Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaphim12

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any block added by a mod that allows sheep to eat off it infinitely, so that grass doesn't have to re-spread before sheep can eat again?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Oops sorry the steel and iron tanks both hold roughly 3M buckets of fluid as a multi structure
From what I recall, steel holds 32000 mB per block and iron 16000 mB. Let's choose steel for now because it's obviously whole lot better. The storage size of a steel railcraft tank is 32 per volume of a block. To hold 3 million buckets of liquid, the tank thus needs to be 3000000/32 blocks in size. That's 93750.

Now, to get this kinda tank the dimensions would need to be a bit over 45*45*45

I don't even know if the tank can be built that big but if it can, it certainly takes more space than 1 quantum tank.

E: If we trust the railcraft wiki, the tanks can be built up to 9x8x9. This means that you'd need 145 full-size tanks to hold the 3 million buckets of liquid.

Reactions: Padfoote

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019
From what I recall, steel holds 32000 mB per block and iron 16000 mB. Let's choose steel for now because it's obviously whole lot better. The storage size of a steel railcraft tank is 32 per volume of a block. To hold 3 million buckets of liquid, the tank thus needs to be 3000000/32 blocks in size. That's 93750.

I don't even know if the tank can be built that big but if it can, it certainly takes more space than 1 quantum tank.

E: If we trust the railcraft wiki, the tanks can be built up to 9x8x9. This means that you'd need 145 full-size tanks to hold the 3 million buckets of liquid.
it maybe that I was using buckets with mb

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
The max-size railcraft tank is 9x8x9, if memory serves, though they do stack vertically. Nonetheless, a single max-size steel tank will be... 20,736 buckets, or almost exactly two orders of magnitude smaller. You'd need a hundred of them to match sizes. Yes, confusing buckets and millibuckets may be the issue.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah the maximum storage of a RC steel tank would be 20736 buckets(the 9x8x9 is the max size). The iron would hold half of that.

Deal is. Why on earth would people even want to store more than that? What on earth would require a buffer of liquids that large? Why not just acquire the liquids as you need them with a small buffer to even out irregularities. I am currently getting by with Extra cells storing 1-4000 buckets of each liquid. Once there is a demand for the liquids, Liquids level emitters kick in and starts the production/gathering/whatever of more of the liquids to keep level up.

Reactions: MigukNamja and Narc

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but sadly you're not the mass =(
I think that's a bit unnecessarily cynical. My storage systems tend to work under the same rules @rhn just mentioned (limit to a medium-sized buffer) because I have a dislike of large numbers, but I'm pretty sure that's not something average people care about. That said, I'm kind of torn on whether this is an acceptable slide on the slippery slope of turning the highest-end survival utilities into creative mode. Surely, at one point, it's a lot more efficient to start using creative tanks and such? Saves on the CPU, at least.

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's a bit unnecessarily cynical. My storage systems tend to work under the same rules @rhn just mentioned (limit to a medium-sized buffer) because I have a dislike of large numbers, but I'm pretty sure that's not something average people care about. That said, I'm kind of torn on whether this is an acceptable slide on the slippery slope of turning the highest-end survival utilities into creative mode. Surely, at one point, it's a lot more efficient to start using creative tanks and such? Saves on the CPU, at least.
The only problem with creative tanks you cannot put liquid back into them they're lost forever, however the reason I wanna larger tank is because I have a mom farm that produces on average about 1600 buckets of mob essence. From there I use it power things such as auto enchanters and auto brewers. however having a large tank allows me to build out a large buffer as I modify my builds

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem with creative tanks you cannot put liquid back into them they're lost forever[...]
Er...? And this matters why, exactly, when you can pull infinite amounts of the same liquid back out?

What I'm saying is that, from what I've seen, folks tend to build themselves setups that result in effectively-infinite quantities of some fluids -- and those setups, with all the blocks in them that have to think (i.e. tile entities) could just be replaced with a single creative tank also supplying effectively-infinite quantities of the same fluid.

Your 1,600 bucket buffer sounds perfectly reasonable and needn't apply here.

Edit: ...also, this conversation just gave me a mod idea.

Last edited:

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
The only problem with creative tanks you cannot put liquid back into them they're lost forever, however the reason I wanna larger tank is because I have a mom farm that produces on average about 1600 buckets of mob essence. From there I use it power things such as auto enchanters and auto brewers. however having a large tank allows me to build out a large buffer as I modify my builds
Oh gawd a mom farm?!?!?!?!?! I don't have one of those...
How do you make one?