Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
How does enchantments for wand foci work?
Treasure seems to be like looting, and so me getting it on my excavation focus was completely wasteful - it does not seem to be working like fortune.
Unbreaking just seems completely useless, yet you can get it?
Frugal seems to lower the vis costs, but what does this affect? Only the wand focus spell or anything cast while using the wand? For example, my frugal 3 cap shows vis costs as 66% (that is, combined with my clothes) - would that lower the cost of jaring nodes to 46.2, allowing two jarings per fully charged wand? That seems very useful. If not, it seems very crappy.
Potency affects damage, as far as I've understood, as well as working as Efficiency on the excavator. Anything else? Range, area or anything?

Thanks a lot for any aid! :D

Basically for combat wands you want Frugal and Potency. Frugal will use less vis out of the wand so you don't need to recharge it as often. Potency increases the damage done by the wand. Which has the net effect of using less vis since you don't have to use it as long to kill the mob.
For the other wands you always want frugal to reduce the vis cost. Potency on the excavator and wand of equal trade does act like fortune. My personal favorite is to use the wand of equal trade in the nether to get ardite, cobalt, glowstone, sunstone, etc.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019

How do I remove liquids like sludge and mob essence from MFR machines without using Buildcraft pipes? I'm using a modpack I threw together without Buildcraft, and so far that's the only major problem I've having.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Believe MFR should have all the things in it that you need to use to take advantage of it's liquids. I know the conveyor belts work for items, as the MFR machines will spit out items on to them to move around. It prob has something to move liquids with as well.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

How do I remove liquids like sludge and mob essence from MFR machines without using Buildcraft pipes? I'm using a modpack I threw together without Buildcraft, and so far that's the only major problem I've having.

If you included thermal expansion you would have access to the fluid ducts. It might be a good idea to list the mods you included with your custom pack.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
If you included thermal expansion you would have access to the fluid ducts. It might be a good idea to list the mods you included with your custom pack.
Good point; basically this is an MJ-free tech modpack. In addition to MFR (and mods I know have no liquid-related items, like Iron Chests) I have IC2 and several addons (but not Gregtech), Redpower (and Tubestuff), Computercraft (and MiscPeripherals), and Railcraft (with several modules disabled). No TE liquiducts, no Buildcraft pipes, no Forestry cans or capsules, and little to no understanding of the fluid pipes I do have (apparently Redpower isn't compatible with MFR liquids). Basically, I have buckets and cells. I was hoping that right-clicking with a bucket would drain some of the liquid so I could set up a system with RP2 deployers, but no dice.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Good point; basically this is an MJ-free tech modpack. In addition to MFR (and mods I know have no liquid-related items, like Iron Chests) I have IC2 and several addons (but not Gregtech), Redpower (and Tubestuff), Computercraft (and MiscPeripherals), and Railcraft (with several modules disabled). No TE liquiducts, no Buildcraft pipes, no Forestry cans or capsules, and little to no understanding of the fluid pipes I do have (apparently Redpower isn't compatible with MFR liquids). Basically, I have buckets and cells. I was hoping that right-clicking with a bucket would drain some of the liquid so I could set up a system with RP2 deployers, but no dice.

Ic2 canning machine and cells? Although you have to get the liquid into the canning machine.

only thing I can think of is trying to place the MFR machine right next to a valve on a railcraft tank. Or putting the canning machine next to it, the MFR machines dont require active pipes to pull the liquid out, so possibly just placing the canning machine next to it would work.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Guy on my server said he only found them in the nether, not in lava in the overworld. Once he went to the nether he got what he needed.

I don't know how rare they are but I found one in an overworld lava pool. Granted, it's the only one I've ever found.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 canning machine and cells? Although you have to get the liquid into the canning machine.

only thing I can think of is trying to place the MFR machine right next to a valve on a railcraft tank. Or putting the canning machine next to it, the MFR machines dont require active pipes to pull the liquid out, so possibly just placing the canning machine next to it would work.

Just checked the cells I have in NEI, and unfortunately no MFR liquids there either. And although I don't have Buildcraft tanks, I do have the Railcraft tank cart. So I'll see what I can do with liquid loaders and that.

EDIT: Liquid Loaders work! Excellent!

