Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a complete listing of ALL the so-called "private" (i.e. hidden) modpacks in the FTB Launcher?

I've asked this before (and gotten answers) but what is the point of hiding modpacks behind "private codes"?

Yesterday, based on a modpack recommendation, I installed the Curse Launcher. While on Curse, I discovered a modpack called Space Astronomy, and it noted that it can be found on the FTB Launcher by entering a "Pack Code". Since I had a terrible experience running Minecraft via Curse (it's a horrible app IMO, I don't need a chat app, I just need a Minecraft launcher), I immediately switched back to the FTB Launcher and loaded up the pack that way. MUCH, MUCH better.

But it all makes me ask this question: What is the point? What is the purpose behind hiding modpacks that I might enjoy playing, but since I don't even know they exist, how can I?
I have no idea why they're hidden.

Can someone tell me why all this Curse hate? It isn't that bad (for me, anyway). Has a lot of packs not present on the FTB/AT launchers. I'll give it that most of these packs don't offer much (again, to me) but I find it useful for smaller, more homely groups to share packs among people that aren't that good with computers.

Only thing that slightly annoys me is that I have yet another app installed that does the same as another I already have (*squints at iTunes*)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a complete listing of ALL the so-called "private" (i.e. hidden) modpacks in the FTB Launcher?

I've asked this before (and gotten answers) but what is the point of hiding modpacks behind "private codes"?

Yesterday, based on a modpack recommendation, I installed the Curse Launcher. While on Curse, I discovered a modpack called Space Astronomy, and it noted that it can be found on the FTB Launcher by entering a "Pack Code". Since I had a terrible experience running Minecraft via Curse (it's a horrible app IMO, I don't need a chat app, I just need a Minecraft launcher), I immediately switched back to the FTB Launcher and loaded up the pack that way. MUCH, MUCH better.

But it all makes me ask this question: What is the point? What is the purpose behind hiding modpacks that I might enjoy playing, but since I don't even know they exist, how can I?
I dont know how well updated this it, but it is worth a try:
https://www.modpackindex.com/
You can filter by launcher, or search my mods. Its pretty good for finding that specific type of pack you want.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea why they're hidden.

Can someone tell me why all this Curse hate? It isn't that bad (for me, anyway). Has a lot of packs not present on the FTB/AT launchers. I'll give it that most of these packs don't offer much (again, to me) but I find it useful for smaller, more homely groups to share packs among people that aren't that good with computers.

Only thing that slightly annoys me is that I have yet another app installed that does the same as another I already have (*squints at iTunes*)

For one, the Curse launcher maxes out at 6GB of RAM to assign to java. Secondly, it adds a whole bunch of java arguments which I do not use anymore when I run Minecraft thru the FTB launcher (except to assign more RAM obv). Third, when I ran a modpack thru Curse, it ran so horribly that I had to quit after 15 mins. I don't know if it was the java RAM, the java arguments, or the modpack itself... either way, I RAN back to the FTB launcher, I didn't just walk. LOL

Just the whole "look" of the Curse launcher is very off-putting to me. It's got that "Microsoft Windows 8" desktop look to it with buttons that fill 1/4 of my screen. The Curse launcher looks cartoonish and juvenile, I don't know how else to explain it. It's like its trying to become Skype/Twitter/Facebook, but doesn't know how to go about it just yet. Meh. Leave me out of all that crap. Just let me play Minecraft.

Oh, and Curse launcher is also one of those apps that is "always on". As soon as you install it, it defaults to loading and running itself every time Windows starts up. Yes, I immediately found the setting to turn that "feature" off, but it's that exact feature, when I find it in an application, tells me everything I need to know about the developer and their intentions. It's intrusive beyond what I find acceptable. That setting should be OFF by default, not ON. It might sound like a minor, trivial thing to you, but it isn't to me. *I* decide what runs on my computer, not the stupid apps or the stupid greedy developers.

