Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
So this is probably a really dumb question, but...

Will my FPS improve if I just disable a bunch of mods that I don't/will never use? Even if the mods don't have any entites or blocks placed in the world?
Potentially, because there's less information for your game to sort through to get to the mods you do use
Not entirely certain of the effect on your FPS, but it will definitely cause your game to launch faster

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
Are Ars Magica Mana Batteries broken? I can't get any of them to connect to a nexus or any devices. They also don't hold their charge when I break them either.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
So this is probably a really dumb question, but...

Will my FPS improve if I just disable a bunch of mods that I don't/will never use? Even if the mods don't have any entites or blocks placed in the world?
Depends on the mod. Thaumcraft? Probably, because of nodes and taint spread. Railcraft? Yes, because of player tracking. AE? Yes, because of Certus Quartz rendering (but only if you disable it BEFORE worldgen).

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a redstone signal going to 'em?
I see what the problem is. Batteries that are connected once never disconnect unless you pick them up. The battery was still connected to another battery that had since been moved, and thus was refusing all other connections.

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the mod. Thaumcraft? Probably, because of nodes and taint spread. Railcraft? Yes, because of player tracking. AE? Yes, because of Certus Quartz rendering (but only if you disable it BEFORE worldgen).

RC tracks players? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
I see what the problem is. Batteries that are connected once never disconnect unless you pick them up. The battery was still connected to another battery that had since been moved, and thus was refusing all other connections.

Yeah, the AM2 connection system is wonky (putting it nicely) and there's no graceful way to see existing connections.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Question:
Asked this before, but never got an answer. So far in 1.4.7 DW20, Unleashed and Monster(probably more but I am certain of these) I have started to hear chicken sounds in my base after building it up to a certain extend. The chicken sounds seems fixed to certain locations but when standing in those locations the directions of the sounds seems completely random. I have made absolutely sure by several means that there are no chickens nearby(for example Zans's minimap radar) but yet the sounds are there. It is not very frequent, every 30 secs - 2 minutes or so.

Anyone have any idea what can be causing it?

Recently just started hearing them in this location:
NOn2D8k.png
Try putting on some Sonic Goggles from OpenBlocks- they let you see sound, and can show you exactly where sounds are coming from. My guess is that either someone on your server has pranked you by hiding chickens in your walls (much as people have done with cicadas), or your were MFR Autospawnering chickens, and some of them landed in the ductwork near your autospawner housing cables and such.

So I built my floor out of colored stone bricks from Extra Utilties. I log in today and they look like this:

Does anyone know what can change their color like this or how I can fix it? They're all in the same biome and breaking/replacing them doesn't help.
Those colored blocks (bricks and wood planks) can be re-colored by clicking them in-world with any dye. This will change the color of all the bricks with the same nominal color in the whole chunk- there's no doubt that this is what happened in your case.

Shift-right-click with the ExtraUtils Paintbrush on one of the bricks that is the color you want, then right-click without sneaking with the same tool on one of the mis-colored bricks. This should fix your problem.

Reactions: Deftscythe

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Those colored blocks (bricks and wood planks) can be re-colored by clicking them in-world with any dye. This will change the color of all the bricks with the same nominal color in the whole chunk- there's no doubt that this is what happened in your case.

Shift-right-click with the ExtraUtils Paintbrush on one of the bricks that is the color you want, then right-click without sneaking with the same tool on one of the mis-colored bricks. This should fix your problem.

Oh god, thank you. This fixed it. I had no idea it was a chunk-wide change that is such a weird mechanic. Still don't know how it happened in the first place though.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Oh god, thank you. This fixed it. I had no idea it was a chunk-wide change that is such a weird mechanic. Still don't know how it happened in the first place though.
It works on a chunk-by-chunk basis because the other way of having customizable colors- making all the blocks tile entities, so they can store their own colors- was laggy ("Imagine building a house out of furnaces..."). You still get sixteen different colors in each chunk this way, which is more than enough for most people.

As for how it happened, I bet you or somebody else mis-clicked with a bonemeal or something.

1ryman1

Jul 29, 2019
I saw on SSundee's Blood N Bones series that he does not have the mod that disables eating too many of one food. Is it possible for me to do the same thing?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I saw on SSundee's Blood N Bones series that he does not have the mod that disables eating too many of one food. Is it possible for me to do the same thing?
Disable the mod "Spice Of Life". You could instead edit the config to make it less punishing to better suit your playstyle.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Jesus that is OP! Please tell me the bullet costs more than 1 gravel...
Uh... Not sure it even cost a full gravel block per shot. I also know that that sort of damage takes a well charged Bedrock Spring, so it's not as OP as it sounds at first.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Try putting on some Sonic Goggles from OpenBlocks- they let you see sound, and can show you exactly where sounds are coming from. My guess is that either someone on your server has pranked you by hiding chickens in your walls (much as people have done with cicadas), or your were MFR Autospawnering chickens, and some of them landed in the ductwork near your autospawner housing cables and such.
I'll try those goggles out. But as I already said in the post there are NO chickens anywhere. This has happened in several versions over several years and on both singleplayer and on servers. This recent one is on singleplayer and my base I floating 100 block above ground with no chickens in sight(I haven't spawned any up here nor are there any to be found using the Zan's minimap mob radar).. It is something other than chickens that is causing this sound.

EDIT: Sonic Glasses does not display the source of it. But that also fits with that the sound doesn't seem to come from any specific direction. It is almost like some combination of items/mods that I always end up using causes the sound to be played like a atmospheric sound(like the cave sounds etc).

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try those goggles out. But as I already said in the post there are NO chickens anywhere. This has happened in several versions over several years and on both singleplayer and on servers. This recent one is on singleplayer and my base I floating 100 block above ground with no chickens in sight(I haven't spawned any up here nor are there any to be found using the Zan's minimap mob radar).. It is something other than chickens that is causing this sound.

EDIT: Sonic Glasses does not display the source of it. But that also fits with that the sound doesn't seem to come from any specific direction. It is almost like some combination of items/mods that I always end up using causes the sound to be played like a atmospheric sound(like the cave sounds etc).
If it's not a entity, but sounds like chickens, it may be a chicken trophy with a redstone clock of some kind.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If it's not a entity, but sounds like chickens, it may be a chicken trophy with a redstone clock of some kind.
Again, it has happened it many worlds over several years in several different versions of different modpacks/MC. Mostly in singleplayer. There is no Chicken trophies anywhere, it is just something that randomly happens in some locations once I build up my bases. In the present situation there are no mobs, hostile or neutral, anywhere in 100 blocks radius in all directions. The only thing capable of making sounds that I am aware of is myself and TiCo Drawbridges and neither of those sound like chickens. I can over time find a location that the volume of the sound is the highest, but the direction of the sound will still seem to be random and there is nothing notable in that location.