Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason to use Extra Utilities spikes in a mob trap vs just quicksand? Im just making a simple darkroom as I cant afford MFR grinders yet. I have quicksand to kill the mobs, then conveyors to move the drops to a hopper. Would Spikes net me anything more than normal drops?

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason to use Extra Utilities spikes in a mob trap vs just quicksand? Im just making a simple darkroom as I cant afford MFR grinders yet. I have quicksand to kill the mobs, then conveyors to move the drops to a hopper. Would Spikes net me anything more than normal drops?
Nope but fun to watch them stab themselves

sent from hand held insanity

Reactions: zorn

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Spikes can get "Rare" drops, such as skulls or bows
Quicksand can't

Reactions: zorn

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Another question about firestones, can you use them in a Liquid Firebox? Or are they only usable in Solid Fuel?

If it's Solid Fuel only, what are people's suggestions for fuel for them? I'm planning on running three HP full size boilers, I have wood coming out of my ears so I could go down the charcoal path, but I need a decent way to produce it. I'll run this as separate power grid to run a Laser Drill etc, so I can use my existing power grid (Fuel based Dynamos) to produce the charcoal if necessary.

Yes, they are solid fuel only.

Charcoal is the go-to solid fuel because it's easily produced. The most efficient methods include Railcraft's steam oven (built directly against the boiler, it will draw steam from it and the boiler will draw charcoal from it) and IC2's induction furnace. The former consumes the least energy, the latter is your fastest option. Both are faster and more energy-efficient than pretty much everything else.

If you wanted to maximize your fuel value, you could also go with planks. A TE sawmill transforms one log into six planks and 1/8th of a charcoal, for a total fuel value of 6x300 + 1600/8 = 2000, whereas smelting the log directly into charcoal would only give you 1600. The sawmill(s) take only small amounts of power and can be powered by a steam dynamo attached directly to the boiler. To make use of the sawdust -> charcoal byproduct, you'll also need an autocrafting table (or cyclic assembler) and a furnace in there somewhere.

Animeking65

Jul 29, 2019
is there any way to add sand into the world's cave generation like walking into cave and find a small patch of sand next to gravel

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Hi boys and girls,

Hopefully a very quick and easy question:

How can I show all available bees in NEI? My NEI is currently defaulting to only the hive bees, however, I have the bees addon that allows me to click on a bee in my inventory and see its products, heritage and potential mutations. My problem is that I can't currently search a specifc bee (Or if I can, I am too stupid to realise it).

Any help is appreciated.

Infallible

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
One thing I've been wondering for awhile now: How exactly do you get a Wand Focus: Pech's Curse?
I've tried trading with them, I've tried killing them, but I just can't seem to get one.
I got an iron wand with a Pech's Curse cap as a drop from a pech in my cursed earth mob farm.[DOUBLEPOST=1392201118][/DOUBLEPOST]
I haven't had much luck with building custom mystcraft ages. I would like to build a single biome permanent day world. The guides that I've read indicate that it should be <biome> Single Biome in that order, which is fine, but for the sun, I put in Zenith, Normal Sun (or the other way around) and I still get a normal day/night cycle.
You need Zero Length as well, as has already been said. Also, you are not guaranteed an eternal day even with that, as Mystcraft will add in random stuff. the more stuff you leave undefined (e.g. fog colour), the more stuff Mystcraft will add in randomly, so you might get a Full Length modifier inserted next to your Zero Length, which will make the sun move. So the more stuff you specify (even if you don't care about it), the less random stuf you get to mess up the stuff you do care about.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Question:
Are there any particular spawning conditions for wisps in Thaumcraft 4?

I have only ever found information on them in reference to Thaumcraft 3 whenever I search

Other than Biome I'm not sure there are any other conditions. I know I had lots of them near my house in a magical forest biome and I hadn't even started with TC4 yet. I've also seen a lot of them in the nether. Normal vanilla biomes don't seem to have them.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
2 questions.

