Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. BuildCraft Quarries are "dumb" machines, in that they won't filter blocks in that regard. If you are looking to do that, you'll want a turtle. But, in reality, a turtle will likely be fairly slow (you'll want it to dig out EVERY block, or to record the position of the iridium ore when it finds one) versus a quarry, which will likely end up meaning you get more ore from the quarry versus silktouching it.

yeah i am not talented at coding so this will have to be .
could be cool to have "advanced quarries " that you can filter what it should mine or insert upgrades in it ...

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i am not talented at coding so this will have to be .
could be cool to have "advanced quarries " that you can filter what it should mine or insert upgrades in it ...

ThaumCraft has "tunnel bores" which can use silktouched stuff, so that might be a possible solution. You'll need a RedPower2 frame setup to get it to work.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
ThaumCraft has "tunnel bores" which can use silktouched stuff, so that might be a possible solution. You'll need a RedPower2 frame setup to get it to work.

i was always too afraid of those because of the vis killing , but might try it . i thought it will cause problems on a frame but if it works it might be ok .. thx anyway

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i was always too afraid of those because of the vis killing , but might try it . i thought it will cause problems on a frame but if it works it might be ok .. thx anyway

I'd say set it up far away from your base, and point it in a direction you'll avoid going. I've yet to make one myself, but they do look like fun to try.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Giant Mounted Magical Lazors are frankly, the only /cool/ way of mining in the pack. That it causes the world to be cogered in unatural hostile creates, storms, and strage effects is a bonus.

I'd wonder If ou could use crystal capacitors/deployers/block breakers and a massive vis generation setup to ensure your mobile lazor platforms tear through the universe.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
crystal capacitors don't last long, even with crystal clusters also stuck on the arcane tunnel bore.
make sure to use repair and charging on the wand and pick used in the bore as well or they wear out fast.

problem is the flux nastiness not only around it, but where it is to boot.

this may be fine for a mining only age, but for an omnidirectional platform with detachable side accessories that also lays tunnels, flux removal gets to be a big issue.

as i asked after in my last, i'm still looking for a way to get pure bee apiaries working on a tunnel bore.

it's proving to be kind of a necessity.

also note sometimes the clients gc will go derpy rapidly cycling ~10% of mem use when the bore is active and the frameship trying to move.

this is usually a result of a stuck spot on the frameship, or the bore facing something it can't break(usually pointing down from a ship and seeing bedrock directly somehow.)

i have four of them below ground laying cardinal point tunnels from spawn out to around 4000 from 0,0 so far, and more still above laying the surface thoroughfares for a little project of mine.

also note more than one bore at once may speed mining drastically, but say four facing the same direction will burn through a few thousand vis in minutes.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
What's a good mining method that's preferably automatic and cheap? I only have two diamonds, and mining wells are very manual labor intensive as I have to check them and replace them every 15 mins or so.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
What's a good mining method that's preferably automatic and cheap? I only have two diamonds, and mining wells are very manual labor intensive as I have to check them and replace them every 15 mins or so.

Mining turtles, which are turtles (use NEI to look up "turtle") and a gem pickaxe (ruby, diamond, green sapphires, etc. The only difference is non-diamond pickaxes won't collect obsidian, although they will still break through it), then running the "excavate" program. Look up "computercraft excavate" for more details.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Slave labor. Got a homeless man to do your mining for you with the promise of food.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how much MJ the fermenter consumes per cycle? Isn't it 80 per cycle?
Also, the NEI recipe is how much biomass the fermenter makes per cycle, right?

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get smaller biomes generated (in the FTB Ultimate pack), I don't like the biomes being so large, I prefer some more variety. If anyone knows I would very much appreciate it!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get smaller biomes generated (in the FTB Ultimate pack), I don't like the biomes being so large, I prefer some more variety. If anyone knows I would very much appreciate it!

not really. seeds are just random. You can double check to make sure you don't have Large Biomes turned on while creating your map. Beyond that sorry random is random sometimes.

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the quick reply, I was already afraid there was no option of tweaking that after inspecting the configs, sadly you just confirmed that.
In that case I might just take out the extra biomes mod, though are there other mods in the pack that have dependencies on the extra biomes mod?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the quick reply, I was already afraid there was no option of tweaking that after inspecting the configs, sadly you just confirmed that.
In that case I might just take out the extra biomes mod, though are there other mods in the pack that have dependencies on the extra biomes mod?
Nope.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you want, you could instantly spawn yourself a mystcraft world that's exactly like the overworld but with small biomes.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, you can either remove the extra-biomes mod, or change the configs for extra-biomes to use less of its biomes. You should not do this on a world that you want to keep, though, as it will end up screwing with a pre-existing world.

If you are already with changing your world, or just want to edit the config file and move, go that way.

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the response I am fine with generating a fresh world, I think I will just remove the mod then. I could use mystcraft but it feels like inception :p permanently living in a dream (mystcraft world), so I won't use that as my base world.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the response I am fine with generating a fresh world, I think I will just remove the mod then. I could use mystcraft but it feels like inception :p permanently living in a dream (mystcraft world), so I won't use that as my base world.

MystCraft ages are just other dimensions, similar to the nether, or the end. Besides that, in the Myst canon, you're actually just linking to another place, not creating it (thinking that you created it/acting like a god is a great way to end up going insane/getting killed by everyone else).

But yeah, removing the mod is the easiest thing to do in this case. Good luck!