Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
I have a radioactive bee, and was wondering what would be the best setup to farm uranium ore. I tested many (75) radioactive bee in 75 apiaries, connected to gates to make it automatic (no frames)... a radioactive bee in an alveary with 12 frame housings, with each housing containing a resilient frame [ok whisp farm, fastest production thus far]... and two alvearies, each with one frame housing,which contains a coco frame.

I am using the Mindcrack Pack. I don't want to use too many frames, but I want a decent amount of radioactive hives. A stack or so per hour/3 hours would be fine I guess. I am aware of the 50% chance of uranium ore per hive

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You shouldn't really need more than about 6 frame housings on an Alveary. If you have dartcraft (never played Mindcrack, so unsure on this), you can make force wood and thus proven frames.

If you have Applied Energistics, import and fuzzy export buses are a much simpler way of emptying and refilling your hives after each generation. I found BC pipes (and even apiarist pipes) would occasionally lose princesses. It's a chunk boundary thing IIRC.

Lastly, breed aura bees, extract the fastest productivity serum from them (assuming you have whichever mod has the advanced bee machines) and inject it into your radioactives. It increases your chance of getting a uranium drop each tick considerably.

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have any of that in the Mindcrack Pack. With 12 frames, it gives me about a stack of radioactive combs per 30 minutes. (About 20 in the first 9 minutes). I am willing to make the 12, since they aren't hard to make...but is there a limit to how effective frames can be? Due to this, do I only need to make 6, and anymore than that wouldn't make a difference? As for the aura bee, I will check it, try to isolate the fastest speed gene, and compare how long it takes to get a stack.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I don't have any of that in the Mindcrack Pack. With 12 frames, it gives me about a stack of radioactive combs per 30 minutes. (About 20 in the first 9 minutes). I am willing to make the 12, since they aren't hard to make...but is there a limit to how effective frames can be? Due to this, do I only need to make 6, and anymore than that wouldn't make a difference? As for the aura bee, I will check it, try to isolate the fastest speed gene, and compare how long it takes to get a stack.
Yes there is diminishing returns on number of frames added. After 6 frames the benefit starts dropping dramatically.
Tbh you are much better off just have several Alvearies with 3ish impregnated frames in them.

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, but why is two alvearies, each with 3 impregnated frames better than one alverary with six (or 5) resilient frames?

I've read something about genetic damage, but it doesn't seem to be occurring, and production rate stays the same. Also, fast speed doesn't seem to change production at all with or without frames. With the frames, the time it takes to make one stack of radioactive combs is still seconds from 30 minutes flat.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok, but why is two alvearies, each with 3 impregnated frames better than one alverary with six (or 5) resilient frames?

I've read something about genetic damage, but it doesn't seem to be occurring, and production rate stays the same. Also, fast speed doesn't seem to change production at all with or without frames. With the frames, the time it takes to make one stack of radioactive combs is still seconds from 30 minutes flat.
Well for me it is more about the fact that making several Alveraries is a one time expense and I could just make enough of them to let them run without frames or use ME to give them frames whenever stocks drop too low.

The "genetic damage" you have heard about is from using mutation multipliers during crossbreeding that exceeds x10 mutation rate bonus. If you go over the x10 you end up having a chance for your princess to become Ignoble and therefore become useless. Best bet is just to use one Mutator block with uranium(Precisely x10) and no soul frames etc.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Try making it taller then.
Ultimately it was definitely a block-placement error. I misread the manual and placed the controller block at the bottom-center of the multiblock, but it really doesn't want to be on the bottom layer I guess. (Manual says "in the middle of any layer you desire.")
Top and bottom layers don't work, fwiw. Thanks for your input Wagon153.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
iirc forestry frames stop boosting production rates at 1000% (4 frames will more than cap it). Frames from Thaumic Bees (Mindcrack is a 1.4 pack, so not Magic Bees yet) require vis to operate. With that many running, I wouldn't be surprised if you depleted your aura pretty severely and that cut into your productivity.

Genetic damage from overstimulated production (production chance >1600% or mutation chance >1000%) was introduced in 1.5 I think, so it shouldn't be a concern in Mindcrack. The production caps on forestry frames are still there (pretty sure - most documentation has long since been updated, so I'm running off memory at this point).

