Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing this is a fellow Resonant Rise player (guess how I figured). From what I gathered from their forums, you can turn some (not all) notifications from the cofhcore.cfg in the configs. Best I know.

Damn, you're good. LOL Is the pack not getting any further updates or something? I'm fine with just leaving them be since the update messages only show up at initial login.

I post here instead of on their forums because i refuse to generate yet another username/password for yet another modpack I might be playing for all of 2 weeks (hopefully much longer but one never knows). Everything these days is "register your account!"... no thanks.

And yes, I've gone looking for FTB Utilities twice already. LOL sigh And so it goes in the modded minecraft world.

I guess I'd add a note to modpack designers (something that most of them probably already realize)... if you add a feature to list all the out-of-date mods (which is very nice), it will generate a lengthy list until the end of time once the modpack reaches the end of it's "update cycles". LOL

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Next simple question: what's the best way to deal with Hellfish in the nether? I think I'm on death #20 now trying to get back to my original gravestone with ALL my good stuff in it.

As I say... I might not even be playing this pack for 2 weeks. Heck, I might not make it even one. LOL

At some point, do Hellfish just stop spawning? Or are they infinite? It seems like with every attempt to get back to my grave, I'm only adding to the number of them I have to deal with, there's at least a dozen of em now. It gets very tiring making the same stone sword over and over again since I lose it every time I die. LOL

Related question: Is there any limit to number of gravestones you can have? Will the very first gravestone (the only important one) always be there even if I don't get to it today and die 50 times?

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Best thing is travel more than 128 blocks away from the hellfish. That will cause them all to despawn or go back into their blocks. Then go back for your gravestone.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Quantum Network Bridge the only way to have long distance AE2 networks without cables? I can't seem to get it going with Tesseracts...

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Is the Quantum Network Bridge the only way to have long distance AE2 networks without cables? I can't seem to get it going with Tesseracts...
if ur trying to use a tesseact to jump start the more remote bridge and its failing 1. make sure the tesseact is on a valid side (maybe u need to feed the rf through an energy acceptor )
2. maybe u need one of ae energy cells simply make one and charge at the main network charging it with ae energy should as simple as connecting to an ae cable or conduit then after the cell is charged attach the ae energy cell on a Valid side of the bridge it should have enough power when fully charged to kick start the more remote side of the connection

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Next simple question: what's the best way to deal with Hellfish in the nether? I think I'm on death #20 now trying to get back to my original gravestone with ALL my good stuff in it.

As I say... I might not even be playing this pack for 2 weeks. Heck, I might not make it even one. LOL

At some point, do Hellfish just stop spawning? Or are they infinite? It seems like with every attempt to get back to my grave, I'm only adding to the number of them I have to deal with, there's at least a dozen of em now. It gets very tiring making the same stone sword over and over again since I lose it every time I die. LOL

Related question: Is there any limit to number of gravestones you can have? Will the very first gravestone (the only important one) always be there even if I don't get to it today and die 50 times?

Unsure what your options are, but I like the TiCo Scythe for Hellfish. They generally have low HP (unless modified) but they are pretty quick. The AoE on the Scythe allows me to remove a number of them per swipe.

That said, if something like Infernal Mobs is altering them, it's probably best to run away until they despawn, as the veins of Hellfish spawn blocks generate in groups of +/-24, which will overwhelm you quickly. In that scenario, fighting them is best left for a point where you have enough gear to not worry too much about them, which could be a while if you just lost your good set of gear.

The other best way to deal with them is to not let them spawn. Use a hammer in the Nether as mining the spawn blocks will be as slow as mining by hand, which will give you time to back off. If an explosion triggers them, it's usually easier to run than fight, even if you have the gear. The buggers are more hassle than it's worth.

Reactions: Henry Link

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
With the Ex Astris mod, how far apart do I need to place Portals in a Box in order to get a new Eldritch dimension? When I tried it apparently wasn't far enough because I ended up in the same dimension, outside of the normally impassable walls (which are apparently surrounded with bedrock).