What should I do with the 6 refined full firestones that I have? I was going to build a full size HP boiler, but I'm thinking that I should probably build more than one to solve any possible power needs that I have.

Secondly, I haven't had much luck with building custom mystcraft ages. I would like to build a single biome permanent day world. The guides that I've read indicate that it should be <biome> Single Biome in that order, which is fine, but for the sun, I put in Zenith, Normal Sun (or the other way around) and I still get a normal day/night cycle.
You could use them in the steam dynamos and just have them run for a really long time

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
is there any way to add sand into the world's cave generation like walking into cave and find a small patch of sand next to gravel
The Deadly World mod (by Father Toast) adds configs for adding sand veins. It also adds a whole lot of other things that you may or may not want, so look closely over the configs if you decide to go this route.

Hi boys and girls,

Hopefully a very quick and easy question:

How can I show all available bees in NEI? My NEI is currently defaulting to only the hive bees, however, I have the bees addon that allows me to click on a bee in my inventory and see its products, heritage and potential mutations. My problem is that I can't currently search a specifc bee (Or if I can, I am too stupid to realise it).

Any help is appreciated.

Infallible
NEI Addons (a separate mod to NEI) has a config to show all bee types, among other Forestry related configs.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
So I saw on the FTB subreddit people talking about using optifine. Is it working with FTB now or are they just crazy?
It's Reddit. You can assume they're crazy by default.

And I know it's possible to get it running with Forge-modded 1.6.4, but that you'll encounter rendering issues with many mods. Just don't ask me how since I tend to avoid Optifine at all costs.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
got a question about wiki's

I am trying to figure out which tree is best for bio-fuel production. And because fruit juice is a catalyst I'm trying to figure out the best tree to breed.

So far I have found some information.

This page list the amount of juice a fruit produces: http://ftbwiki.org/Fruit_Juice
But I can not find anything on the trees in that wiki I can find information in this page of another wiki: http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Fruits

I want have the fruit yield of the tree and amount of juice per fruit pre species in one page. (unless someone already has this information)
How can I do this without offending the wiki gods?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

I am trying to figure out which tree is best for bio-fuel production. And because fruit juice is a catalyst I'm trying to figure out the best tree to breed.

This page list the amount of juice a fruit produces: http://ftbwiki.org/Fruit_Juice
But I can not find anything on the trees in that wiki I can find information in this page of another wiki: http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Fruits

I want have the fruit yield of the tree and amount of juice per fruit pre species in one page. (unless someone already has this information)

I think SirSengir's Forestry website covers this. It has info like vanilla (base) saplings having a sappiness of 1 and Mahoe of 6, with everything else in between.

If you don't mind being a litle cheaty, you can use NEI to help out. Look up a Mahoe sapling, then find out what it takes to breed it. Put your mouse over the Mahoe sapling, then press the 'Shift' key. It will show you the important traits, like Sappiness : High. Then, work backwards through the breeding of Mahoe. I believe there is at least one other highly desirable trait like Saplings : High from another tree in the Mahoe path (Balsa ? Acacia ? I forget which).

As for Height : Large and Growth : Fast, I recommend Jungle saplings. It's not that difficult to breed saplings so you have the following between 3 or 4 different species:

Sappiness : High
Saplings : High
Growth : Fast
Height : Large

For your fruit juice, you will (also) want:

Maturity : Fast (from Plum saplings)
Fruit : Lemon (from Lemon saplings)

And, stick with 1x1 girth. The 2x2 and larger girths are less efficient, sapling and fruit-wise.

There are also better traits available from other saplings, but they are much more difficult. Getting Height : Largest from a Sequoia was kind of a pain.

The trick is then cross-breeding so you have *all* of those traits in a single sapling. See my signature for @Omicron 's advice on this that I followed. I now have a good 40x (seriously) the Ethanol production compared to vanilla in the same farmland (square meters).

Last edited:

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL

You can also find the Fruit Yield for each tree listed at the same wiki. You can also look up Sappiness, Sapling Yield, etc...

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a better reference (especially as it includes trees from Binnie's mod).