Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Your second sorting machine appears to be backwards. The way it's facing now, items will come in through the unpainted tube and be output through the white-painted tube, which means that machine is effectively useless and, since its input is only 4 tubes away from the other sorting machine's output with no painted tubes in the way, everything from the first sorting machine will get sent to the second one automatically.

Just rotate it so it looks like it's facing the same direction as the first sorting machine, with the larger plus-shaped hole facing the white tube. That should fix your problem.
It's the little things that cause the biggest headaches, huh? That fixed it. Thank you very much.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
How do I get the bees that make experience? I'm very new to bees, and they still confuse me quite a bit, so a simplistic answer would be appreciated. ;)

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
GraviTool?
Probably... Thanks man.[DOUBLEPOST=1370981038][/DOUBLEPOST]My bees have been in their apiaries for a while now and none of them have produced anything. They are way underground and there aren't any trees or flowers by them, so is this the problem?

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
My bees have been in their apiaries for a while now and none of them have produced anything. They are way underground and there aren't any trees or flowers by them, so is this the problem?

Normally, yes. But it depends on the specific type of bee. Most bees require their apiaries to have direct line of sight to the sky, and most require some form of flower (or vine, fern, cactus etc depending on bee type) near them.

One of the notable exceptions to this, are Rocky Bees, which can function just fine underground, in the dark, and require smooth stone nearby to function.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a bee guide anyway? I wanna try out all these mods I have. Bees are very intidimating though. I still havent even made a tree farm and never even looked at biogas. ;-;

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Normally, yes. But it depends on the specific type of bee. Most bees require their apiaries to have direct line of sight to the sky, and most require some form of flower (or vine, fern, cactus etc depending on bee type) near them.

One of the notable exceptions to this, are Rocky Bees, which can function just fine underground, in the dark, and require smooth stone nearby to function.
I put them outside, and they started giving off the bee particles, but after a day they stopped. I have no flowers of any kind near any of the bees.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
How do I get the bees that make experience? I'm very new to bees, and they still confuse me quite a bit, so a simplistic answer would be appreciated. ;)
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Edenic_Bee
On the bottom left you see "Mutates from". When you click on the Tropical Bee you see, that it is a hive bee, so you need to find its hive (in the jungle). If you click on the Exotic Bee you see, that it mutates from Austere Bee + Tropical Bee.. Now click your way back to bees you already have. http://plornt.com/bees/ (and clicking on the (wrongly named) Endenic Bee) will give you a quick graphical overview of the breeding tree.[DOUBLEPOST=1370988623][/DOUBLEPOST]
I put them outside, and they started giving off the bee particles, but after a day they stopped. I have no flowers of any kind near any of the bees.
If you view your apiary you will see what the problem is. The tabs on the right will list the problem.
Since it took a day until the particles stopped... Did your queen simply die so that you need to put the princess and a drone back in the left slots?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Not so much a mod question but what size banners do people use to promote servers?

Well if it is going to be in your sig just follow the rules up top.

If your going to use it in an ad post then really what ever you like. Tough to be honest if you go past 400 to 600 you will have issue on some peoples screen that have tiny monitors.

EDIT : went and grabbed the rule for you. Just remeber the Sig is Image plus anything else you put in there like text.
4. Signatures should be less then 615 wide x 150 Tall.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Edenic_Bee
On the bottom left you see "Mutates from". When you click on the Tropical Bee you see, that it is a hive bee, so you need to find its hive (in the jungle). If you click on the Exotic Bee you see, that it mutates from Austere Bee + Tropical Bee.. Now click your way back to bees you already have. http://plornt.com/bees/ (and clicking on the (wrongly named) Endenic Bee) will give you a quick graphical overview of the breeding tree.[DOUBLEPOST=1370988623][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you view your apiary you will see what the problem is. The tabs on the right will list the problem.
Since it took a day until the particles stopped... Did your queen simply die so that you need to put the princess and a drone back in the left slots?
The problem was either the area was hostile, or there were no flowers. I really don't understand bees enough to totally understand the breeding tree concept. Right now I'm scrambling to get combs to get the honey dew to power my bee related stuff and it's already giving me trouble.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Another question. How do I reset the glass fibre cable loss distance.. Er. Hard to understand.

GFC lose 1 packet over 40 blocks. But Im guessing having a breaker block every 4 blocks would reset the loss? So what block could I put there to reset losses. I want to hook up my solars and then have a huge hidden annoying mass of cables that head down 3 stories in my house to the basement, but I want to avoid losses cause Im still using only small solar panels. Working slowly to upgrading them.