Edit: You nailed it when you said "for people that aren't good with computers". That's the Curse Launcher. Minecraft for Dummies. Perfecto! Just how I feel about it... so sue me. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashendale

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
The dragon drops it right? or am I remembering that wrong? Anyway endstone is the fastest material for sifting so you'll probably want that, note that for maximum returns you have to take the draconium dust blocks you get and turn them into draconic ore before using fortune on that, averages out at about 0.2 draconium per endstone iirc, and 0.1 draconium per netherrack if you maximise returns that way. The maths I did should be somewhere in the first couple of pages of the Infinity Skyblock discussion thread if you want more precise numbers, basically just amounts to while you get more draconium for every netherrack draconium chunk the increased drop rate on endstone pushes it ahead. As for some bizarre reason they made primal mana not require cobalt or ardite anymore you don't even really need to sift that much netherrack at all.
The dragon drops a Dragon Heart, which is used in making Awakened Draconium. Does not drop Draconium ore/ingots, as far as I know.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
How do I obtain the Crimson Rites book in Infinity Evolved Skyblock? I need it in order to be able to make the Eldritch Eye, but there are no Eldritch Obelisks, therefore no Crimson Cultists. I've researched everything from the Ex Astris section and am out of ideas.
Anyone? I did some digging and someone said the only way to get an Eldritch Eye is to deliberately give yourself loads of warp in order to maximize your chances of an Eldritch Guardian spawning, which rarely drop Eldritch Eyes. Is this really the only way?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The dragon drops a Dragon Heart, which is used in making Awakened Draconium. Does not drop Draconium ore/ingots, as far as I know.
Thought at one point it dropped a bit of draconium dust which was why I mentioned it.
Anyone? I did some digging and someone said the only way to get an Eldritch Eye is to deliberately give yourself loads of warp in order to maximize your chances of an Eldritch Guardian spawning, which rarely drop Eldritch Eyes. Is this really the only way?
You can craft them with researches in the eldritch tab from an eye of ender and two void seeds iirc.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Thought at one point it dropped a bit of draconium dust which was why I mentioned it.

You can craft them with researches in the eldritch tab from an eye of ender and two void seeds iirc.
The requirement for that research is that Crimson Rites was read. Crimson rites is a book that only drops from Crimson Cultists.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Well, does anyone at least know how to automate Well of Suffering from Blood Magic? The monster spawning is no problem for me, I've got that covered. My issue is I want to have my altar free to make slates and stuff but not have to worry about my soul network. I've tried using a second altar and pumping the life essence but due to the internal buffer it's way too slow to be sustainable. I've tried using runes of dislocation, too. It would take way too many to actually make a difference. Ideas?

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Well, does anyone at least know how to automate Well of Suffering from Blood Magic? The monster spawning is no problem for me, I've got that covered. My issue is I want to have my altar free to make slates and stuff but not have to worry about my soul network. I've tried using a second altar and pumping the life essence but due to the internal buffer it's way too slow to be sustainable. I've tried using runes of dislocation, too. It would take way too many to actually make a difference. Ideas?
i personally make a completely 2nd altar and match the tier of the first altar, both setup w/ well of suffering ritual. Idk if there's a way to read how much LP is in your network to pull the orb out or not but i'd rather have a separate altar.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
i personally make a completely 2nd altar and match the tier of the first altar, both setup w/ well of suffering ritual. Idk if there's a way to read how much LP is in your network to pull the orb out or not but i'd rather have a separate altar.
That just seems incredibly wasteful and still doesn't actually leave a free altar.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
So uh, people seem to dislike curse launcher because it is childish and simple *Checks to make sure this is a minecraft forum* uhh anyone else have issues where FTB does not launch no matter what? Unistalling/Reinstalling, updating Java, changing Java path, redownloading packs, importing packs. But they work when I move them to the curse launcher...