Last edited:
Reactions: zorn

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Do you find them around the edge? Or do you have to gravel a large area and excavate it? I'm not sure what pumping options I have in Magic Farm 2 (I added AM2 myself) as there is no BuildCraft, and the Ender-Thermic Pump would require me to excavate anyway. Also, do you know if AM2 retro-gen works in the nether?

milk can help you too. but the result is a lot harder to mine than gravel.

Thing230

Jul 29, 2019
New question, with the new FTB Monster Mod Pack, the Mass Fabricator is harder to power with the absence of the Ultimate Hybrid. I am wondering if anyone has found an efficient way of powering one yet?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
New question, with the new FTB Monster Mod Pack, the Mass Fabricator is harder to power with the absence of the Ultimate Hybrid. I am wondering if anyone has found an efficient way of powering one yet?
Last time I played around with the mass fab and friends I used nuclear reactors. The resource cost has changed a bit but they are for the most part cheaper than before although the heat sinks are a bit of a bother to make now. The basic reactor designs have not changed but there are some new builds that take full advantage of the new MOX fuel on the IC2 forums.

Thing230

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I played around with the mass fab and friends I used nuclear reactors. The resource cost has changed a bit but they are for the most part cheaper than before although the heat sinks are a bit of a bother to make now. The basic reactor designs have not changed but there are some new builds that take full advantage of the new MOX fuel on the IC2 forums.
Alright thanks, if i wanted to stay away from Nuclear... just a ton of solar arrays?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Alright thanks, if i wanted to stay away from Nuclear... just a ton of solar arrays?
Compact solars are probably going to be your best bet if you really want to stay away from atomic power. Either that or spam geothermals or regular generators. The e-net has been improved a bit so having mass numbers of generators is not as bad on the system as before. Also remember that IC2 energy is now additive so 2 generators in a line produce 20 EU/t instead of 2 packets of 10 EU/t. Also note that stuff is not currently blowing up, so if you go a bit over the 512 that unaltered mass fab+co want they shouldn't level your base.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Biggest mistake I think people make with MFs is to make huge power systems for them, but never supply them with scrap. You really dont need that much power if you are continuously supplying it with scrap to be honest. Build a proper automated recycling setup and let your quarries run.
Set up some geothermals(making 26 geothermals is pretty cheap and the setup for it is really easy to do midgame = 512Eu/t). Build compact solars/windmills as you can afford them and have it as a goal to slowly upgrade them.

chronic_kief

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to make one massive MFR treefarm and have it plant multiple types of trees on the same farm. I know how to user the config in the planter to achieve this, but I always seem to run into an issue where overtime the inventory of the planter gets overtaken by one type of sapling.

I know this would be easy to achieve with the old xycraft manager, but seeing as there isn't a xycraft, is there any way to achieve the same function? (Having 1 stack each of say, 6 different types of saplings kept in stock at all times.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So I'm trying to make one massive MFR treefarm and have it plant multiple types of trees on the same farm. I know how to user the config in the planter to achieve this, but I always seem to run into an issue where overtime the inventory of the planter gets overtaken by one type of sapling.

I know this would be easy to achieve with the old xycraft manager, but seeing as there isn't a xycraft, is there any way to achieve the same function? (Having 1 stack each of say, 6 different types of saplings kept in stock at all times.)
If you have factorization you could try routers. A router can be set to insert into a specific inventory slot(by a designated number). You just have to experiment a little something to figure out which slot is which number. But this would require having a router for each type of saplings.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019

Translocators? you can use it to keep the planter stocked with a specific number of sapplings and feed it from a ME interface set with sapplings.

Vinom_Trifang

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4 Questions:

What happens if I feed a bottled node to a hungry node?

What if I just deploy the node inside the kill range of the hungry node?

Last edited:

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
2 questions:

It seems Apatite ore is generating differently in 1.6 than in 1.4 and 1.5. You used to find huge veins of it, now I find 2 or 3 ores at a time. The config says this:

<UNIFORM> Generation settings for OreApatitef; Defaults: ClusterSize = 6, NumClusters = 7, MinY = 50, MaxY = 85

So this means in any chunk, there will be 7 clusters of 6 apatite ore, between y50 and y85? If I need Apatite, is it best to strip mine in these levels? Does anyone know why Cofh would change this?

Second question: in the forestry config, it says you can change Multifarms to be Square, instead of diamond shape. Does anyone know if this changes the usefulness of multifarms, or is it just for aesthetics?