Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard plenty of people say about FTB Ultimate that "It got boring once I could make an Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel with two clicks".

After playing it for a while myself, I find myself asking: How the hell did they even get to one? With GregTech, the recipe calls for 16 Iridium Plates just for the Sunnarium plates alone. That's a full stack of Iridium Ore, or seven stacks of UU-matter. With GregTech's Matter Fabricator, that equals seven and a half trillion EU. More than two hundred hours of HV power. Where the heck do people get all this EU from? Or obtain Iridium otherwise? Centrifuging Platinum Dust still doesn't get you very far, as Platinum Dust is kind of rare in itself. Guidance would be appreciated. I've quarried a hole big enough that standing on either side will cause the other side to be unloaded from memory, and still I have barely got enough resources to assemble a handful or Iridium Plates.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard plenty of people say about FTB Ultimate that "It got boring once I could make an Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel with two clicks".

After playing it for a while myself, I find myself asking: How the hell did they even get to one? With GregTech, the recipe calls for 16 Iridium Plates just for the Sunnarium plates alone. That's a full stack of Iridium Ore, or seven stacks of UU-matter. With GregTech's Matter Fabricator, that equals seven and a half trillion EU. More than two hundred hours of HV power. Where the heck do people get all this EU from? Or obtain Iridium otherwise? Centrifuging Platinum Dust still doesn't get you very far, as Platinum Dust is kind of rare in itself. Guidance would be appreciated. I've quarried a hole big enough that standing on either side will cause the other side to be unloaded from memory, and still I have barely got enough resources to assemble a handful or Iridium Plates.
I suspect most people did it by playing on a server with a chunkloader in their base. 200 hrs is quite a bit of playtime, but it's only about 8 days real-time. Then your second solar only takes 4 days. Once you cap out the EU consumption of your first matterfab, it only takes ~12 hrs to produce an ultimate hybrid. That means when you log on each day, you probably log on to 1-2 more solars.

In ssp I got my UU with 5 nuclear reactors providing 512EU/t each. At that speed it would only take ~40hrs (note: I actually avoided using solar power, so never actually made one), but frankly I got more than half of my iridium from platinum/sheldonite. Bees are also awesome.

Also, since I'm pretty sure Greg balanced the matterfab around smp, I wouldn't see any problem with reducing the amount of EU it takes per UU in the configs

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've allowed myself to spawn in an ordinary Mass Fab once I've made enough to create an Ultimate Hybrid. That was before I realized how absolutely mind-bogglingly resource-consuming it would be, though. Maybe I'll settle for changing the configs instead.

Thanks for the answer, anyway! I feel less bad about my planned Mass Fab "cheating" now. Seems like having a ton of HV solars already is the only way to produce the UU-matter required for making HV solars. Or, well, Ultimate Solars. HV Solars from Compact Solars were annoying back in the Tekkit Lite days, but man do they seem a lot simpler to obtain now. I mean, all you need is tons of ordinary resources.

EDIT: Follow-up-question: How do I edit configs? Are there any definite do's and don't's I should take into consideration? Do I need any external tools? I've never even looked at the config files before, so I'm totally blank on the subject.

Last edited:

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Which is the mod in Monster that tell you in the bottom left corner how many uses a tool or weapon has left?

Doesn't seem to be around in DW20, and I want to add it there. I find it pretty darn handy!

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've allowed myself to spawn in an ordinary Mass Fab once I've made enough to create an Ultimate Hybrid. That was before I realized how absolutely mind-bogglingly resource-consuming it would be, though. Maybe I'll settle for changing the configs instead.

Thanks for the answer, anyway! I feel less bad about my planned Mass Fab "cheating" now. Seems like having a ton of HV solars already is the only way to produce the UU-matter required for making HV solars. Or, well, Ultimate Solars. HV Solars from Compact Solars were annoying back in the Tekkit Lite days, but man do they seem a lot simpler to obtain now. I mean, all you need is tons of ordinary resources.

EDIT: Follow-up-question: How do I edit configs? Are there any definite do's and don't's I should take into consideration? Do I need any external tools? I've never even looked at the config files before, so I'm totally blank on the subject.
You can just open config files in notepad or similar text utilities. Most configs have basic instructions about what each option does and how to change it. The only serious damage you can really cause is some sort of itemID change that causes stuff to disappear, so stay clear of that section of the configs in a pre-made modpack like FTB. Also, don't turn on debug mode. Other than that, you should be mostly safe. As always, though, backup before making changes just in case.

Just a note: iirc, if you re-enable the mass fabricator in the GT config, the matter fabricator's EU requirement will automatically be set to the same as the mass fab. You can still have the extra resource requirement of the matter fab without the extra energy requirements.

Reactions: Kyll.Ing.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
World directory usually if you want to just backup your world.

Your whole modpack folder (Monster, Ultimate, Unleashed etc..) if you want to save a complete snapshot of your whole installation.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I can test this simply enough but I'm at work for the next 8 hours and (obviously...) thinking about Minecraft so....

Do Forestry farms work in snowy biomes, without roofing the entire thing?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Best TiC sword in general? Talking about decent damage for PvE. Rapier not an option since that's mostly for PVP. Mostly considering Broadsword vs Longsword. Thoughts please!

MrDarkanLTU

Jul 29, 2019
Am i the only one who cant login to the FTB?? it says that the username or password is incorrect.. i changed but still the same shit..

starskita

Jul 29, 2019
I have a bunch of buildcraft fuel that I'm trying to convert to jet fuel in the rotarycraft fuel enhancer. It has the correct power, and I have netherrack dust, tar sand, blaze powder, and magma cream in there. It says the input tanks are full and there is nothing in the output tanks. Any ideas how to fix?

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Best TiC sword in general? Talking about decent damage for PvE. Rapier not an option since that's mostly for PVP. Mostly considering Broadsword vs Longsword. Thoughts please!

Not using TiCo on my current playthrough so not sure which does it but I prefer which ever one gives you the leap (right mouse button). Great for closing in on skeletons.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
Not using TiCo on my current playthrough so not sure which does it but I prefer which ever one gives you the leap (right mouse button). Great for closing in on skeletons.
Rapier is my favourite, and I PvE exclusively. It's very fast, and kills everything within 2 shots, even at the bottom level of a Rogue Dungeon where the mobs are heavily armoured.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I think rapier is a lot of fun, honestly. Even if I don't really like the knockback. The guy I was replying to said he specifically didn't want to use the rapier.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Rapier is very good against mobs too because it attacks as fast as you can click it. Also, several mods add armoured mobs that the rapier can bypass. I prefer it over other swords for both PvE and PvP.

But, if you must choose between the Broad and Long, I prefer the Broad. The blocking is great against hard hitting mobs and creeper detonations.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there still energy loss in long distances for IC2 cables. Also where can I find documentation about them. wiki's seem confused
Ehm depends a bit on which version you are using I think. If we are talking 1.6 IC2experimental then energy loss MIGHT be disabled along with the explosions etc. Not tested it out yet myself, but I have chosen to play as if it was all still in place.

Best source of info on the IC2 experimental stuff seems to me to be the:
http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Recipes_and_Resources

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Am i the only one who cant login to the FTB?? it says that the username or password is incorrect.. i changed but still the same shit..

Are you using your FtB FORUM ID/password or the one you actually registered Minecraft with? You should use the MC ID/password.

FtB authenticates using the Minecraft launcher, so if it doesn't recognize you FtB won't either.