Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ronny

Jul 29, 2019
why not disable in cofigs then do a /cofh killall mobname ?
also last time i used openblocks to disable a mob it did not remove any mobs that had already spawned it just stopped them from spawning
as i understand it OpenBlocks kills mobs that are named, they can spawn but immediately "despawn", if i did as you suggested with killall mobname (i'm not sure i can even) would it kill them across all worlds? will it also kill mobs that are in unloaded chunks? former not sure but latter i'm sure won't work. i want the mobs that have spawned to be killed with OpenBlocks because as i understand it it will be quicker/ more efficient than moving chunk by chunk across every world and doing this killall command with each move... that could take a while... there are also other reasons why i wish to do it with the OpenBlocks config though i figure that's really besides the point.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard that if they bully enough nodes they can be upgraded, but this isn't really something i've seen myself.
Stablisers can turn fading nodes into pale ones and remove unstable conditions from nodes (with the advanced one having a higher chance to do so), but they cannot say turn a pale into a normal.

You might try using a Primadorial Pearl on it, but 1. it's very unpredictable in what will happen, 2. you ought to do the research regarding nodes and pearls before trying, to improve your odds. Unless the node is huge I wouldn't bother seeing how rare and hard to get Primadorial Pearls are.

The brightness of a node determines how fast it recharges when drained (and does have an effect if you energise the node).
Fading Nodes don't regen vis at all. I'm not sure how this would interact with energisation, i've not tried.
Pale Nodes regen slower than usual.
And Bright Nodes regen faster than usual.

As to the types, only two actually affect the vis in the node.
Hungry Nodes eat blocks items and entities nearby. The aspects of what it eats are broken down into primals and can be used to embiggen the node. While dangerous, they can't eat Obsidian or other similarly tough materials, and a crafty thaumatargue can tame it to provide pretty much all the vis they'd ever need.
Unstable Nodes periodically lose vis capacity. When this happens it does produce an aspect orb.
For completeness:
Pure nodes protect against taint, and in a silverwood tree will convert the nearby land to magical forest.
Sinister nodes convert the nearby land to an Eeriee biome, spawn angry zombies, and are quite often found near places of interest to thaumatargues.
Tainted Nodes create taint around themselves, and make the biome Tainted Lands. Other nodes caught in a Tainted Lands biome can become Tainted themselves. (and this is usually a step in taming Hungry Nodes.)

Thanks a lot for the rundown.

So if I have a bright node to be energized, the CV I'd get from it would be grater/faster?

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys, I didn't play for a while, hence the question:

What is the best combination of TiC materials currently for:

- a pickaxe
- a hammer / excavator
- a longsword

Thanks in advance.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks a lot for the rundown.

So if I have a bright node to be energized, the CV I'd get from it would be grater/faster?
Bright is a 20% bonus before rounding, pale is a 20% penalty, again before rounding. I'm not sure how Fading fits in, and the type of node doesn't matter at all for this calculation.

If you interested in it, first convert all compounds to all primals they contain. Then take the highest value for each primal then square root it. It's at this point the bright bonus or pale penalty kicks in. Then you round down that number and that's the CV/t you'll get. For example, if you had a 25 aer 16 iter normal node, when energised, you'd get 5 cv/t in aer, and 4 cv/t in both terra and ordo.
EDIT:

- a pickaxe
- a hammer / excavator
- a longsword

Thanks in advance.
This is partly down to preference and depends on if ExtraTiC is avaible. Idon't know all the stuff from ExtraTiC so i'll use vanilla TiC materials.

Pickaxe, i personally go for a manyullium head, Obsidian Binding and Manyullium Rod. I usually add a Moss or Flux upgrade with Maxed Lapis. Some people would say use Cobalt Head, paper binding, Thaumium Rod + tons of redstone over what mods I add, but for a pick I usually want precision myself, hence i dont' want it to break blocks too quickly. Many is just the right speed for me. As for Moss, Once i got my hammer, I find I use that for mass mining, moss is usually more than enough for the light usage of my pickaxe. If you using Luck, note that 1 lapis sooner is good to have, as the pickaxe (or other tool) will slowly accumulate more luck whilst in use.

Hammer, Here's where i pretty much go all out on speed.

Cobalt Head, 1 Paper Plate, 1 Obsidian/Paper Plate (sometimes i do double paper sometimes i do one of each, idk why.) 1 Thaumium Rod. Flux modifer, Silky Jewel + Redstone galore.

I make my hammer as fast as I can make it, I usually use it to tear though terrain, switching to a pickaxe when there something i want fortune for. (Usually Gems).

Excavator:
I usually go for a pretty much full bronze Excavator, Perhaps with a stone or Paper Binding, or an Obby Plate. I don't usually need much more Durabilty or speed on this thing. I usually only give this flux, mossy or maybe silk touch.

Longsword:
I generally actually make a Cutlass if i can, although I'm a big fan of Botania's Terra Blade and Excaibur, so I dont' really use Tinkers weaponry except in early game. But the best Longsword is Many Blade (no questions here, highest damage), Paper Guard, Thaumium Tool Rod. You could possibly replace the Tool Rod or Guard with Cactus if you really want the Jagged modifer. I usually give my sword Moss, Lapis, then Quartz for sharpness.

Again this is down partly to personal preference, but for the top teir vanilla TiC materials her's the general drift:
Many: Highest Damage, Highest Durability.
Cobalt: Highest Speed.
Ardite: Stonebound 2.0. A full Ardite Tool is actually extremely Fast when it's close to breaking. But since Ardite is a tad harder to get than Cobalt in my opinion, I'd stick with cobalt.

