Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
So Ive come to terms with the fact that I, infact, suck at building stuff. My stuff tends to be square. Nothing special. My imagination with blocks sucks. A lot.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
When I hop into a game and it warns me that certain mods have updates...do people generally ignore these?
If I wanted to, say, update my Unhinged with the latest and greatest GregTech version, what are the implications? Is it even possible?

as long as you make sure its the latest and greatest 1.5.2 version of GregTech you should be fine

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Another cinder-block-house player. I'm no longer alone. I made a roof once...

All my stuff requires a roof. But otherwise, yep. Cinderblock sounds right. 4 walls and a roof. Im lucky if I remember to put in a window somewhere. Basement to hide some stuff? Its just the first floor with steps going down. How do I know its a first floor? It has steps going to it. xD I would love to be ccreative and make something awesome... not happening.

Edit: To the post above me. Holy crud. That looks exactly like me. Only its usualy a 20x20x4 or whatever would be the correct dimensions. But I feel like Im watching myself. Square stone buildings that look boring. I sense a kinship here.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Another cinder-block-house player. I'm no longer alone. I made a roof once...

Underground hermits unite. I usually build some type of rectangular building on the surface then 80 to 90% of the rest of my base is all underground. My last major build was 3 basements right under the surface house then passageways & teleporters to various mob grinders that were all underground.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Question. When did powersuits suddenly get all floaty? The rocket boots. Its annoying me. Before I could do jumps and hops and not glide down slowly to the ground. But this moon walk bounce thing almost makes me wanna take that enhancement off my boots so I can fall like a rock again.

Edit: Also, whats the best way to set up MFR tree farms? I mainly need one for tons of rubber. But whenever I made the farm it felt like I did it wrong. Id always get rubber blocks that didnt break or I somehow messed up the range of the harvester when I gave all 3 machines a single upgrade. I feel like a dumby with mfr.

Editedit: Also, can someone with creativity tell me how I could spruce up my home in the sky. I built it coming off of a slime island. First basement is a machine room. Second basement is supposed to be a tree farm of sorts. It feels sorta boring to just make levels going down however. The windmills are at sky limit. So I know Ima need to move stuff up and down if I want this to be a tall building. But it feels like its just gonna be a black tower in the sky. I dont even know how to make floor transitions look good. D= And whats a good ceiling height for tree farms? I wanna have atleast a block of clearence over rubber trees and common other trees if I do decide to go a biofuel route later.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Open config/railcraft/railcraft.cfg and search for "sound" (to find option B:play.sounds).
thank you

is there a way to pipe Turbine Rotors into steam turbine housing? I have tried AE and even tried using routers.
I was trying to get the AE system to make them and replace them when they wore out.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
thank you

is there a way to pipe Turbine Rotors into steam turbine housing? I have tried AE and even tried using routers.
I was trying to get the AE system to make them and replace them when they wore out.
Unfortunately... Not. You can, however, get AE to always keep one rotor in a chest (LP is better when it comes down to that - no, seriously, just slap a pipe) nearby and have a gate measure how much it has depleted. When it reaches 25% of the original durability, it will turn on a light (preferentiably a lamp, like TE's Glowstone Iluminators) and then you can see wheter or not the rotor is about to die, so you can pick that one up from the chest and put in the rotor.
I know, it's a bitch. But running them at 50% makes them last AGES.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Use your favorite method of automated mining to get lapiz lazuli. Minium Stone transmute them through the dye colors until you get to black (ink sac)

Unless you're playing unhinged (does anyone?) then perhaps a lake with a bed of hoppers and tesla coils?

I'm curious though, why do you need all these ink sacs?

Lapis doesnt transmute.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Question. When did powersuits suddenly get all floaty? The rocket boots. Its annoying me. Before I could do jumps and hops and not glide down slowly to the ground. But this moon walk bounce thing almost makes me wanna take that enhancement off my boots so I can fall like a rock again.

Edit: Also, whats the best way to set up MFR tree farms? I mainly need one for tons of rubber. But whenever I made the farm it felt like I did it wrong. Id always get rubber blocks that didnt break or I somehow messed up the range of the harvester when I gave all 3 machines a single upgrade. I feel like a dumby with mfr.

