Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Cool, thanks. How does a router deal with over-flow?
It jams and stops working. If you take a look back on the last page you could do something like ako posted with the bee stuff. When something hits the router that has no where to go it will be pumped out and that could feed into your overflow/random mod crap chest sets.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
It jams and stops working. If you take a look back on the last page you could do something like ako posted with the bee stuff. When something hits the routthat has no where to go it will be pumped out and that could feed into your overflow/random mod crap chest sets.
Sounds good. Thanks, man!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Also, about routers, I'd suggest looking into the Thoroughness, Bandwidth, and Speed upgrades.

Thoroughness will ensure that the router will visit the lsdt barrel visited before moving onto the next one- so if you send in stacks of cobble followed by stacks of wood, all the cobble will go into the first barrel, and all the wood into the second. However, if you then send in more cobble, it'll go into the third barrel. This helps with the spreading things out issue, but doesn't solve it. This is also why it's a good idea to seed (or prime) the barrels with the things you want to store, and block off the remaining barrels.
It also probably makes the router run somewhat faster.

Bandwidth will make the router transport whole stacks at a time, rather than single items- increasing transfer rate by a factor of anywhere between 1 to 64, depending on stack size. Also helps somewhat with the spreading out issue- but Thoroughness does it better.

Speed won't help with spreading out, but will make the router scan around much faster, if not instantaneously. Helps most with large networks, such as barrel walls.

With Bandwidth and Speed combined, the autarchic gate trick (for unjamming jammed routers) could work very well (I'll have to remember that one). With seeded barrels, and those two upgrades, Thoroughness probably only serves to reduce lag a little.

As to organizing your barrels, I can only recommend placing more-frequently used items closer to where you are more likely to be. If the screenshot shows an entrance to your base, with your machines underground, I'd recommend putting iron, wood, copper, etc. near the bottom.

Reactions: WAFFLE OF WAR

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Also, about routers, I'd suggest looking into the Thoroughness, Bandwidth, and Speed upgrades.

Thoroughness will ensure that the router will visit the lsdt barrel visited before moving onto the next one- so if you send in stacks of cobble followed by stacks of wood, all the cobble will go into the first barrel, and all the wood into the second. However, if you then send in more cobble, it'll go into the third barrel. This helps with the spreading things out issue, but doesn't solve it. This is also why it's a good idea to seed (or prime) the barrels with the things you want to store, and block off the remaining barrels.
It also probably makes the router run somewhat faster.

Bandwidth will make the router transport whole stacks at a time, rather than single items- increasing transfer rate by a factor of anywhere between 1 to 64, depending on stack size. Also helps somewhat with the spreading out issue- but Thoroughness does it better.

Speed won't help with spreading out, but will make the router scan around much faster, if not instantaneously. Helps most with large networks, such as barrel walls.

With Bandwidth and Speed combined, the autarchic gate trick (for unjamming jammed routers) could work very well (I'll have to remember that one). With seeded barrels, and those two upgrades, Thoroughness probably only serves to reduce lag a little.

As to organizing your barrels, I can only recommend placing more-frequently used items closer to where you are more likely to be. If the screenshot shows an entrance to your base, with your machines underground, I'd recommend putting iron, wood, copper, etc. near the bottom.
I realized that with my set up, I'll have to have a staircase near the barrels in order to get to things, witch would restrict my movement from the surface into my underground chambers. If you're familiar with Guude, he has a system where you can call an item on a computer and it will show up in a chest next to it. This seems like the perfect solution for me, as it free up space, and it all looks nice. By any chance would you, or anyone know how he did this? If you haven't seen the video, I discovered it on Etho's channel here:

round 29:10, Guude starts giving Etho a brief explanation.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I realized that with my set up, I'll have to have a staircase near the barrels in order to get to things, witch would restrict my movement from the surface into my underground chambers. If you're familiar with Guude, he has a system where you can call an item on a computer and it will show up in a chest next to it. This seems like the perfect solution for me, as it free up space, and it all looks nice. By any chance would you, or anyone know how he did this? If you haven't seen the video, I discovered it on Etho's channel here:

Without watching the video, I could only guess some magic- eh, TECHNOLOGY- with Redpower Sortrons and/or CompoterCraft Interactive Sorters.
I know how to program neither.
However, Applied Energistics does pretty much the same thing- just slap down an ME Controller, Access Terminal, and Chest/Drive (with storage disc(s)), give the controller (a lot of) power (EU or MJ works) and the terminal will show you a GUI similar to the old Creative mode inventory (when it was basically just a list of all the items) showing all the items in the network. And, with the proper (rather expensive) multiblock structure, it'll even handle autocrafting on-demand, just like Crafting Logistics Pipes. Only, with a lot more quartz, but in a lot less space.

Edit: About the staircase: That's why I recommended placing commonly-used stuff near the bottom. Also, instead of stairs, you might look into jetpacks, other forms of flight (Gravisuite, Modular Powersuits), or Arcane Levitators. Or maybe even frame elevators, if they aren't too slow for you.

ShameWillFollow

Jul 29, 2019
Will FTB Ultimate worlds created in Minecraft 1.4.7 work when the pack updates to 1.5.1? I'd like to start a new world ASAP so basically I'm hoping I can start now and easily convert to 1.5.1 when it comes.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I
Without watching the video, I could only guess some magic- eh, TECHNOLOGY- with Redpower Sortrons and/or CompoterCraft Interactive Sorters.
I know how to program neither.
However, Applied Energistics does pretty much the same thing- just slap down an ME Controller, Access Terminal, and Chest/Drive (with storage disc(s)), give the controller (a lot of) power (EU or MJ works) and the terminal will show you a GUI similar to the old Creative mode inventory (when it was basically just a list of all the items) showing all the items in the network. And, with the proper (rather expensive) multiblock structure, it'll even handle autocrafting on-demand, just like Crafting Logistics Pipes. Only, with a lot more quartz, but in a lot less space.