Last edited:

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019

- a pickaxe
- a hammer / excavator
- a longsword

Thanks in advance.
Well, it all depends on what you want.
If you want speed:
-Cobalt Head
-Paper Binding
-Thaumium/Obsidian Rod.
Thaumium + Paper gives you two extra modifiers, whereas if you don't use TC obsidian gives you Reinforced (a.k.a. Unbreaking) III.

Durability:
-Many Head
-Paper Binding
-Obsidian Rod
I wouldn't recommend going this route if you can get Flux/Moss on the above tools, but if you don't have RF/access to Moss this will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of usage.
Modifiers:
-Flux/Moss: One of these will solve most of your durability troubles.
-Haste: Pretty self-explanatory, I'd recommend two levels IMO and then you still have 2/3 modifiers (if you have a thaumium rod or not)
-Fortune: My personal favorite is fortune, because it helps so often while mining. But I know other people prefer silk touch or Auto-Smelt. Any of these make mining easier.
-Diamond/Emerald: Adds a good deal of durability. Use emerald if the durability is >1000, otherwise diamond.

Hammer/Excavator:
Hammer:
- Cobalt Large Plate (x2)
- Cobalt Hammer Head
- Obsidian/Thaumium Tough Tool Rod.
Your philosophy for the hammer should be pretty much the same as the pickaxe. This set up is a nice mix of speed and durability. Your modifiers should be the same as your pick.
Excavator:
Honestly, I'd recommend just using an iron excavator with a wooden rod. It's not worth using cobalt like a hammer. But your modifiers should be similar to the pickaxe/hammer.

Longsword:
I personally prefer rapiers over longswords, but both are good swords. Now, the parts:
- Steel/Many Blade:
Steel and Many are tied with best damage in the game, so either works. It's down to aesthetics and the ease of getting the material.
-Paper Guard: Extra modifier. Nothing else to say here.
-Cactus/Obsidian/Thaumium Rod: Cactus has the Jagged modifier, which is Stonebound except for damage instead of mining speed. I prefer thaumium overall, but any will do well.
Modifiers:
-Quartz: Self-Explanatory. I prefer 2 levels.
-Beheading: If you have an extra modifier, this is a nice benefit.
-Diamond/Emerald: You can even do both for a truly amazing amount of durability.
-Flux/Moss: See above.
I hope this helps you out! I recommend experimenting alot, both in creative and survival.

Last edited:
Reactions: PureEvil

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that bindings (including tough plates on hammers) are actually used in calculating speed and durability and stuff, so paper bindings and such will slow down and weaken your tool.

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys, didn't expect that many answers :) Good to know that paper binding weakens the tool, still I am too used to it as it makes modifying it much less of a pain :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I'm 99.9% sure bindings don't affect tools in any way other than special effects. It's probably easy to test though. Plates do though.

Reactions: rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm 99.9% sure bindings don't affect tools in any way other than special effects. It's probably easy to test though. Plates do though.
I've heard differently, and I seem to recall feeling irked that my pick wasn't as fast as it was supposed to be. I'm not totally sure, though; let's split the difference and call the certainty 50%. ;)

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
as i understand it OpenBlocks kills mobs that are named, they can spawn but immediately "despawn", if i did as you suggested with killall mobname (i'm not sure i can even) would it kill them across all worlds? will it also kill mobs that are in unloaded chunks? former not sure but latter i'm sure won't work. i want the mobs that have spawned to be killed with OpenBlocks because as i understand it it will be quicker/ more efficient than moving chunk by chunk across every world and doing this killall command with each move... that could take a while... there are also other reasons why i wish to do it with the OpenBlocks config though i figure that's really besides the point.
just did a little testing and it seems openblocks config only stops natural spawns so it has no effect on termites as thay are spawned from the nests like a spawner

edit: after a bit more testing i was unable to block any mobs including vanilla mobs

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah this is my understanding too. Bindings only pass on their special stats(Writable, Unbreaking, Stonebound, etc.) to the tool, nothing else.

ronny

Jul 29, 2019
just did a little testing and it seems openblocks config only stops natural spawns so it has no effect on termites as thay are spawned from the nests like a spawner

edit: after a bit more testing i was unable to block any mobs including vanilla mobs
yeah, it's not very well understood how to do so, which is why i'm asking. maybe lookup "hecates and openblocks";)
in my version hecates are included as
arsmagica2.MobHecate
something i may have got from an NEI mob dump, if it had the option, which it doesn't.
still searching...

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft question - Is the Corporeal Attractor still in Thaumic Tinkering? Tips on how to get would be great.

I have been using the Ender IO attractor obelisk but have had issues - first it would not attract wither skeletons using a skeleton soul vial, now I removed the wither skeleton sould vial that I was able to get it working with while trying to get the endermen to attract, now the wither skeleton soul vial won't go back in - AND I have not managed to get it attracting endermen

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard differently, and I seem to recall feeling irked that my pick wasn't as fast as it was supposed to be. I'm not totally sure, though; let's split the difference and call the certainty 50%. ;)
If you had silk touch on your pick that might explain it, as that reduces speed by 2. The others are correct though, bindings and sword hilts don't effect durability, damage etc; they just pass on their traits, but in the Tool Forge tools, large plates do act as components of the tool head, and traits like speed and damage are averaged between the contributing parts (eg on a hammer the mining speed is averaged between the hammer head and the two plates).

Reactions: PierceSG

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
On Infinity 1.7.0 I have a T5 Blood Altar set up. I want to do the ritual of the Convocation of the Dead.

After some digging around I got the materials and figured i needed 25 Runes of the Orb to have the necessary 15M LP for the ritual. I replaced some of my altar runes with the 25 Orb runes and I noticed that my LP meter (that I have from socketed bound armor) did not change heights. That is, it seems to me that the maximum of possible LP in the network did not change.

http://imgur.com/a/IA5gb?gallery