Also, whats the best way to use windmills? I like free resources, and Im currently in a cherry blossom grove biome(Biomes o plenty). So I get lots of storms if it matters, or if the biome matters. I just wanna figure out best placement incase I want to use those with my solars.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
For completely avoiding losses transformers are the best. One HV transformer can output up to 4 512 EU packets per tick, which equals to 2048 EU/t transfer, for more you need more transformers.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Another question. How do I reset the glass fibre cable loss distance.. Er. Hard to understand.

GFC lose 1 packet over 40 blocks. But Im guessing having a breaker block every 4 blocks would reset the loss? So what block could I put there to reset losses. I want to hook up my solars and then have a huge hidden annoying mass of cables that head down 3 stories in my house to the basement, but I want to avoid losses cause Im still using only small solar panels. Working slowly to upgrading them.

Also, whats the best way to use windmills? I like free resources, and Im currently in a cherry blossom grove biome(Biomes o plenty). So I get lots of storms if it matters, or if the biome matters. I just wanna figure out best placement incase I want to use those with my solars.

Either a transformer, or a storage device will reset the loss. But this runs into a potential choke, for example if you have a 512 EU/p then use a bat box as your breaker block, then all of a sudden the maximum throughput you can send through is 32 EU/t because that's the output of the bat box.

Something of note, the EU loss is per packet per distance, so if you're trying to send 512 packets of 1 EU/t, it will reach a maximum of 40 blocks before you get nothing. But if you send one packet of 512 EU/t then it will go 512*40 blocks before you lose out on everything.

Basically, make sure you're sending the maximum packet size the cable can handle if you're worried about EU loss over distance, and that will minimise it.

Reactions: Henry Link

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Sounds good. Last question. Hybrid Ultimate Whatever vs HV Array. Which actually takes less resources to make? Since they both generate the same 512 per tick.

Also, Im unsure I understand the packet loss.

Regular solars generate 1 eu/t. So say I wanted to extend that, would I be able to go 39 blocks, transformer, 39 blocks, repeat and not lose anything?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Sounds good. Last question. Hybrid Ultimate Whatever vs HV Array. Which actually takes less resources to make? Since they both generate the same 512 per tick.

Also, Im unsure I understand the packet loss.

Regular solars generate 1 eu/t. So say I wanted to extend that, would I be able to go 39 blocks, transformer, 39 blocks, repeat and not lose anything?
To your last bit, yes, however there's an easier way IMO
Have them all send into an MFSU that is under 40 blocks away from them, and that will output packets of 512, which you send onto wherever you want to send it. The way that you're suggesting would be without loss, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra effort when you could just work out one block and have very little loss.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
To your last bit, yes, however there's an easier way IMO
Have them all send into an MFSU that is under 40 blocks away from them, and that will output packets of 512, which you send onto wherever you want to send it. The way that you're suggesting would be without loss, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra effort when you could just work out one block and have very little loss.

Well Im going up and down inside the walls of my home. So what you say makes sense, Id just need more MFSU's for each juncture because I had plants to stop on each floor to power one or two non machine machines. But that does sound better in the end. Now to just figure out which solar panel is cheaper and aim to making that along with some windmills for funsies.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well Im going up and down inside the walls of my home. So what you say makes sense, Id just need more MFSU's for each juncture because I had plants to stop on each floor to power one or two non machine machines. But that does sound better in the end. Now to just figure out which solar panel is cheaper and aim to making that along with some windmills for funsies.

From memory only, so possible mistakes may follow, I think the HV solar array uses cheaper resources, but it uses much more of these to be built, lots of silicon plates, lots of glass etc (if you've got Greg) else lots of coal and glass

The advanced solars so ultimate hybrid and what not use less resources, but use much much more expensive ones in the construction. However they also have a bonus in that they work overnight at 1/8th of their maximum capacity. Whilst the arrays simply shut off overnight.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The problem was either the area was hostile, or there were no flowers. I really don't understand bees enough to totally understand the breeding tree concept. Right now I'm scrambling to get combs to get the honey dew to power my bee related stuff and it's already giving me trouble.
If your bees aren't working, the apiary should tell you what the problem is, in the top right corner of the GUI. Note that most bees are happy in a biome with normal temperature and humidity, such as a typical plains or forest, and need basic flowers- vanilla roses or dandelions work fine. For tropical bees, you'll need a warmer biome (such as a jungle) and vines nearby for flowers.

Also note that most bees (save Rocky, and all those derived from Rocky) won't work without direct sunlight on the apiary. There must be nothing above the apiary (save glass, torches, etc.), and it must be daytime and not raining. Rocky bees (and all the bees from ExtraBees that produce metals, gems, and the like) work pretty much anywhere, so long as there's stone nearby.