Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Can Botania Mana be stored in a Railcraft Tank?

Actually there is a way to use minecarts to move a lot of mana - and you can do it under your current base fairly easily.

I am not on minecraft at present so item names will be exchanged with a rough description in some cases.

You place a mana spreader with the lens that allows sending mana through blocks next to your current mana pool('s), aim it down to a mana pool in an underground room. Then make a tunnel to an room under the area you need the mana and place your rail to that room where there is another mana pool (or more) and a mana spreader pointing up to a mana pool in the required room (again with the lens attached). Use mana loaders to fill and empty the carts at each end. The tricky part is to place a redstone comparator at the destination end that powers the rail only if the pool is below a required level AND using detector rail and AND gates and timers to power the rail off so that the mana has time to load and unload.

I used this in DW20 1.7.10 - I would also point out that I chunk loaded the entire area.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
What is the block/machine that is used to format drives for AE2? I've tried looking up partitioner, and formater, but am lost.. now I've got 2xbasic drives full of "junk"...

Kalagorn

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason Timewood Clocks from Twilight Forest are spawning over my ocean? Some id conflict or something? I am not using a specific modpack, rather a heavily modified Vanilla Plus (felt like playing Vanilla again). Side question: easy way to get the modlist?

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason Timewood Clocks from Twilight Forest are spawning over my ocean? Some id conflict or something? I am not using a specific modpack, rather a heavily modified Vanilla Plus (felt like playing Vanilla again). Side question: easy way to get the modlist?

If using the ftb launcher you can select "edit modpack" and under the "enabled mods" tab there is a list of all the mods you have installed, for curse launcher I have no idea

Kalagorn

Jul 29, 2019
If using the ftb launcher you can select "edit modpack" and under the "enabled mods" tab there is a list of all the mods you have installed, for curse launcher I have no idea
I knew that, but when I tried to copy it there was a lot of formatting. I was asking for an easier way, like through a log or something.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
cell workbench

Related question then. If I format a storage cell to hold ore, then add it to my system, will all my ores move to it? Or will I have to remove and return all the ores in my system to get them where I want them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Related question then. If I format a storage cell to hold ore, then add it to my system, will all my ores move to it? Or will I have to remove and return all the ores in my system to get them where I want them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to remove and re-add them to your system with the formatted cell at a higher priority so they go in there. There are defragmenting system builds on the youtubes that can help you, but for quick and dirty, just take them all out except for 1 empty and the one you have formatted for ore storage, then transfer them back in, adding the blank cartridges as you make them.

Reactions: gold49

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Or use a ME IO port, and stick the formatted disk in that while it's in move to disk mode, it'll suck all your ores into it. I'd put this near your storage though, so you can quickly move it back before you get more ore (or temporarly disable the import of ore while doing this)

Reactions: Everlasting2

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Or use a ME IO port, and stick the formatted disk in that while it's in move to disk mode, it'll suck all your ores into it. I'd put this near your storage though, so you can quickly move it back before you get more ore (or temporarly disable the import of ore while doing this)
Just moving them over without proper defragmenting will result in a huge waste of storage. If he has the need to reformat, I'm assuming he has multiple disks with stuff on them. Taking random ores out of each of them will leave holes that will get filled with more random junk. End up taking up 2 slots in 2 64k drives for 2 pieces of dirt that way.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Note I said Formatted disk, in move to disk mode.

It won't put things in a disk that don't fit into it, and I'm not suggesting moving every unformatted disk he has into the IO port in move to system mode, that is the way things get lost ;P

EDIT: To clarify slightly, it shouldn't move anything that isn't in the allowed list of the disk. If he's defraging, it's probibly worth making a bunch of filtered high capacity drives, and doing them a bunch at a time. Once this is done, switch the mode of the IO port, and empty any lightly filled disks.

Last edited:

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking at John Smith's textures and considering using them. But the modded pack is 32x. I noticed a JSTR 64x overlay and I'm wondering what it does. Does it make the pack 64x?

I'm having a bit of a dificulty finding info on this...

Thanks for anything

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Can the Portal to Alfheim be built underground or is it Surface Only?
I've seen it built successfully underground in the past, and I haven't heard of Vazkii changing that at any point. Dunno why she would.