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
the comparator will read the orb level if there is an orb in it. It will be based on the max level of the orb in it. So if I have a master blood orb and fill my network to 1 mil and put the magician's blood orb in the altar which has a max of 150k, the comparator will consider full to be if my LP network is above 150k.

as for the original question my current untested plan is to have a comparator on another altar and have that one remove a redstone signal from a transfer node on the altar to pull out the used orb into a chest when my LP network is full. it will then activate the signal to the transfer node on the chest preventing it from sending the orb back to the altar. when my LP dips below half it will reverse the two. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

BTW dislocation is nice but you should also try runes of acceleration. if you are using two altars, then the best way IMO is to have the well of suffering altar hold you orb and have 19 runes of acceleration which will reduce the # of ticks for when the altar fills it's buffer from 20 to 1 so it will get 10 lp/t instead of 10lp/ second and then a combination of runes of dislocation and sacrifice. then move that blood into the second altar which will likely hold mostly runes of speed, dislocation and accelerations. This causes you to sacrifice almost nothing compared to a single altar as each altar is just turning either it's runes of speed or acceleration into dislocation and acceleration.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
That just seems incredibly wasteful and still doesn't actually leave a free altar.
how do you figure? One altar has an orb in it to keep the network full and the other one is empty so crafting can be done, both altars are completely separate of each other have well of suffering underneath. This allows it to be automated and not worry about the network going dry. Please explain how this is wasteful too, if this is wasteful then technically anything you do is wasteful as you're using resources to achieve an end goal.

So uh, people seem to dislike curse launcher because it is childish and simple *Checks to make sure this is a minecraft forum* uhh anyone else have issues where FTB does not launch no matter what? Unistalling/Reinstalling, updating Java, changing Java path, redownloading packs, importing packs. But they work when I move them to the curse launcher...

i like the curse launcher too, its easier to edit packs on the fly and just a cleaner look IMO. Yea its a multi-use launcher but you just click on minecraft logo to get to the packs.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
i like the curse launcher too, its easier to edit packs on the fly and just a cleaner look IMO. Yea its a multi-use launcher but you just click on minecraft logo to get to the packs.
I mean it's childish in design, but hey this is minecraft, and I do like the ease of updating mods, but maybe I'm just lazy *Looks at 100s of LoC in Minetweaker* or maybe I'm selectively lazy and don't like going around tons of sites for all the different mods.

Reactions: fimbrethil

Inferius77

Jun 15, 2015
It is safe to chunk load Botania yet, with chickenchunks? Last summer when I played on a server, the admins were telling me how it was banned because it would cause crashes that would have to be fixed in an editor.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
the comparator will read the orb level if there is an orb in it. It will be based on the max level of the orb in it. So if I have a master blood orb and fill my network to 1 mil and put the magician's blood orb in the altar which has a max of 150k, the comparator will consider full to be if my LP network is above 150k.

as for the original question my current untested plan is to have a comparator on another altar and have that one remove a redstone signal from a transfer node on the altar to pull out the used orb into a chest when my LP network is full. it will then activate the signal to the transfer node on the chest preventing it from sending the orb back to the altar. when my LP dips below half it will reverse the two. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

BTW dislocation is nice but you should also try runes of acceleration. if you are using two altars, then the best way IMO is to have the well of suffering altar hold you orb and have 19 runes of acceleration which will reduce the # of ticks for when the altar fills it's buffer from 20 to 1 so it will get 10 lp/t instead of 10lp/ second and then a combination of runes of dislocation and sacrifice. then move that blood into the second altar which will likely hold mostly runes of speed, dislocation and accelerations. This causes you to sacrifice almost nothing compared to a single altar as each altar is just turning either it's runes of speed or acceleration into dislocation and acceleration.
Well, in the modpack I'm playing (Infinity Evolved Skyblock), Acceleration runes require at least an Archmage's Blood Orb. And for that I need a demon blood shard, and for the arcane plinth I need a null catalyst. Sooo...

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in the modpack I'm playing (Infinity Evolved Skyblock), Acceleration runes require at least an Archmage's Blood Orb. And for that I need a demon blood shard, and for the arcane plinth I need a null catalyst. Sooo...

Hah, I'm playing the same, never looked at the acceleration rune recipe TBH. My one altar solution should work in that case, still untested though. Though the null catalyst is actually pretty easy to make. You can use a uncharged nether star to get the nether star using a t4 altar just gotta be careful not to keep it in too long as the nether star makes one of the teleposition focuses. I think the bigger issue is that I think demon summoning requires a master blood orb and those require eldritch eyes. More painful IMO than a nether star.