I don't mind semi-infinite systems. They tend to have a lot of setup and at lest you sometimes have to go back and restock them up.

I'm just not a huge fan of static systems that are overly simple. I can't stand solar sure it is a bit costly to make the higher teir ones. But they take up only a 1x1 space and then run forever with no extra work beyound running a cable.

You know what I would love... a real solar farm. One you use to make steam from the sun.

You know one of these

desert-solar-farm.jpg

I would totally rock that.