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
With the Ex Astris mod, how far apart do I need to place Portals in a Box in order to get a new Eldritch dimension? When I tried it apparently wasn't far enough because I ended up in the same dimension, outside of the normally impassable walls (which are apparently surrounded with bedrock).
Several hundred I believe

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
if ur trying to use a tesseact to jump start the more remote bridge and its failing 1. make sure the tesseact is on a valid side (maybe u need to feed the rf through an energy acceptor )
2. maybe u need one of ae energy cells simply make one and charge at the main network charging it with ae energy should as simple as connecting to an ae cable or conduit then after the cell is charged attach the ae energy cell on a Valid side of the bridge it should have enough power when fully charged to kick start the more remote side of the connection
No, I just wanted to have access to my network on different floors (that are a bit far apart and accessible only through teleportation)

So I guess QNB is the only way to accomplish this?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Unsure what your options are, but I like the TiCo Scythe for Hellfish. They generally have low HP (unless modified) but they are pretty quick. The AoE on the Scythe allows me to remove a number of them per swipe.

That said, if something like Infernal Mobs is altering them, it's probably best to run away until they despawn, as the veins of Hellfish spawn blocks generate in groups of +/-24, which will overwhelm you quickly. In that scenario, fighting them is best left for a point where you have enough gear to not worry too much about them, which could be a while if you just lost your good set of gear.

The other best way to deal with them is to not let them spawn. Use a hammer in the Nether as mining the spawn blocks will be as slow as mining by hand, which will give you time to back off. If an explosion triggers them, it's usually easier to run than fight, even if you have the gear. The buggers are more hassle than it's worth.

Thanks, I still haven't gotten my stuff back and I'm probably closer to 50 deaths now. But in an odd way, it's been kinda fun to try to reach my grave. Probably more fun than actually playing the game. LOL

On the bright side... I'm gonna have quite the collection of "only used once!" Stone Swords to put up for sale on ebay when I'm finally done with this unexpected gravestone project of mine. :D

The worst part are the Zombie Pigmen in armor... because it is impossible for me to tell the difference between a Pigman in glowing yellow armor and a Skeleton in glowing yellow armor... and the whole trick to this exercise is killing the ridiculous amount of skeletons that are spawning in non-stop all around me, while NOT laying a sword on the Pigmen. So far, I've failed at this task, and that's why I'm failing to reach my grave. It's very frustrating, but I haven't given up yet, so that's good. I do rage-quit, but I think that's normal - just take a break, take a deep breath, and then get back at it. LOL

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This game can be really stupid sometimes. Like, impossible stupid. So now I've gotten all the Zombie Pigmen in the nether mad at me, and as a bonus, there's one stationed right at my Nether Portal on the nether side. So every time I go thru the Portal, I die instantly before I can even get a look at him, nevermind face him and swing my sword.

So basically, if this Zombie Pigman doesn't de-spawn (which it won't since I'm not in the nether), I cannot get to my grave with all my stuff in it, unless I make another portal hundreds of blocks away from my base and travel to the first portal location.

Really stupid. Really really really really really really really stupid indeed. I think it's time for yet another rage-quit, what do you think? LOL

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This game can be really stupid sometimes. Like, impossible stupid. So now I've gotten all the Zombie Pigmen in the nether mad at me, and as a bonus, there's one stationed right at my Nether Portal on the nether side. So every time I go thru the Portal, I die instantly before I can even get a look at him, nevermind face him and swing my sword.

So basically, if this Zombie Pigman doesn't de-spawn (which it won't since I'm not in the nether), I cannot get to my grave with all my stuff in it, unless I make another portal hundreds of blocks away from my base and travel to the first portal location.

Really stupid. Really really really really really really really stupid indeed. I think it's time for yet another rage-quit, what do you think? LOL
Server game?

Typically in this scenario, I don't try to turn and swing: I am running as soon as the Nether resolves. If that fails, you chalk the game up as cheating, and you go into Creative mode to "fix" it.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Server game?

Typically in this scenario, I don't try to turn and swing: I am running as soon as the Nether resolves. If that fails, you chalk the game up as cheating, and you go into Creative mode to "fix" it.

yeah im on someone else's server so i'm pretty much screwed i think. I don't think we have any method for players "teleporting" to another player's location to help them out, altho if the server operator is nice (and he always is), he might be able to help me out... but I'm generally too proud to ask for that kinda "cheaty" help. I'd rather just rage-quit because that just seems more satisfying at this point. LOL

I literally am killed the instant I step INTO the portal. By the time I emerge on the other side, I'm already dead every time, it is (literally) instantaneous, probably because I have zero armor (and no materials to make any from). My armor and my best sword are obviously in that very first gravestone that I can't get back to.

