Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'm aware, but I'm a bit on early game and before I manage to go to the end and etcetera, I wanted a turtle *cough*slave*cough* digging while I set up other things.

But I'm afraid of ruining the landscape.

Side question: how do turtles behave with lava/water?
They're blocks IIRC...

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Yes, I'm aware, but I'm a bit on early game and before I manage to go to the end and etcetera, I wanted a turtle *cough*slave*cough* digging while I set up other things.

Side question: how do turtles behave with lava/water?
they just go though it and as they are a block automatically remove every source block in there way.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is it possible to use Computercraft as an ender quarry? I mean, I wish to mine the hell out of a place without making it a giant hole in the ground.
Use this:
http://www.computercraft.info/forum...vanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/page__st__240
You can set it to filter blocks(stone, dirt, gravel etc.) so it doesnt mine them. It will have to mine every 3rd layer though to get through, but all other blocks that are filtered will be left alone.
If you dont want it to disturb the surface the easiest solution(that I usually use if I dont mine in a separate world) is to set it up below the surface. It will mine from the Y-level it is set up on and down.

The turtle will pass right through any fluids, but will ofc not remove them. But I think when passing through them it removes the source block in that location. But you will be left with some flowing liquids afterwards, so recommend doing it away from your base(in addition to it leaving a swiss cheese structure if set to filter blocks).

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
you said they are blocks, not how they interact with liquids. I just wanted to make sure that the interaction was as clear as possible.
Fine... >.<
Use this:
http://www.computercraft.info/forum...vanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/page__st__240
You can set it to filter blocks(stone, dirt, gravel etc.) so it doesnt mine them. It will have to mine every 3rd layer though to get through, but all other blocks that are filtered will be left alone.
If you dont want it to disturb the surface the easiest solution(that I usually use if I dont mine in a separate world) is to set it up below the surface. It will mine from the Y-level it is set up on and down.

The turtle will pass right through any fluids, but will ofc not remove them. But I think when passing through them it removes the source block in that location. But you will be left with some flowing liquids afterwards, so recommend doing it away from your base(in addition to it leaving a swiss cheese structure if set to filter blocks).
He just wants the turtle to fill up the holes it has mined, assuming blocks to patch up the hole come in externally. It won't be that difficult to code... (says the guy who has not played with CC :p)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
i have 2 computers i want to run agrarian skies 2 on them here are the specs for both the first one has intel(R) core(TM) 2 duo cpu e7500 @ 2.93GHz for the prosesor it has 4.00 gb of ram 32 bit oberating and it runs window 7 professional
the second computer has intel(R) core(TM) 1.5 CPU 661 @ 3.33GHz 1.60GHz 2.00GB and 64-bit java
so am i better using the first computer or the second computer
sorry i am new to the fourms so soory if this is in the wrong place
I doubt any of them will run a medium/large 1.7 modpack satisfactorily sorry. You are really going to struggle running most packs with only 2-3GB of total RAM.

Try something like the FTB Lite packs or 1.4.7-1.5.2 packs instead IMO for a more satisfactorily experience.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Fine... >.<

He just wants the turtle to fill up the holes it has mined, assuming blocks to patch up the hole come in externally. It won't be that difficult to code... (says the guy who has not played with CC :p)
BC filler would be much easier to run afterwards then I think.
Problem with having the turtle dig and fill back in as it goes would be inventory space. Carrying around filling material would eat up space for ores/gems etc. resulting in it having to make too many dropoff/refilling returns. Would be WAY too slow and costly on fuel.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Problem with having the turtle dig and fill back in as it goes would be inventory space. Carrying around filling material would eat up space for ores/gems etc. resulting in it having to make too many dropoff/refilling returns. Would be WAY too slow and costly on fuel.
2 ender chests, one for filler and one for dropoff

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thanks for the tips.

New question: wooden kinesis pipes connected to steam dynamos (Infinity 1.5.1). My machines need power and the pipes do not output unless I sort of kickstart the dynamo. Dynamos and pipes have their buffers full, but output nothing, even when they have a machine that is below 50% or empty. If they have some fuel running they resume outputting.

What I am I not getting?

hErbs

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 1.3.1

How do I turn off initialization running every time? I've seen the init run in FTBLite3, but only the first time. In DW20 it seems to run every time? It must just be an argument or something, but I've been googling and searching whatnot for days, and now I'm just going to give up and ask here.

Hope you can help :) (Btw ... I have no crashes .. I just don't want to wait for init every .... darn .... time .. :p)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
... I wanted a turtle *cough*slave*cough* digging while I set up other things.
The basic problem is that the turtle will need to place more blocks than it digs. So, you need to replenish its stock of blocks. It's an interesting challenge.

Lets break it down.

