Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can I use TiC Casting Channels to flow molten metal from, for example, a Seared Tank into a drain and, thus, back into the Smeltery?
You can, but you'll have to get the fluid into the channel in the first place. This means placing it below the level of one drain, and into a different drain (i believe)

Reactions: Ashendale

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Can taint spread through empty space? I'm playing IE Skyblock, and I'm wondering if I build a platform a couple chunks from my main base and taint it, if it can spread to my base.

Taint should only spread where the taint tendrils can reach. If there is no solid blocks to trail over, it should not spread.

Inferius77

Jun 15, 2015
Hello everyone, I have a simple question for FTB Departed.
No matter what I do, enemies are always spawning in my houses, and stomping around on my farms. I've been reading forums constantly yet I can't find any useful tips for creating an enemy-proof base of operations. Only tips I've read are "half-slabs" and "glass floors." In my test, half-slabs didn't work. And I'd like to be able to make my floors out of something other than glass.
Do walls matter at all? Does the ceiling matter at all? (in relation to enemies spawning inside, not on top.)
Primary question: How does the AoA mob spawning work, and what can I make my base out of?
Secondary question: What floors have all of you used? Please let me know. The more information the better.
@goreae

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
No matter what I do, enemies are always spawning in my houses, and stomping around on my farms. I've been reading forums constantly yet I can't find any useful tips for creating an enemy-proof base of operations. Only tips I've read are "half-slabs" and "glass floors." In my test, half-slabs didn't work. And I'd like to be able to make my floors out of something other than glass.
Do walls matter at all? Does the ceiling matter at all? (in relation to enemies spawning inside, not on top.)
Primary question: How does the AoA mob spawning work, and what can I make my base out of?
Secondary question: What floors have all of you used? Please let me know. The more information the better.
@goreae

How are you using the half-slabs? If you make them the bottom half of the block (as in there's half a block of empty space above them), it's an invalid place for any mobs to spawn.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Half-slabs and such will only prevent mobs from spawning, and only if you don't double them up into full slabs. It won't prevent them from wandering.

Most people periodically hit F7 to check spawnable areas. If you see lines on the ground, mobs can spawn there. Torch the area.

Depending on the mods you use, there may be Magnum Torches or other tools that can prevent mobs from spawning there.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
@goreae
Yeah I've tried everything, and if mobs can spawn on something, they usually will. You need to slab everything, and make sure it's the bottom half of the slab. Another option is to use forge multipart covers and such instead. As long as the multipart doesn't match the level of a full block and covers the surface completely it should work. Also note you need to slab crafting tables, furnaces, any machines you have, etc. They can and sill spawn nasties. But I've also used stairs for flooring. It looks neat and doesn't do any ugly stuff that slabs do.
Half-slabs and such will only prevent mobs from spawning, and only if you don't double them up into full slabs. It won't prevent them from wandering.

Most people periodically hit F7 to check spawnable areas. If you see lines on the ground, mobs can spawn there. Torch the area.

Depending on the mods you use, there may be Magnum Torches or other tools that can prevent mobs from spawning there.
In case you weren't aware, AoA mobs spawn everywhere, regardless of light level. I've had great success with extra utilities magnum torches and chandeliers on other AoA packs, but ExU isn't in this pack unfortunately. But they absolutely do work.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What's AoA? Sorry, I think I missed the most crucial part of his inquiry (er, upon re-reading: he didn't mention AoA but he did mention Departed, which I gather uses some AoA mod or other)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
What's AoA? Sorry, I think I missed the most crucial part of his inquiry (er, upon re-reading: he didn't mention AoA but he did mention Departed, which I gather uses some AoA mod or other)
AoA = Advent of Ascension, the core mod of Departed. It's an adventure PvE mod inspired by terraria. It's really hard to make a base completely safe in departed. You have to slab everything, or make glass floors or the like, or use covers and such, stairs, whatever. Mobs spawn in any biome, at any height, at any light level unless you do something to prevent spawns altogether.
Age of ascension or something, it's used in "hard mode" packs.
I don't know about that. In my opinion, it should only be used if you intend to base the pack around AoA. If you don't, AoA becomes more of an annoyance than anything else.

Inferius77

Jun 15, 2015
To those who questioned; yes, my slabs were bottom half only. However, there were crafting tables and furnaces in there too. That must be where they spawned.

Yeah I've tried everything, and if mobs can spawn on something, they usually will. You need to slab everything, and make sure it's the bottom half of the slab. Another option is to use forge multipart covers and such instead. As long as the multipart doesn't match the level of a full block and covers the surface completely it should work. Also note you need to slab crafting tables, furnaces, any machines you have, etc. They can and sill spawn nasties. But I've also used stairs for flooring. It looks neat and doesn't do any ugly stuff that slabs do.

Stairs! Great idea! So stairs work? (I'm picturing you use them upside down)
So basically, a mob will spawn on any block, as long as the specific block is completely solid/fills all space available in that x,y,z coordinate? So let me know if this is right: Furnace, yes. Crafting table, yes. Slab crafting station, no. Chest, no? Mana pool, no? Bibliocraft shelves, no? Runic altar, no?
What about the TC casting table/basin?

