Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
UU Matter is still more useful than using the Mining Laser... It gives you more control over what specifically you'll get. The Mining Laser is more comparable to opening random scrap boxes, although with a much better yield and control over what you'll get, as well as more useful products overall. UU Matter is not completely necessary, however. It's completely doable to do without it, apart from end-game Gregtech.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't have a bank of engines running 24/7 with BC, you're doing it wrong.

Erm, no...

Since the age of SpaceToad, Buildcraft has missed no opportunity to teach us that the worst possible thing you can have is a constantly running engine. Whether they explode themselves (hello combustion engines!), or blow up the connected pipes, or run out of fuel whenever you aren't looking (hello stirling engines!), or shut themselves off from overproduction and have you return to an out-of-power machine room anyway, or simply lag the game to death (hello Redstone engines!), there never existed any compelling reason (and much less the tools necessary) to run engines around the clock regardless of workload. The one moment in time at which most of these factors were mitigated was, ironically, the introduction of Thermal Expansion's conduits, which handily ignored everything that made Buildcraft power aggravating to automate at the time. Things have gotten better in some respects since then, but even today, the only way to absolutely guarantee having power whenever you need it, without having to worry about your engines or your pipes or your fuel supply, is an on-demand system regulated by gates. Which by definition is not running 24/7.

Or well, I suppose you could do a Railcraft steam boiler + engines with Thermal Expansion conduits and some kind of questionable cross-mod infinite fuel loop, but none of that even involves Buildcraft beyond incidentally using the same unit of energy. :p

Constantly running engines may be an ideal you aim to achieve with Buildcraft, but it never was and still is not the optimal way of doing things.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Erm, no...

Since the age of SpaceToad, Buildcraft has missed no opportunity to teach us that the worst possible thing you can have is a constantly running engine. Whether they explode themselves (hello combustion engines!), or blow up the connected pipes, or run out of fuel whenever you aren't looking (hello stirling engines!), or shut themselves off from overproduction and have you return to an out-of-power machine room anyway, or simply lag the game to death (hello Redstone engines!), there never existed any compelling reason (and much less the tools necessary) to run engines around the clock regardless of workload. The one moment in time at which most of these factors were mitigated was, ironically, the introduction of Thermal Expansion's conduits, which handily ignored everything that made Buildcraft power aggravating to automate at the time. Things have gotten better in some respects since then, but even today, the only way to absolutely guarantee having power whenever you need it, without having to worry about your engines or your pipes or your fuel supply, is an on-demand system regulated by gates. Which by definition is not running 24/7.

Or well, I suppose you could do a Railcraft steam boiler + engines with Thermal Expansion conduits and some kind of questionable cross-mod infinite fuel loop, but none of that even involves Buildcraft beyond incidentally using the same unit of energy. :p

Constantly running engines may be an ideal you aim to achieve with Buildcraft, but it never was and still is not the optimal way of doing things.
This is why I'm still using my ethanol in combustion engines rather than in a boiler. I even wrote up a nifty ComputerCraft program that turns my engines off when my Redstone Energy Cells are full, and turns them back on when the power gets low. I try not to waste a single MJ.

Shimmer015

Jul 29, 2019
I have a quick question about mystcraft, ( I'm using the 1.5.2 version). I'm trying to make a flat world with an orchard biome that's always day and I can't seem to get the pages order right without getting random worlds =\

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I have a quick question about mystcraft, ( I'm using the 1.5.2 version). I'm trying to make a flat world with an orchard biome that's always day and I can't seem to get the pages order right without getting random worlds =\
Biomes pages must come before the biome controller now. Some previously mandatory pages are no longer, I think, such as weather. I don't think there's a forum guide thread for the new version yet. I watched DW20's spotlight yesterday, and he did mention something about random extra characteristics in ages but it wasn't clear what he meant by it. I suspect that if you have things missing, like weather, you have a chance of getting other random stuff like tendrils that might bring instability. Not sure though.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I'd offer my advice but I recently generated a Desert/ExHills/ExEdge world that somehow had an alpine biome and two extra suns, so...yeah.

Oh, hell with it, I'll offer advice anyway. No guarantees though.

So, flat orchard eternal day?
  1. Link Panel
  2. Orchard Biome
  3. Single Biome
  4. Flat
  5. Zero Length
  6. Noon
  7. Normal Sun
  8. Zero Length
  9. End
  10. Normal Moon
  11. Normal Stars
  12. Normal Lighting
  13. No Weather
  14. Clear Modifiers
Can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth a try.

Shimmer015

Jul 29, 2019
I'd offer my advice but I recently generated a Desert/ExHills/ExEdge world that somehow had an alpine biome and two extra suns, so...yeah.

Oh, hell with it, I'll offer advice anyway. No guarantees though.

So, flat orchard eternal day?
  1. Link Panel
  2. Orchard Biome
  3. Single Biome
  4. Flat
  5. Zero Length
  6. Noon
  7. Normal Sun
  8. Zero Length
  9. End
  10. Normal Moon
  11. Normal Stars
  12. Normal Lighting
  13. No Weather
  14. Clear Modifiers
Can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth a try.

It worked like a charm thanks! =)

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
A good idea if you're going to get into bee breeding is to build your base close to the border of three different biomes. Or, build an annexe there, and use Portal Gun to travel between your base and your bees.
What's an annexe? I can't seem to find it in the NEI or the wiki.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
What's an annexe? I can't seem to find it in the NEI or the wiki.
He meant an outpost to your base, dedicated to the bees. Use the portal gun as a quick way of travel between your outpost and your main base. Remember, that an active portal also acts like a spotloader (keeps the chunk it is in loaded).

Darknesschaos

Jul 29, 2019
It worked like a charm thanks! =)

I and others have come across a bug where mystcraft worlds in ult will generate randomly regardless of your input to those ages. If you have that problem, the only fix I found was to delete the world region data and re-generate the specific world.

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
Okay having taken a few months break from ftb, Started up with the beta 1.5 packs, What I'm curious about is with frames missing in action, what is the best way to amass ores?

Shimmer015

Jul 29, 2019
I and others have come across a bug where mystcraft worlds in ult will generate randomly regardless of your input to those ages. If you have that problem, the only fix I found was to delete the world region data and re-generate the specific world.

I'm using the 1.5.2 beta pack (no GT) if I do come across that problem I'll see if that would help. thanks =)

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know why my plate bending machine would suddenly stop working? I put in 15 invar ingots. It made 2 then stopped. Its connected to a LV transformer along with my compressor and extractor which is connected to a MV transformer and to a full MFSU. My extractor and compressor both work, but this machine just made 2 plates then wont anymore. Ive moved it, fnagled with it and nothing.

Ignore this. Apparently it has an internal charge. I had a redstone signal under the transformer and didnt know it stopped MJs from passing though.(The level was for my furnace. So after the internal buffer was done it stopped.