1. Place an ender chest in slot 1
2. Set something up to empty another identical ender chest but keep two specific slots full of cobble. I'd use Steve's Factory Manager, but you could just as easily use another turtle that sits in between an ender chest and an ME2 Interface.
3. Place the Ender Chest above the turtle
4. Grab a stack of cobble into slots 2 and 3
5. Break the Enber Chest back into slot 1
6. Dig down, move down
7. Place a piece of cobble from slot 2 above the turtle
8. Repeat 6,7 until bedrock is hit
9. Dig forward, move forward
10. Turn around, place a piece of cobble in front
11. Dig up, move up
12. Place a piece of cobble from slot 3 below the turtle
13. Repeat 11,12 until target height is hit, e.g 64
14. Turn around, dig up just in case
15. Place the Ender Chest above the turtle
16. Dump everything into the ender chest
17. GOTO 4

This just quarries in a straight line. Quarrying an area is a little more tricky, and is subject to interruption on server re-starts or chunk unload, so I'd set up a phalanx of identical turtles that all just mine straight forwards. Chunk loading could be done by a co-ordinator turtle that follows the fleet, but keeping them all together might be difficult. You'd need some kind of GPS really, and then you're into range limit problems.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Alright, thanks for the tips.

New question: wooden kinesis pipes connected to steam dynamos (Infinity 1.5.1). My machines need power and the pipes do not output unless I sort of kickstart the dynamo. Dynamos and pipes have their buffers full, but output nothing, even when they have a machine that is below 50% or empty. If they have some fuel running they resume outputting.

What I am I not getting?

Dynamos require fuel to output. They will not output if they have consumed all of their fuel.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
The basic problem is that the turtle will need to place more blocks than it digs. So, you need to replenish its stock of blocks. It's an interesting challenge.

Lets break it down.

1. Place an ender chest in slot 1
2. Set something up to empty another identical ender chest but keep two specific slots full of cobble. I'd use Steve's Factory Manager, but you could just as easily use another turtle that sits in between an ender chest and an ME2 Interface.
3. Place the Ender Chest above the turtle
4. Grab a stack of cobble into slots 2 and 3
5. Break the Enber Chest back into slot 1
6. Dig down, move down
7. Place a piece of cobble from slot 2 above the turtle
8. Repeat 6,7 until bedrock is hit
9. Dig forward, move forward
10. Turn around, place a piece of cobble in front
11. Dig up, move up
12. Place a piece of cobble from slot 3 below the turtle
13. Repeat 11,12 until target height is hit, e.g 64
14. Turn around, dig up just in case
15. Place the Ender Chest above the turtle
16. Dump everything into the ender chest
17. GOTO 4

This just quarries in a straight line. Quarrying an area is a little more tricky, and is subject to interruption on server re-starts or chunk unload, so I'd set up a phalanx of identical turtles that all just mine straight forwards. Chunk loading could be done by a co-ordinator turtle that follows the fleet, but keeping them all together might be difficult. You'd need some kind of GPS really, and then you're into range limit problems.

This seems interesting to implement. Never touched Computercraft, but I have basic coding taught, so I should manage this by early 2020. I do have problems structuring the problem as you've so kindly done. Thanks.

Dynamos require fuel to output. They will not output if they have consumed all of their fuel.

Magmatic Dynamos work in the same way? Or should I use Buildcraft steam engines to go around the problem?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
This seems interesting to implement. Never touched Computercraft, but I have basic coding taught, so I should manage this by early 2020. I do have problems structuring the problem as you've so kindly done. Thanks.

Magmatic Dynamos work in the same way? Or should I use Buildcraft steam engines to go around the problem?
Good luck with the CC.
And all TE dynamos work the same way. A pain in the ass, but I guess we have to live with it.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck with the CC.
And all TE dynamos work the same way. A pain in the ass, but I guess we have to live with it.

I remember playing Monster and my Magmatic Dynamos were drained of their energy after the magma was out of the conduits and consumed.

What's "CC"?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I remember playing Monster and my Magmatic Dynamos were drained of their energy after the magma was out of the conduits and consumed.

What's "CC"?
That's because the feature (if you want to call it a feature) was added in 1.7.10, not sure when.
And CC is ComputerCraft.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That's because the feature (if you want to call it a feature) was added in 1.7.10, not sure when.
*insert buzzer noise* They were also like this in 1.6 :p
Dynamos are stupid in the fact that they cannot output energy unless they are making energy (which sort of defeats the purpose of having internal power storage really)

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
And CC is ComputerCraft.

Alright, thanks. So you think Buildcraft engines will work as I want?

That is: have available power in the engine until it goes down (say 50%) and kick starts my harvester by way of gates to produce more power until they're topped off.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
*insert buzzer noise* They were also like this in 1.6 :p
No they weren't. @Ashendale said all the power drained, and I had first-hand experience as well. They drained fully. Unless it was a later version, of course...
Alright, thanks. So you think Buildcraft engines will work as I want?

That is: have available power in the engine until it goes down (say 50%) and kick starts my harvester by way of gates to produce more power until they're topped off.
Yup, BC engines should work fine.