I do have an idea, use gravel from way up high to surround the gravestone and block mobs from reaching me, then fill above the grave with more gravel and dig it out, which should put me at my grave and allow me to get my stuff back. But now I can't even get to the nether without making 10 more obsidians and going 300 blocks away from my base and making another portal and traveling thru the nether to get to my first portal, which I probably won't survive that trip, meaning more gravestones.

My nether is filled with JourneyMap waypoints for all my deaths, it actually looks kinda psychedelic since every waypoint is a diff color and generates a "beam of light" all the way to the ceiling. LOL

What irks me the most is that I don't think the Zombie Pigman "timer" is gonna expire, since I'm not in the nether... so I don't think their "clock" is ticking down. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am... which means that Pigman is going to stand guard at the Portal til eternity and kill me every time, he's never gonna go back into "peaceful" mode.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But now I can't even get to the nether without making 10 more obsidians and going 300 blocks away from my base and making another portal and traveling thru the nether to get to my first portal, which I probably won't survive that trip, meaning more gravestones.
Woops this was gonna be my next suggestion.

Yeah I'd prolly rage myself at that point. It would be my own fault tho for going to the nether a tiny bit prematurely :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Everyone needs a hobby... :D

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Woops this was gonna be my next suggestion.

Yeah I'd prolly rage myself at that point. It would be my own fault tho for going to the nether a tiny bit prematurely :p

I totally agree Pyure, I am kicking myself.

I was actually doing fine, until I found a nice narrow cave and decided "Well, no pigmen can get me in here, I can mine all the Nether Ores I like and I don't care if it upsets them."

However, what I didn't realize is that Resonant Rise Mainline has additional nether mobs. One of them is called Hellfish, and they are everything the name implies. They are HELL. And I unknowingly unleashed them when I began VeinMining the nether ores.

But even they were manageable. The problem REALLY began when one of those stupid little buggers knocked me into a hole in the floor, where I fell down about 10 blocks into the waiting arms of at least 5 skeletons, all wearing armor and some of them being the more powerful type of mob, such as "Sickly Skeleton".

Then, on each succeeding trip, while trying to find a way I could dig a stairs down to get at my grave... all the blocks were infested with Hellfish, so my digging a stairs constantly released them, and I constantly died over and over.

Ah well, I don't have to explain to you modded veterans, you know the drill, and what I'm dealing with, all too well. But I think I might have reached the breaking point finally, 24 hours of this rubbish is bordering on insanity. I'd be much better off if I just go outside and soak up the sunshine instead of raging in front of this stupid damn computer for yet another day. LOL

Reactions: Pyure

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually doing fine, until I found a nice narrow cave and decided "Well, no pigmen can get me in here, I can mine all the Nether Ores I like and I don't care if it upsets them."

However, what I didn't realize is that Resonant Rise Mainline has additional nether mobs. One of them is called Hellfish, and they are everything the name implies. They are HELL. And I unknowingly unleashed them when I began VeinMining the nether ores.
Actually it's nether ores that adds those, it's just that they're not always enabled due to the issues they can cause. Because you know, ores that aggro pigmen aren't enough, why not add a nether version of the silverfish too? or something like that.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it's nether ores that adds those, it's just that they're not always enabled due to the issues they can cause. Because you know, ores that aggro pigmen aren't enough, why not add a nether version of the silverfish too? or something like that.

BAM. You nailed it. LOL Good job, NetherOres mod developer, whoever you are... you're a real "sport". hehe But I'm also a real whiner, so I guess we're even. :D

Ok, I have a new idea... and I think it might work... the Pigman at my portal killed me yet again, but this time I'm not clicking "Respawn", I'm letting the popup remain on-screen. Since I'm on a server, the server is still running, I can hear the pigman and i know he's moving around. The game thinks I'm in the nether, which is perfect! So either he's going to move far enough away from the portal where I can actually get thru it and survive, OR, his "timer" is gonna run out and he'll become peaceful again. I'll update in 10 mins or so whether my strategy worked or not.

Edit: make that 20 minutes... because just as I respawned to my base, I got the "Blood Moon" message and immediately disconnected from the server to wait another 10 minutes for the night to pass. Is this fun, or what? LOL

Final update: My strategy for getting rid of the pigman at my Portal worked! That's the good news. The bad news is, I deleted my instance of the modpack from the launcher so I'm not tempted to keep frustrating and aggravataing myself over a damn game. LOL There will be other modpacks, I'm looking forward to this "Inventions" one... life goes on, no need to spend it wallowing in negative emotions tho. :D

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Build some Iron Golems on the Overworld side and push them through the portal? ;)