Pretty sure the only blocks in Botania that actually care about sky access are the Dayblooms and Nightshades. Everything else should work perfectly well underground (although using the rod that flattens terrain underground could cause... problems.)

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I've seen it built successfully underground in the past, and I haven't heard of Vazkii changing that at any point. Dunno why she would.

Pretty sure the only blocks in Botania that actually care about sky access are the Dayblooms and Nightshades. Everything else should work perfectly well underground (although using the rod that flattens terrain underground could cause... problems.)
Nightshades work fine underground, it's only the dayblooms that need to see the sky.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech 5. How to get back fluid from machine's input tank?

You can't get it out (except for the Canning Machine which is different for some reason). The only thing you can do is either make a GT Plunger, which should remove 1 liter of fluid from the internal tanks with each click (however, it does not work properly for me in Infitech2 modpack), or else take your GT wrench and remove/replace the machine. This will also clear out the internal tanks (whether you meant to or not!).

I am extra careful in Gregtech to not just dump any old fluid amount into the machine. It is very easy to only need a liter of a fluid and dump 16 liters into the machine, wasting it. I transfer fluids from drums to Ender IO tanks or can the fluids into Empty Cells sometimes. I try my best not to waste raw materials in GT.

I also always do calculations before I begin a process... sometimes you can require an "oddball" amount of a fluid, like half a bucket... in this case, I will make 32 of the item, which will require 16 buckets of the fluid since an Ender IO tank holds 16 buckets exactly. This way, I don't waste raw materials, even if I might be making more of the final product than I need. I'll always need them in the future, so that's fine.

Last edited:

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the help, guys, Once I've finished Quarrying out every block in at least 4 chunks in all directions from my base, I'll fill in some parts and build a proper area for Botania. But what version of Gregtech are you guys using? Can you provide a good link, please?

Also, I've done some checking up on 2 mods (Optileaves and FPSPlus) and can't find a Forge (.jar File) Version of them. One was listed for Optileaves, but the download site no longer has it. Anyone else have these?

Just thought of something and I think I'm using this topic too much: is there a way to automate the breaking of ore blocks and collect the xp drops?

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
My complaint would be Hungry Nodes over the ocean. They are completely invisible during the day, slightly visible at night, assuming no TC Goggles. I just did all the TC in one modpack, then I started playing another modpack on a server with friends that same week. So obviously I'm not going to re-do all the TC research AGAIN at that point. This is one of my complaints about TC. The first time you do the research, it's awesome. But the fifth time? Or the tenth? Please. It gets old.

I guess I should petition my server-mates to turn off Hungry Nodes. Perhaps I can even save my gravestone from certain annihilation if I can convince them, and retrieve all my stuff and carry on like nothing ever happened. It's just a game, life goes on, but geez, it sure is a party-pooper game mechanic. LOL

You don't necessarily have to play Thaumcraft yourself to defeat a Hungry Node, it's possible to work out several solutions to the problem of getting your gear back. The one thing you should not do is abandon your friends, after all, they're also playing Hard Mode too, for good reason. Someday one of them will become advanced enough to remove or capture Hungry Nodes and will wonder why on earth you quit on them. Personally, since I only play singleplayer, my usual response to finding a Hungry Node is to simply switch to Creative Mode and whack it out of existence. But since you're playing Hard Mode with friends, you have no excuse for not buckling your belt up, and wading through research to get your gear back, that's Thaumcraft! If someone who has already unlocked the requisite research wanted to they could also share their Thaumcraft knowledge with you if that is enabled on the server.

Don't write a Hungry Node off as an excuse to quit on your friends, it's really a lot of fun if you decide to ask for help and get somewhere with your problem, you just have to not be so pessimistic about it. Also, Hungry Nodes are probably going to be there to stay, why not exploit them to their fullest potential as a wand recharge station, or taint them, or something you can do within the current Hard Mode rules you appear to be working against, instead of with?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Reactions: Everlasting2

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Would a fully enchanted Quantum Suit/Chestplate Combo protect against a Hungry Node? Can't the Node be surrounded by Obsidian until you're ready to defeat it?