Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Are you talking about EU diamond spikes? What's the difference between them and gold? I thought the difference was supposed to be enchantability but I'm getting the same 2 useless enchants for both and nothing more (even with an anvil IIRC). And gold was enough to count as a player kill and drop XP, so I don't get what the diamond spikes brought to the table at all.
My understanding was that gold was not counting as a player kill actually.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My understanding was that gold was not counting as a player kill actually.

Oh, it definitely does (or at least very much appears to). From my recent testing (and for all I know maybe something was up with different versions or something) :

Wood Spikes will damage but not kill, leaving half a heart.
Iron Spikes count as player kills and mobs can drop rare items like heads and whatnot, but does not drop XP
Gold Spikes count as player kills and mobs drop XP
Diamond spikes don't appear to do anything more than Gold Spikes (except slightly more damage), but descriptions say that you can enchant them.

And I tried everything I could think of to enchant them because I really wanted to give it XP Boost, but only two useless mod enchants they would respond to, whether it be an anvil, the advanced enchanting table that lets you pick your enchants and the NEI enchantability page. And they were all the same from iron through diamond.

But, again, something may be broken on my end, or it could be a version bug or something.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Oh, it definitely does (or at least very much appears to). From my recent testing (and for all I know maybe something was up with different versions or something) :

Iron Spikes count as player kills and mobs can drop rare items like heads and whatnot, but does not drop XP
Diamond spikes don't appear to do anything more than Gold Spikes (except slightly more damage), but descriptions say that you can enchant them.

And I tried everything I could think of to enchant them because I really wanted to give it XP Boost, but only two useless mod enchants they would respond to, whether it be an anvil, the advanced enchanting table that lets you pick your enchants and the NEI enchantability page. And they were all the same from iron through diamond.

But, again, something may be broken on my end, or it could be a version bug or something.
If that is the case, it's a break from how it used to work, because the gold was meant to garner XP and not player drops, that was the point.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
There's no quarry in FTB Beyond, except for one unknown block from Extra Utilities 2 mod. No Buildcraft quarry, no Ender Quarry. OMG, what am I supposed to do now? LOL Need suggestions.

EnderQuarry is no more - try looking at the Quantum Quarry. I believe there is another quarry (TechReborn?) that acts like the MFR Laser Drill of old. The RFTools Builder can use a variety or Quarry cards for numerous results. Botania has the Orechid, which converts smooth stone into ores. I think Actually Additions has a laser focus that does something similar (and affects Netherrack to provide Nether ores like Nether Quartz). There are probably more, but that should get you started.

Edit: You could always build a frame mining rig if all else fails.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

How did you confirm gold counts as player kill?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
How did you confirm gold counts as player kill?

By the drops. I was getting trophies and mob heads that when I looked them up, it said they had to be player kills.

The modpack I have now, the mob heads drop like crazy, so I think something in it is making them drop any time, but at the time I had tested it, I hadn't seen a single mob head drop until I started using the iron spikes, and continued into the gold ones.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If that is the case, it's a break from how it used to work, because the gold was meant to garner XP and not player drops, that was the point.

Hmm.. possible I transposed which ones were which and I was getting the player drops from iron and assumed that carried over to gold. I did ultimately leave one of (what I thought was useless) diamond spikes in the juicer from then on out, definitely not ruling out user error.

Y'all gonna make me use up all my diamonds testing this now, lol

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
By the drops. I was getting trophies and mob heads that when I looked them up, it said they had to be player kills.

The modpack I have now, the mob heads drop like crazy, so I think something in it is making them drop any time, but at the time I had tested it, I hadn't seen a single mob head drop until I started using the iron spikes, and continued into the gold ones.
most mob heads arent player drops. Just wither skulls commonly.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, the more I think about it, I think GamerwithnoGame hit the nail on the head. I had made a dozen gold spikes and 4 diamond all at the same time, and it's very possible I switched out the gold for the diamond before giving it long enough to really test, and then was using the diamond spike just because it was prettier.

