Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
P

pinomin

Ehm... You just quoted me saying how long it is supposed to take with the power maxed out(with default configs)...

It is supposed to cost a lot of power. It produces ores out of nothing! Completely renewable, place and forget. And it even produce rare and special ores that you cannot get, or are are hard/difficult to get otherwise.

Why can I go into creative then, put down the exact same setup as I have and I'll be getting ores about 3 times faster then in survival and keep in mind thats on a superflat world 4 blocks away from bedrock, whereas my actual base is located at almost 100 y level.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yes, the higher it is, the less power is required per "work unit".

I have always found this to be rather dumb tbh... Should be the other way around. The less distance the laser has to travel before it hits it target, the less it looses focus and the less diffraction occurs... :p
I imagine it's a balancing thing. Slapping down a few blocks at bedrock is trivial, especially when most people dig down to near bedrock to mine, anyway. Setting up a laser drill at ground level is trickier, as you need to dig a 60+ meter deep hole (and not fall down it). Setting it up at 256 adds the hassles of building ~150 meters off the ground- you need a way to get up there (ladder, jetpack, teleporters, etc.), a way to get power up and items back down (tesseracts are probably cheaper than a couple hundred conduits, and faster as well), and a way to ensure that if you do fall off while working up there, you don't die from fall damage (jetpack would work nicely here as well).

P

pinomin

I think I've managed to fix the laser drill myself, not really sure what was causing it but I've moved it a few blocks closer to the reactor and it seems to work at full speed now.

F

Flambeau83

I'm hoping I have a duh moment. Was working on a new world for the Monster (V1.1.2) Minecraft Version 1.6.4 By the FTB Team. Since the update earlier this week (could have been last week or so I was taking a little break) I had to restart the world as the ore library was borked. When starting the new world there is no map. I've looked through the key mappings and not seeing anything. Any Suggestions that will make me feel stupid?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm hoping I have a duh moment. Was working on a new world for the Monster (V1.1.2) Minecraft Version 1.6.4 By the FTB Team. Since the update earlier this week (could have been last week or so I was taking a little break) I had to restart the world as the ore library was borked. When starting the new world there is no map. I've looked through the key mappings and not seeing anything. Any Suggestions that will make me feel stupid?
As far as I remember, the 1.6.4 packs were shipped with several minimap mods, but none of them were enabled by default. Have you enabled one of the mods?

F

Flambeau83

Awesome it works! wonder why blood magic was disabled too. O well. I'll make sure to check those next time thanks again!

Proxy_Player

Jul 29, 2019
sooo,
i Was Wondering if Mekanism (v9) uses the Actual Metric Prefixes.

You know, theses:
b069ccc7f0d41189e2b2fdd60245b25a.png

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Is the new frequent update system of Mojang's a attempt by Microsoft to disrupt the modding community?

I don't know if they care that a small portion of the player base plays modded minecraft. Would it even have a effect on the number that played other version if modded was no longer a thing on the PC version though?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Is the new frequent update system of Mojang's a attempt by Microsoft to disrupt the modding community?
Probably because now that they've solved the legalese with Microsoft, Mojang can churn out new updates full-time.

Not every problem is because of Microsoft, you know.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I don't know if they care that a small portion of the player base plays modded minecraft. Would it even have a effect on the number that played other version if modded was no longer a thing on the PC version though?
This isn't really a "simple" question and it deserves its own thread as an interesting topic (although its been discussed before) :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Honestly, I think the regular updates are to try and keep it fresh, keep people interested and keep them playing! Yes, certain things have a knock-on effect on the modding community, and I believe they wouldn't take modders into account when making these decisions, but that's a different beast from attempting to sabotage the modding community. I honestly think progress in the long run is better for all parties.-

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
I making a 1.7.10 modpack for private usage, and I using CoFH Custom World Generation.
I know how to configure a custom generation, but I don't know the default oregen values.
You know, the default cluster size, number of clusters, min and max heights, type of the generator, biome restrictions etc.

So, my question is; how I can get the default ore generation values for every mod? Is there a way to dump it somehow?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Microsoft has stated repeatedly that the whole reason for purchasing Mojang was because of the modding community... They intend to use MC as a tool to get kids interested in programming at an early age, and if they can do so using Microsoft tools (Win10 Minecraft, Visual Studio etc.) the better. Hence the fact that the Windows10 version of MC is based on MC Pocket Edition and written in C++.

Their roadmap is to bring PE to match the full capabilities of Vanilla MC, and then release some kind of modding capabilty, be it an API or something else. Whatever they do may or may not work with the Java version... Only time will tell. Will the Java version survive? Who knows? Win10 MC seems to run better but has the flaw right now of really being limited to Pocket Edition's control set with keyboard access stapled on. Also, Win10 is fully compatible with every version of PE out now, whether on console, tablet or phone.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
No, they used a codebase (C++) that they already had in-house and quality programmers to use it.