Editedit: Also, can someone with creativity tell me how I could spruce up my home in the sky. I built it coming off of a slime island. First basement is a machine room. Second basement is supposed to be a tree farm of sorts. It feels sorta boring to just make levels going down however. The windmills are at sky limit. So I know Ima need to move stuff up and down if I want this to be a tall building. But it feels like its just gonna be a black tower in the sky. I dont even know how to make floor transitions look good. D= And whats a good ceiling height for tree farms? I wanna have atleast a block of clearence over rubber trees and common other trees if I do decide to go a biofuel route later.

Im smart. Never included a picture

http://i.imgur.com/lSU7NY6.jpg

Typhote

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got this castle-like structure I've been building, and a friend suggested using frames for the gate. So I messed around with them and decided they would work, but I have one problem: The is 3 blocks wide so the middle block on the row below the top doesn't move with everything else. I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion on what to do to fix this in some way without condensing the gate to 2 blocks wide? The entire area around this gate has already been laid out and I really don't want to have to adjust everything just to make the gate smaller.

Below is a screenshot of the result I get with the frames. The object of the gate is to have a 2x1 opening in the center of the gate after the motor pushes the frames up twice. The screenshot is only after the first movement.

2013-09-18_183536_zps56613293.png

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Im smart. Never included a picture

http://i.imgur.com/lSU7NY6.jpg

Not sure on other questions, hard to understand your question about rubber farm. using same upgrades in planter and harvester should work perfectly. You get rubber wood and rubber, which you put into a furnace to make rubber for ic2 purposes. Then you can put rubber wood into an extractor for even more rubber.

As for the creativity... thats not easy but I like platform type builds, just usually only 15 blocks or so above the ground. Take the building you have and make stairs down both sides, or all four, then build platforms or buildings or whatever on those sections. Running power and stuff can be tricky though. I usually make the floor with a hollow middle section, at least two blocks high, so you can drop below the upper floor into a 'crawlspace' (except its two blocks high so youc an walk around) that has all your pipes and cables in it. Thats just me though.

Think towers maybe on all four corners, with windmills on each one? Try checking out the forum thread here where people show off their bases, you can get a lot of ideas from looking at what others do.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got this castle-like structure I've been building, and a friend suggested using frames for the gate. So I messed around with them and decided they would work, but I have one problem: The is 3 blocks wide so the middle block on the row below the top doesn't move with everything else. I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion on what to do to fix this in some way without condensing the gate to 2 blocks wide? The entire area around this gate has already been laid out and I really don't want to have to adjust everything just to make the gate smaller.

Below is a screenshot of the result I get with the frames. The object of the gate is to have a 2x1 opening in the center of the gate after the motor pushes the frames up twice. The screenshot is only after the first movement.

2013-09-18_183536_zps56613293.png

What pack is this? Most packs are 1.5.2 now and even with loss of redpower. 1.5 adds many new things. In, 1.5 they have drawbridges which would be a faster, cheaper, and energy free gate. It also can be completely hidden as whatever block you want. Look it up on the wiki its all I use for my gates now.

Typhote

Jul 29, 2019
What pack is this? Most packs are 1.5.2 now and even with loss of redpower. 1.5 adds many new things. In, 1.5 they have drawbridges which would be a faster, cheaper, and energy free gate. It also can be completely hidden as whatever block you want. Look it up on the wiki its all I use for my gates now.

Suppose I have some research to do then. I might have to switch. Right now I'm using Yogcraft but it's still 1.4.7. I'm hoping that by "completely hidden" you mean more hidden than a shade lighter than everything else, as microblocks seem to do with the texture pack I use- which you can see by looking at the stone frame panels then at the stone blocks, if you didn't already notice that.

Thanks for the advice.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019

-snip-

As an extra, aesthetic tip, you can use panels (NOT COVERS) on the frames that are touching the iron bars, and the iron bars will still get taken along with the rest of the frame assembly.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i am playing unleashed. I have something weird happening. For some reason there is duplicate power armor showing up in my AE system. It has all the same stuff as the one I am wearing. I play single player, so how can this be? I currently have 2 duplicate complete sets in there now.