Can mobs spawn on a block with something growing on it? e.g. botania flowers, wheat, carrots? If a mob can spawn on a open blocks path, then I assume they can also spawn on carpets, and plants. But let me know if I'm wrong.

Another option is to use forge multipart covers and such instead. As long as the multipart doesn't match the level of a full block and covers the surface completely it should work.
Now that I understand more about how the spawning works, I'm heavily considering adding forge multipart mod. However your statement here confuses me slightly. Do you mean that I need to make sure I don't cover the very top layer of a block space with a multipart? Also, is there a particular reason you guys didn't add Forge Multipart to the pack in the first place?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So basically, a mob will spawn on any block, as long as the specific block is completely solid/fills all space available in that x,y,z coordinate?

I don't know which mod does it, but in a lot of modpacks, if you press the F7 key, it will toggle on/off the abilty to visually see where mobs can or cannot spawn. A yellow X means a mob could spawn there at night, and a red X means a mob could spawn there at any time day or night. Basically, the simplest method to mob-proof your base is press F7 and spam torches or other light sources until all the X's are totally gone. At that point, you will never get a mob spawn. It's a very valuable feature because nobody likes dying to a mob because there was one block you didn't realize wasn't lit up enough.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Stairs! Great idea! So stairs work? (I'm picturing you use them upside down)
Right-side up. If you place them correctly, they don't even impede movement and you can arrange them into whatever pattern you wish. If you have them upside down they will allow mobs to spawn.
So basically, a mob will spawn on any block, as long as the specific block is completely solid/fills all space available in that x,y,z coordinate? So let me know if this is right: Furnace, yes. Crafting table, yes. Slab crafting station, no. Chest, no? Mana pool, no? Bibliocraft shelves, no? Runic altar, no?
What about the TC casting table/basin?
For the first question yes pretty much, As for if mobs spawn on those blocks, furnace, yes. Crafting table yes. Slab crafting station works like a slab so an upside down slab crafting station will spawn mobs. Chests don't spawn, neither do manapools, most bibliocraft stuff, or runic altars. Casting table and basin I don't know.

A good way to test is with the f7 thing. If you place a block in a dark room or on the surface away from any torches or the like, then if you use f7 and the thing has a yellow or red X on it, it'll spawn mobs. If not, it's safe. You could also take down all the lights in your base and look for Xs. If there are any, mobs will spawn there regardless of light level.

Now that I understand more about how the spawning works, I'm heavily considering adding forge multipart mod. However your statement here confuses me slightly. Do you mean that I need to make sure I don't cover the very top layer of a block space with a multipart? Also, is there a particular reason you guys didn't add Forge Multipart to the pack in the first place?

Multiparts follow the same rule as slabs do, but with an added rule. Imagine a slab on its side, with the long part on the wall. Mobs may still be able to spawn on the block underneath. But if you put a cover on the floor, then it works fine.

As for why FMP wasn't added, it's usually a dependency for one thing or another, but none of the dependant mods are in the pack. There's not even any wiring to cover up so it didn't seem worthwhile at the time. And I'm not really working on the pack anymore so ye

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
What's the detection range of Zombies? It feels like it's about half the map.

I'm playing regrowth, and while I have an underground base, I moved out of it early as in my last (aborted) playthrough, I felt that it quickly became a crutch, so I set a goal to move out as soon as I could. As a result, most of my base is more of a sprawl covering a large area but is well lit, so mobs can't spawn within the area, but I get plenty of walk ups from zombies. Even if I'm standing in the middle of my base, it isn't uncommon for zombies to walk up and start attacking me.

I'm at a level where I can kill all but the full armoured ones in two hits, and they tend not to do any real damage to me, but it's just annoying.

Luckily, creepers seem to have a fairly small detection range.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam

I'm playing regrowth, and while I have an underground base, I moved out of it early as in my last (aborted) playthrough, I felt that it quickly became a crutch, so I set a goal to move out as soon as I could. As a result, most of my base is more of a sprawl covering a large area but is well lit, so mobs can't spawn within the area, but I get plenty of walk ups from zombies. Even if I'm standing in the middle of my base, it isn't uncommon for zombies to walk up and start attacking me.

I'm at a level where I can kill all but the full armoured ones in two hits, and they tend not to do any real damage to me, but it's just annoying.

It's fairly large, and their pathfinding is pretty good. I think it's 48 blocks, but you'd have to check the Minecraft wiki.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
It's fairly large, and their pathfinding is pretty good. I think it's 48 blocks, but you'd have to check the Minecraft wiki.

I looked it up, 40 blocks. It was changed in 1.6.1. That feels, excessive.

I'll have to measure out 40 blocks or so and see if I can light the area up enough so that it's not a problem.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius

Zombies actually don't have too large a radius on their own, but a zombie can call other zombies once they see you. So one zombie sees you and every one within the radius will be gunning for you.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I looked it up, 40 blocks. It was changed in 1.6.1. That feels, excessive.

I'll have to measure out 40 blocks or so and see if I can light the area up enough so that it's not a problem.

Or just build some simple walls to keep the hoard at bay.