BTW... several of the recent fixes to Java MC came from PE, like the improved rendering in 1.8. Instead of drawing every block down to bedrock now MC only renders visible blocks. This was necessary in PE because of the "retarded" memory address space built into phones and tablets at that time.

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
No, they used a codebase (C++) that they already had in-house and quality programmers to use it.

BTW... several of the recent fixes to Java MC came from PE, like the improved rendering in 1.8. Instead of drawing every block down to bedrock now MC only renders visible blocks. This was necessary in PE because of the "retarded" memory address space built into phones and tablets at that time.

Wow, thats nice, I didn't know that the improved rendering come from the PE code. I have a very old computer and I simply can't play 1.7.10 modpacks, because it eat up all the cpu and ram I have..
I aways thought that PE is just a simplier version of the desktop MC.
It's good to know... From now on, I think I will pay a little more attention to things about the PE versions. To be honest I never-ever read or watch anything about PE.

Anyway, can we stop using this forum to post news and other things about any versions or about Microsoft or anything...
Just leave this forum as it is: Simple question, simple answer about mods and releated things?

So, by chance, do you know the answer to my question that I posted before your?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft has stated repeatedly that the whole reason for purchasing Mojang was because of the modding community... They intend to use MC as a tool to get kids interested in programming at an early age, and if they can do so using Microsoft tools (Win10 Minecraft, Visual Studio etc.) the better. Hence the fact that the Windows10 version of MC is based on MC Pocket Edition and written in C++.

Their roadmap is to bring PE to match the full capabilities of Vanilla MC, and then release some kind of modding capabilty, be it an API or something else. Whatever they do may or may not work with the Java version... Only time will tell. Will the Java version survive? Who knows? Win10 MC seems to run better but has the flaw right now of really being limited to Pocket Edition's control set with keyboard access stapled on. Also, Win10 is fully compatible with every version of PE out now, whether on console, tablet or phone.
??? PC controls being tacked on. They originally felt very sloppy and weren't all that good. The last time I played it a few months ago the Windows edition controls and handling had come a long way. It was originally click things into a chest. Lat time it was put in chest and arrange. More like the PC version . I might be misremembering though.
This isn't really a "simple" question and it deserves its own thread as an interesting topic (although its been discussed before) :)
I agree. I didn't see that thread. Going to drop this in this thread though. It really doesn't belong here.

I making a 1.7.10 modpack for private usage, and I using CoFH Custom World Generation.
I know how to configure a custom generation, but I don't know the default oregen values.
You know, the default cluster size, number of clusters, min and max heights, type of the generator, biome restrictions etc.

So, my question is; how I can get the default ore generation values for every mod? Is there a way to dump it somehow?
Lots are in the configs some where. Their are also wikis and such that might cover it as well. I will go look at a file in Infinity, I need a reminder. "FTB Infinity Evolved\config\cofh\world\" has values in it that seem to cover many of the ores. I doubt they are the defaults. Possibly deleting those files and letting the configs be generated again on next launch might fill in the defaults. Not for sure.

Sorry I am not being more helpful. I hope it at least gives a place to start though.

Edit: Just remembered a mod called "NotEnoughResources-1.7.10-0.1.0-121.jar". I think it has a nei portion that shows all the ores and there gen levels (roughly)

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Just remembered a mod called "NotEnoughResources-1.7.10-0.1.0-121.jar". I think it has a nei portion that shows all the ores and there gen levels (roughly)

Thanks, I never used Not Enough Resources before, I look at it now.I really hope that mod can dump out or at least show it ingame, the default orgen values...
I spent my whole day to find those values, none of them I find in any mod's any config file. I even looked at several modpacks config files, but still not find those DEFAULT values. If there is a CoFH worldgen, than they are already MODIFIED values, sadly...
Also try find them over the web with different search-engines, but no luck.Maybe because English is not my native and simply I can't ask it properly. :D

P.S.: And another big thanks for the advice, that if I delete the configs they regenerate with default values. Why I dind't think of that???
Maybe with that method (if NER not do the trick) and lot of time and patience I can find all the ores I have in my pack.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, I never used Not Enough Resources before, I look at it now.I really hope that mod can dump out or at least show it ingame, the default orgen values...
I spent my whole day to find those values, none of them I find in any mod's any config file. I even looked at several modpacks config files, but still not find those DEFAULT values. If there is a CoFH worldgen, than they are already MODIFIED values, sadly...
Also try find them over the web with different search-engines, but no luck.Maybe because English is not my native and simply I can't ask it properly. :D

P.S.: And another big thanks for the advice, that if I delete the configs they regenerate with default values. Why I dind't think of that???
Maybe with that method (if NER not do the trick) and lot of time and patience I can find all the ores I have in my pack.

I'm glad Deathoftime was able to help. I never really customized packs with 1.7 (just added or disabled mods) and really just started playing with config files for 1.9 and 1.10 packs, since so few were available (I figured I'd find issues I'd created easier that way :D)