You only have a chance of producing 1 standard produce and 1 specialty produce every bee tick (every 27.5 secs). Taking the Radioactive Bee as an example: its standard produce is a barren comb (20%) and its specialty is a radioactive comb (2%). The production speed and frames then apply a percentage modifier on to that chance. For speed that ranges from 30% (slowest) to 200% (blinding, which is not available in Mindcrack). Fast speed is a 120% modifier, so you now have a 2.4% chance of producing a radioactive comb. An alveary gives you 100% of this (i.e. maintains a 2.4% chance), but an apiary will apply a 10% modifier to your production chances (brings that number down to 0.24%). Each production-enhancing frame applies a 200% modifier. 1 frame boosts that 2.4% to 4.8%, the next boosts that to 9.6%, the third hits 19.2%. The effect of the fourth frame depends on if you're using forestry frames or not. If you are, then the production boost hits its cap at 10x the non-framed production - in this case 24%. If not, you continue doubling to 38.4%. For those using packs from 1.5 or later, this is the cutoff for where bees start turning ignoble. If you keep going, your 5th frame will give you 76.8%, and your 6th will have you well over 100% to guarantee you a specialty drop every 27.5 secs. There is absolutely no reason to go beyond 6 frames, even for super low chance specialties (a 1% chance like from the diamond bee would still get over 100% with fastest production speed).

If you want 1 stack of Uranium every hour that means you need 2 stacks of Radioactive Combs/hr. There are ~131 bee ticks every hour, so you would essentially need a 100% chance (6 frames in an alveary) of producing a specialty every bee tick to reach this level of production off a single bee. 3-4 bees (depending on forestry/non-forestry frame selection) in alvearies running with 4 frames each would satisfy this production rate for people in 1.5+ packs.

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
I plan to use two alveraries anyways, due to the 50% change of uranium ore per comb. As for mutation, I already have a pair of radioactive bees due to the mutator + wither boss farm I have, making a 100% chance mutation rate. I don't have room for something like 64 alveraries, so I'm fine with making 6 resilient frames for each of the two alveraries. Resilient frames last for the longest time and still give +200% production at the cost of vis.

One thing I didn't think of is the low vis. Whips from the increasing flux isn't a problem since the radioactive bees will kill them if the area is sealed off.

Edit: thank for the info, you posted right before this.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I plan to use two alveraries anyways, due to the 50% change of uranium ore per comb. As for mutation, I already have a pair of radioactive bees due to the mutator + wither boss farm I have, making a 100% chance mutation rate. I don't have room for something like 64 alveraries, so I'm fine with making 6 resilient frames for each of the two alveraries. Resilient frames last for the longest time and still give +200% production at the cost of vis.

One thing I didn't think of is the low vis. Whips from the increasing flux isn't a problem since the radioactive bees will kill them if the area is sealed off.
Crystal Clusters will fix the vis problem. I don't really know what the vis usage of the frames is, but I bet if you had 1 Crystal Cluster for each frame, that would be sufficient.

EDIT: I accounted or the 50% chance of uranium/comb in my calculations. No need for an additional one.

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
Crystal Clusters will fix the vis problem. I don't really know what the vis usage of the frames is, but I bet if you had 1 Crystal Cluster for each frame, that would be sufficient.

Thanks Neirin, and everyone else, for the info.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
2 questions: Whats your guyses thought process when building a base? And once you get your base built what if you need more room but the surrounding rooms won't allow it?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
2 questions: Whats your guyses thought process when building a base? And once you get your base built what if you need more room but the surrounding rooms won't allow it?
To the second question: Hammer!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I like building single-purpose buildings rather than single-purpose rooms/floors. Allows for really easy expansion.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
some of my keys, instead of doing nomal things, do these letters. Èè¨^Çç i need to fix this, it is interfering with my computercrafting!

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
some of my keys, instead of doing nomal things, do these letters. Èè¨^Çç i need to fix this, it is interfering with my computercrafting!
You need to go to the Windows keyboard settings and switch your keyboard to US English.

Happens to me all the time whenever Windows figures out I'm Canadian.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Paulbunion

Jul 29, 2019
Playing in DW20 1.6.4 v1.0.23. Looking for BoP gems, but not finding any. Specifically I'm trying to make the Ancient Staff to take me to the Promised Land without cheating in the gems. The question is do they exist in world gen from the beginning of the series or do I have to make a mystcraft age to find them?