Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that "tends to" with Buildcraft is the fact that players tend to do it wrong, and then blame their personal inability on the mod. It has always irked me and will continue to irk me to see stuff like that parroted on by people (not you specifically, just in general) who probably never even touched the mod beyond using the quarry because it has cooties and makes you uncool or something, or feel superior because they're hanging with the <replacement mod #517> crowd. Occasional content with failure modes is a de-facto standard among tech and magic mods alike, both old and new, and I feel that if people are surprised by it, they haven't been paying attention to what else they're already using in everyday gameplay.

The air compressor has far more issues than the mere fact that it has a failure mode; you can read all about it here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcalpha

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The only thing that "tends to" with Buildcraft is the fact that players tend to do it wrong, and then blame their personal inability on the mod.

Likewise it is entirely possible to rig up a system to manage the pressure in the air compressor and prevent catastrophic explody death. It's just a bit tricky.

The bit about it being a simple per-tick calculation rather than delivering power on a piston stroke is a good point though. It's kinda similar to 1.5 thermal expansion in that it uses MJ in a way buildcraft never did.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Correct. I never claimed that the explosion I experienced was the fault of anyone or anything but my own. ;) I'll be weeping when I spend all that steel and sintered tungsten on a new turbine, but I should have (at minimum) monitored my setup more carefully.

However it was kind if a "straw that broke the camel's back", another notch in a long series of various inconveniences that plague the air compressor right now. It made me decide to finally get off my arse and write those two posts (which got a lot longer than I intended, but there was a good amount of stuff to bring up). If the air compressor gets a complete rework for 1.7.x versions of Rotarycraft with Buildcraft's new RF-wrapped MJ implementation, then things will be better for everyone involved. Even if it ends up still having an explosion hazard.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
RoC is a lovely mod with fantastic attention to detail. I stopped using it / including it in my modpacks because of @Reika predilection to griefing. In my case a simple RoC upgrade cratered most of my base because he lowered coil capacities with no thought to existing installations.
And that is why you read changelogs. Do not blame me for inattention.

Reactions: Padfoote and Bigpak

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
RoC is a lovely mod with fantastic attention to detail. I stopped using it / including it in my modpacks because of @Reika predilection to griefing. In my case a simple RoC upgrade cratered most of my base because he lowered coil capacities with no thought to existing installations.

This was all on you man. One does not "simply" upgrade a mod version to an existing world without checking the changelogs.

I mean, let's say you had an IC2 nuclear reactor going. When you see a new version come out, you update. Let's say you were operating on the edge of heat management, and your OC heat vents got nerfed. If you didn't read the changelogs, you probably wouldn't know about it. You load up, and find your base a crater (if you didn't have safety shutoffs) or your power is out. Would you blame this on IC2's author(s)? or on the fact you didn't read up on changes before putting them in your active world?

Reactions: Padfoote and Reika

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Gah, I don't even know anymore. I think the sponges might have been from a different mod earlier because I'm 99% sure Open Blocks came out in one-six.
haha you're alright.

Nah they were vanilla for the longest time (factchecking, I'm not sure it was vanilla. I'm confused. but they were definitely in 1.4.7), and then for some reason OB decided they needed to make some too. I never understood why, maybe bigger range? Never used theirs tbh.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone got links or something to a good powerful Ic2 reactor setup that will not blow up all of my hard work?

Edit: And I'm playing the 1.6.4 direwolf pack

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
haha you're alright.

Nah they were vanilla for the longest time (factchecking, I'm not sure it was vanilla. I'm confused. but they were definitely in 1.4.7), and then for some reason OB decided they needed to make some too. I never understood why, maybe bigger range? Never used theirs tbh.

Going way back now, vanilla sponges were an indev thing. They weren't craftable in beta or 1.0+ up until the latest version.

You could get them in creative though.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Going way back now, vanilla sponges were an indev thing. They weren't craftable in beta or 1.0+ up until the latest version.

You could get them in creative though.
Yeah, that explains it then. Pretty sure I bought the ones I used from the admin shop. I would have never made an underwater shopping mall otherwise.

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone got links or something to a good powerful Ic2 reactor setup that will not blow up all of my hard work?

Edit: And I'm playing the 1.6.4 direwolf pack
Step 1 go to Google
Step 2 instead of searching ftb forums search dw20 modpack ice reactor setups
Step 3 make it[DOUBLEPOST=1410318544][/DOUBLEPOST]Also what do signatures do in this?

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything that can make giant underwater dome shapes automatically? I have tried MFFS and the buildcraft builder/planner/etc but it doesn't really work.