Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a reason that all the Mekanism ore quintupling setups space the machines out with pipes? It seems to me that you can actually stack them side to side to make the setup much more compact.
You can, and many people do. It is purely a cosmetic preference.

Reactions: Firnagzen

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
... I wonder how compact I can make a 5x ore quintupling setup...

Hm. On a second note, where does the ore quintupling setup usually bottleneck?
So I haven't done it in a while but they added speed upgrades to the few first machines of the process right? So the bottleneck will probably be the evaporation plant or whather it was called, the giant copper thing.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hm. On a second note, where does the ore quintupling setup usually bottleneck?
Last I did it was in 1.6.4 so might be out of date.

But back then you needed many Chemical Washers and Crystalizers per ore to keep up. And lots of Salination plants, preferable in desert biomes to produce enough brine. And a lot of Sulphur/gunpowder for sulphuric acid.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So I haven't done it in a while but they added speed upgrades to the few first machines of the process right? So the bottleneck will probably be the evaporation plant or whather it was called, the giant copper thing.
Aye, the bottleneck is usually on the gas-using machines. Just keep in mind that you'll need multiple producers to run a single ore machine at full tilt. Also, you can get gaseous brine (needs to be put thru a rotary condensentrator to get proper brine) from oxidizing salt, so if you have a way to mass-produce salt (such as Pam's), you can entirely remove the solar evaporator from the equation, or at least supplement it for actual working during the night when the evaporators no longer work.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
1. Make pattern
2. Place pattern in Part Builder with some Cobblestone
3. Take stone part to a Casting Table.
4. Pour an ingot of Aluminum Brass or Gold over it. This will likely destroy your stone part.
5. Pour metal of choice into the mold. You will need four of these.
6. Assemble parts in a Tool Forge.

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019

Last I did it was in 1.6.4 so might be out of date.

But back then you needed many Chemical Washers and Crystalizers per ore to keep up. And lots of Salination plants, preferable in desert biomes to produce enough brine. And a lot of Sulphur/gunpowder for sulphuric acid.

Aye, the bottleneck is usually on the gas-using machines. Just keep in mind that you'll need multiple producers to run a single ore machine at full tilt. Also, you can get gaseous brine (needs to be put thru a rotary condensentrator to get proper brine) from oxidizing salt, so if you have a way to mass-produce salt (such as Pam's), you can entirely remove the solar evaporator from the equation, or at least supplement it for actual working during the night when the evaporators no longer work.
Hm, thanks. I've stuck one max height solar evaporation plant in a mystcraft eternal day age; I'll add more as needed. And I don't have Pam's harvestcraft. Sadly. (Direwolf20)

Firnagzen

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, following up on my earlier question about ore quintupling - I've got hydrogen and chlorine pumped into the left and right sides of the chemical infuser, and they're in the left and right tanks respectively. The infuser has power, and the redstone control is set to disabled - but the central tank is not filling up. Any ideas?

I'll grab a screenshot later, but for now - any common mistakes I could have made?

I'm stupid. I got sodium in there by accident because my pipes got messed up.

Last edited:

AfterLife6

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to double the planks I get from wood? I often run out of wood, I am still a newbie in this so I usually need a lot of wood to do many things since i'm at the biegging of the game. I know I can double ores with pulverizer+eletric furnace (I have this myself, in fact it's the only machines I have...).

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to double the planks I get from wood? I often run out of wood, I am still a newbie in this so I usually need a lot of wood to do many things since i'm at the biegging of the game. I know I can double ores with pulverizer+eletric furnace (I have this myself, in fact it's the only machines I have...).
You want a Sawmill :)

AfterLife6

Jul 29, 2019
You want a Sawmill :)

Thank you. It's working properly :)
EDIT: Is there a newbie-friendly stuff to know more about FTB? I'm watching the direwolf20 videos, and it sure is helping a lot but I was thinking if there is more sources to learn about ftb.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
EDIT: Is there a newbie-friendly stuff to know more about FTB? I'm watching the direwolf20 videos, and it sure is helping a lot but I was thinking if there is more sources to learn about ftb.
I think you're already going about it the best way. A possible alternative would be to check out an HQM such as Agrarian Skies. The quests can take you through a huge number of mods in a fairly step-by-step basis.

Reactions: Ashendale

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Keeping in mind what Pyure said (which is completely correct), there are less "hell on earth" quest packs available - any (all?) Jadedcat packs have every being out to kill you. Even the sheep, cows, etc.

So, even though it is a quest pack that offers progression/guidance, it will test your survivability up to a certain point (check FTB Departed for actual "hell on earth").

If you're not using Curse Voice, install it. It offers the FTB packs and others not featured here (it is also true that some packs associated with FTB do not show there).

Reactions: erindalc and Pyure

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Browse NEI and look up stuff on wikis all the time. Videos can be an easy and lazy way to get force fed information, but it is often much more compact, fleshed out and detailed on the wikis(if they are up to date).

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
What they already said. I did learend most by spending tons of time on Wiki+ Youtube searching for Modspotlights.
Also for the first playthrughs its possible better to "copy" stuff you find out there then inventing new.
Sure you will and should adapt it a bit from time to time, but before you come out with a new fancy way of doing things you first need to learn about all the "normal" ways.

But one thing is for sure, you will need time. I mayself do play MC for like 3-4 years now and still learning.
And I still did not learn how to build a propper looking building.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
So, even though it is a quest pack that offers progression/guidance, it will test your survivability up to a certain point (check FTB Departed for actual "hell on earth").

For an actual "hell on earth" modpack, you'd need to add Liycanite's Mobs, Mo' Creatures, Mutant Creatures, make it that the only biomes that exists is the Tainted Land, add Infernal Mobs, Special Mobs, Zombie awarness. After creating this pack, you'll get a "hell on earth" modpack

Reactions: Ashendale