Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
Using the Ultimate pack.
I'm trying to setup a system where a chest keeps feeding items into a machine, but my problem is the machine tends to be too slow. So the items being pulled from the chest stuffs the machine and then overcrowds the buildcraft pipe which tosses everything on the floor.
Is there any way to avoid this? There's multiple machines I'd like to do this for, so I'm just wondering if there's a general solution.
Another good way is with Gates. Set up a Gold gate to detect when the specific item you want inputted to this machine is not present (or an Iron gate to detect when the inventory is empty in general) and output a pipe wire signal. Set a gate on the wooden pipe, connect the two with pipe wire, and set the gate on the wooden pipe to pump when it has the pipe wire signal (either by emitting redstone to turn on an engine, or by using an autarchic gate and turning on energy pulser when pipe signal true).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What is GregTech? As in does it add any important stuff?
GregTech is a highly controversial mod that does two things: it changes a lot of recipes to make a load of stuff harder to make, for example blocks of metal have to be made in a compressor instead of just crafted, and macerators need diamonds instead of flint (I think), and also adds a load more machines. It disables the basic Mass Fabricator and adds its own Matter Fabricator that takes a load more power. It also adds some higher tier generation and storage. The recipe changes can be turned off in config, so you can just use it for the additional machines, but none of the FTB packs have "easy mode" config by default.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech is a highly controversial mod that does two things: it changes a lot of recipes to make a load of stuff harder to make, for example blocks of metal have to be made in a compressor instead of just crafted, and macerators need diamonds instead of flint (I think), and also adds a load more machines. It disables the basic Mass Fabricator and adds its own Matter Fabricator that takes a load more power. It also adds some higher tier generation and storage. The recipe changes can be turned off in config, so you can just use it for the additional machines, but none of the FTB packs have "easy mode" config by default.
It also makes some things way more fun or, surprisingly, much easier. Also adds automation, which is not used much by users at the moment, but has its own merits. But the biggest draw of gregtech is the "oh my god so seriously endgame" content. Do you have to balls to get it? It's true, endgame in Gtech is serious brag material.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Is there such a thing as a portable charging station where I can charge my jetpack and nano armor? I've been carrying lava cells, a geothermal generator, and a wrench when I know I'll be out for a while (e.g., mining sheldonite in the End), but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing aside RE-batteries, I'm afraid... you can however save a slot by bringing a batbox and a lithium batpack. That's 600,000 EU (two lappacks worth) in one item that can charge and discharge in a batbox, which can be broken without requiring a wrench. With the jetpack having 30k energy storage, that's 20 full recharge cycles. Or 40 if you bring a second lithium pack in the slot you would have kept the wrench in...

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Is there such a thing as a portable charging station where I can charge my jetpack and nano armor? I've been carrying lava cells, a geothermal generator, and a wrench when I know I'll be out for a while (e.g., mining sheldonite in the End), but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.
You can always build an autorecharge ender pouch -> chest setup.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Hello again everyone, I have a simple question and a not so simple question.

I'll start with the easy one. Instead of using Industrial Steam Engines for my boilers, I want to use the Steam Consumer from the Power Converters mod. It's not really clear on the Power converters post on the MC forums, Is there a limit to the amount of steam it can accept? I am using liquiducts so I don't think there should be a problem getting it to the converter.

Edit- Moved the second question to support as suggested, Sorry was in in a rush to post it without my boss noticing me not working XD

Thanks in advance for the help, this is truly an epic thread 102 pages o_O all full of useful info.
-Anubis

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod in FTB Ultimate that allows the admin to alter the duration of days and nights? (in a config file or something)
If not is there a Forge compatible mod for that in 1.4.7 that I can easily add to my server mod list?

I've been googling this and I can only find very old mods.

The only one I know of that does that is TerraFirmaCraft, but it does a lot more than just alters the duration of a day/night cycle.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
What will an Iron Furnace show up as in a Router Machine Filter screen? I can't find it. IRON appears to be an Iron Chest, as it disappears when I break it. *Edit* Hm, doesn't appear to be possible, I tried in a new creative mode with just a Router, Furnace, and Iron Furnace. I've replaced my Iron Furnaces with regular cobblestone ones and it's all fine now.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
There's a large area of my base in which my Repair items won't repair. I have a Silverwood directly above my Thaumcraft research room but it's only a small node, I think I made a mistake in planting it there. I have to travel a long way to find a different aura area. What shoud I do? Plant more silverwoods around my base so that the nodes are close enough to connect and recharge each other? I have plenty of saplings and am gradually upgrading the Silverwood node above my lab.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019

This is the best way I've found, charge-o-mat is a bit advanced though. Can be done with an mfsu but requires slightly fiddlier setup

[DOUBLEPOST=1365856009][/DOUBLEPOST]
There's a large area of my base in which my Repair items won't repair. I have a Silverwood directly above my Thaumcraft research room but it's only a small node, I think I made a mistake in planting it there. I have to travel a long way to find a different aura area. What shoud I do? Plant more silverwoods around my base so that the nodes are close enough to connect and recharge each other? I have plenty of saplings and am gradually upgrading the Silverwood node above my lab.

Sounds like the repair enchant keeps draining your node to zero. you could try growing the node by planting/chopping down more silverwoods very close to the first one. You may need to widen your chunk loading too so that your node can replenish itself from nodes that are further away, that has seemed to help me in the past.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
The reading isn't reaching zero. I have moved away about 100m from the node, it's currently reading 214/281 and my Hoe of Growth isn't repairing. If I move closer, it starts repairing. If I move away to another node's area, it starts repairing.

Hmm, so it wont repair at the heart of your base or at 100m away, but if you move a bit closer or go to another node it does repair?

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod in FTB Ultimate that allows the admin to alter the duration of days and nights? (in a config file or something)
If not is there a Forge compatible mod for that in 1.4.7 that I can easily add to my server mod list?

I've been googling this and I can only find very old mods.
it depends on what you want to do, but you can make a setup with a lightsensor from redpower to detect when the night hits and send that to a command block to change the time.
if you want a shorter night you hook the system into a state cell fist to delay the swtich

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Q: What's this?
2013-04-13_15.03.48.jpg

Hint: Look at what I'm holding in my hand. I think it may have something to do with NEI's "Highlight tips shown" feature. Also sometimes happens with those cinder flowers in the desert. Are those from Thaumcraft as well?

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Q: What's this?

Hint: Look at what I'm holding in my hand. I think it may have something to do with NEI's "Highlight tips shown" feature. Also sometimes happens with those cinder flowers in the desert. Are those from Thaumcraft as well?

Never seen anything like that before, and yeah cinderpearls are from thaumcraft too.