Edit: About the staircase: That's why I recommended placing commonly-used stuff near the bottom. Also, instead of stairs, you might look into jetpacks, other forms of flight (Gravisuite, Modular Powersuits), or Arcane Levitators. Or maybe even frame elevators, if they aren't too slow for you.
I've got the advanced electric jetpack, but I find the hover mode too jittery to effectively collect the items I need. I'm not sure if I have the resources to make that stuff, or the knowledge to get it all to run, but I would like to make that goal. Anyways, thanks for all your help, but if you don't mind, I've got a question regarding gold conductive pipes, where the bottom section distributes power just fine, but then the first pipe that is meant to go up one level contains all the energy until it's this huge blue rectangle. The power doesn't go anywhere, and I don't understand why because both are connected to the same place on the fermenters that are below them.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I
I've got the advanced electric jetpack, but I find the hover mode too jittery to effectively collect the items I need. I'm not sure if I have the resources to make that stuff, or the knowledge to get it all to run, but I would like to make that goal. Anyways, thanks for all your help, but if you don't mind, I've got a question regarding gold conductive pipes, where the bottom section distributes power just fine, but then the first pipe that is meant to go up one level contains all the energy until it's this huge blue rectangle. The power doesn't go anywhere, and I don't understand why because both are connected to the same place on the fermenters that are below them.
Conductive pipes have... issues. Just use conduits. It saves you headaches and power.

HeWhoGameZ

Jul 29, 2019

I use a Sorting Machine to put the correct items into barrels via routers. Then unsorted just goes into 8 Obsidian Chests. I can show screenies if you want.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Will FTB Ultimate worlds created in Minecraft 1.4.7 work when the pack updates to 1.5.1? I'd like to start a new world ASAP so basically I'm hoping I can start now and easily convert to 1.5.1 when it comes.

There is still some risk of having huge volcano-shaped holes in your world. However, Red Power 2 is at least being worked on and it has a lot of fans.

I have a feeling that how Thaumcraft works will change profoundly, but I have faith in Azanor to not delete the everything. He's usually pretty good about not deleting the everything.

You might be missing some very small things like new ExtraBees frames that shorten lifespan not being found in chests that were generated before the update, to which I say meh.

EDIT: Oh, and Twilight Forest is getting a new boss. All the WIP stuff in the reddish towers will be replaced with less-WIP things.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

According to the most recent information, FTB Ultimate (along with all other official FTB packs) will not update to 1.5.x at all. It will update to 1.6 when that comes.

However, there should be an unofficial "1.5 Beta" pack. You might be able to migrate your Ultimate world to it. But how compatible or incompatible it be can only be judged when the pack is actually available. Yesterday Slowpoke stated on his stream that today might just be the day that happens.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I use a Sorting Machine to put the correct items into barrels via routers. Then unsorted just goes into 8 Obsidian Chests. I can show screenies if you want.
I wanted everything to be flush with the terrain, and I didn't think I could do that with a sorting machine. I thought they were too advanced for me too, but now I don't think so. I don't know how you use a router and a sorting machine in combination, though.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I wanted everything to be flush with the terrain, and I didn't think I could do that with a sorting machine. I thought they were too advanced for me too, but now I don't think so. I don't know how you use a router and a sorting machine in combination, though.
The Sorting Machine would just choose which Router to send to, so if you have 4 walls of barrels and the walls aren't connected to each other, then each router only deals with one of the four walls. You will want more than one Sorting Machine, as each one can only classify up to 40 items into six colours I think. After that you have two choices: add another Sorting Machine to the input chest, or set the first SM to colour "everything else" to go to a second SM that does a further round of colour coding, etc. I went the first route, I have 6 Sorting Machines attached ot an Enderchest, and no "default" colour on any of them.

StreetKing

Jul 29, 2019
Q1: What's better turning wood into charcoal and then using it in a steam boiler or directly using wood/planks in a steam boiler ?
Q2: What's better using charcoal/wood/planks directly in generators to produce EU or using them in a boiler then converting MJ into EU ?
Q3: Is the RP2 frame quarry faster than the BC quarry block at max speed ?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Q1: What's better turning wood into charcoal and then using it in a steam boiler or directly using wood/planks in a steam boiler ?
Q2: What's better using charcoal/wood/planks directly in generators to produce EU or using them in a boiler then converting MJ into EU ?
Q3: Is the RP2 frame quarry faster than the BC quarry block at max speed ?

A1: Will change in 1.5+ in unknown ways, but currently planks are slightly better than furnace charcoal. Coke oven charcoal however is slightly better than planks if you also use the creosote oil to fuel another boiler. But you'll need a lot of coke ovens 'cause they're sloooooow.

A2: Boiler + Steam Turbine gives you the best EU return, at the cost of a significant initial investment. Again, pending rebalance in 1.5+

A3: Depends entirely on the size of your frame quarry.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm using BT solar panels to produce MJ, something I've never done before, and is a different approach to using IC solar panels (and gives me a reason to use up all that nikolite!). What's the largest radius solar field I could make (Kinetic Engine is in the middle) before I lose current to resistance?