I can accept the premise is that iron give player drops, but not exp. Gold gives xp but not player drops, and diamond gives you both. I'm going to swap out my gold spike for a diamond one tonight and see if that makes any difference. Any good examples for what kind of loot to look out for?

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
There's no quarry in FTB Beyond, except for one unknown block from Extra Utilities 2 mod. No Buildcraft quarry, no Ender Quarry. OMG, what am I supposed to do now? LOL Need suggestions.
the rftools builder is a quarry(same type of quarry as the ender quarry) . u just need a quarry card shift right click the builder with it ,and then select the mining area for it clicking with the card on the corners of "to mine" area(essentially where u would put ender markers normally )
it just requires a chest of somekind directly on top of it to operate and rf to harvest blocks(quarry card means u actually get the blocks it harvests)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Is there a way to re-name and give a different picture to instances in the curse launcher?

I want to have a "standard" version of Beyond, and a different version with added mods, but when you copy an instance it gives it the exact same name and pic.
Would be handy to tell the difference between the two.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to re-name and give a different picture to instances in the curse launcher?

I want to have a "standard" version of Beyond, and a different version with added mods, but when you copy an instance it gives it the exact same name and pic.
Would be handy to tell the difference between the two.

If you go into the profile options of your instance, you can unlock the pack to make alterations, including renaming the instance. Changing the picture is a whole other ball of wax, as I've not found a way to do that without publishing your own pack (likely wouldn't be verified with a copy of Beyond, lol). My solution is to use Curse to edit packs and browse the mod repository, but I use MultiMC to launch packs. It's much lighter on CPU load, doesn't add uneditable (and conflicting) junk to my Java arguments, and allows me to change icons for my packs for easy visual identification (also allows me to create groups, like Custom and FTB which separates them from one another).

Reactions: Everlasting2
C

Centenis

is anyone else able to find bloodstone in FTB departed. I have scavenged the abyss for 2 hours with a hammer and i got NOTHING.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the more I think about it...

Another thing to consider is your pack version, it seems you are mentioning options that existed more in the 1.7 version. I believe that diamond spikes are no longer enchantable in 1.10.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
What are some early-ish Sky Factory 3 mob-killing mechanisms people are using?
I've tinkered with punji sticks and the dark utilities traps. Are there any early-ish options that garner player-only )

With the combat update you can now hit all mobs in one space with that broad slash, so a spider free 22 block drop tower can kill nearly everything in one hit (ender man and witches come to mind). That will get you player kills until you want to put spikes or a mob grinding utils device at the bottom.

If you are sifting I will also make some early game recommendations. Put copper somewhere on all your tinkers tools, especially the hatchet and use it to veinmine the leaves before chopping the trees. Enchant a diamond mesh and put it in a heavy sieve, then run your stacks of gravel through that to get your diamonds and emeralds. Efficiency and fortune enchantments on that thing is way better than a grid of unenchanted regular sieves working together in my opinion.

Reactions: Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Another thing to consider is your pack version, it seems you are mentioning options that existed more in the 1.7 version. I believe that diamond spikes are no longer enchantable in 1.10.

What may have thwarted the whole thing, besides my own human error, is that it wasn't part of any pack. I downloaded each mod individually, so there may have been some config file or something that made them enchantable in, say infinity but wasn't default. I am running 1.7.10 though.

I have em now, so I might as well test them. Ive replaced the main spike in the juicer and maybe that'll make it rain portal guns. I didn't think to double check enchantability, though. Ftbwiki page on it says it can be enchanted with anything a diamond sword can be enchanted with. I'll test it on this new pack tomorrow

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Was there a obligatory "Help, Venting, and Discussion" thread for Beyond? I know the others got moved around a bit, but the sticky with links to them has no info for Beyond.

R

rgrosera

why is my me chest locked???

Attachments

• 2017-03-12_13.32.14.png
    2017-03-12_13.32.14.png
    447.8 KB · Views: 44