Any way to sort items into chest automatically?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aiirzy

Jul 29, 2019
So I know RedPower adds a sorting pipe. But in FTB already is there a way to do this?
Ex: Putting Ores into a chest then the ores going to the macerator then to the furnace. Into a chest.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
The two ways that we are all used to using (Logistics pipes and redpower machines) are not in yet. There is diamond pipes, a very basic and brute force way to sort with the basic buildcraft pipe system.

Take a look at what Etho (Ethoslab) is doing on the mindcrack FTB server for an example of how to use the regular pipes with machines in an effective way.

Reactions: Aiirzy

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If you use factorization, you can kinda cheat for some single purpose storage. I add in the bc additional pipes for the advanced insertion pipe, and just run a line down the top of a bunch of factorization barrels. The barrels will only accept one type of item, and with the insertion pipes, the items will keep flowing down the line until it hits a valid inventory.

krakatoa485

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't gotten to it yet, but I intend to use railcraft loaders and unloaders for sorting purposes. You can set filters on the so they only unload ertain items.

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
There is always the BC diamond pipes. You could build a sorting system like Sips and Sjin lol it's bulky, but it works.

Reactions: ff255away

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
We'll, there are logistic pi... oh.

We'll, redpower has this nifty... oh.

Buildcraft diamond pipes are pretty epic if... oh.

Edit: Apparently Logistics Pipes is indeed updated to 1.4.5 :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Based on your example, you don't need any sorting at all. Just a method to deal with overflow (easy enough).
Diamond pipes work fine, but you also have Railcraft item unloaders/loaders and Factorizations Routers.

In time, there will be RP tubes and TC3 golems.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Just a method to deal with overflow (easy enough).
To Aiirzy: Add an iron pipe at the "dead" end of the pipeline and the "leftovers" will travel forever. Just make sure, there's another iron pipe that keeps the items in the spot (e.g. above the macerators, w/e) and you won't have any overflow. Apart of that: Yeah, until RP2 and co are in, its diamond pipes, routers+barrels and maybe railcraft.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft pipes and an army of stone golems?

Wait, not stone. Wood brainy ones. Aren't those the ones that you can have pick up only specific items?

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
I think that's not Kraft's that's at 1.4.5 I think that's the unauthorized spin off that isn't going to be used in the pack.
since logistics pipes are from what i understand open source you cant really have a "unauthorized" version of it. still i belive that you are correct in that they have said that they are not going to include it in the pack atleast not atm

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft loaders/unloaders and routers are the only way to get the precision you're used to in red power. until red power :D

Diatonic

Jul 29, 2019
Well I came upon this topic as I was trying to sort for my quarry and the best way to filter items in FTB is to use Diamond Piping. Very excellent when done right.In addition to that you can check out the list of them on the FTB wikia that is ever so SEOed on google.
Not sure If i like it yet. ( Looks like it needs a lot of building.)
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Pipes <<<<< That is the list. Most of them are clickable to a better explanation. ( Diamond Piping!) Happy building MineCrafters!

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Another vote here for routers, but you really need to find a logic matrix programmer in a dungeon before you can upgrade them effectively to work with machines, plus they're a little confusing to set up with multiple upgrades. But when it works it's magic.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
It might be semantics, but it still feels important. It wouldn't be illegal, but it wouldn't be blessed. It's good that it is open source, it is good that somebody else is also working on a fork, but unless Kraft gives up the project, I'm sure we all agree it's his baby.

I do not agree. It isn't a matter of semantics. In fact Krapht has given explicit authorization for forks. It is right there in the license chosen.

The license: http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/MMPL-1.0.txt

Sections 4 and 5. The user can decompile and modify the code. That is, in fact, the point of open source software. Forking is a good thing and should be lauded, not shunned.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Again, it is permissible, I'm not saying it isn't permitted, but it still isn't anybody elses but Krafts, it's still his code and his work.

Yeah, that's true. It's not like Minecraft is Notch's code or anything and Kraft modded from that.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
What? I don't quite understand what you're saying? The guy who updated the logistics for 1.4.5 isn't saying that it is his or anything, he's updated it because (and this is an assumption to be honest) he is wanting to use it in a 1.4.5 world and was nice enough to provide others with it's code.

It does not appear to be detrimental to Kraft, rude nor taking anything away from him either.

No need to champion people, I'm sure he is able enough to do it himself if he felt it was needed ;)

Aiirzy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the responses, a lot have suggested the routers and barrels. I think that's the way I'm going to go!

Skyguy7567

Jul 29, 2019
Routers and barrels are very bad for starting a sorting system. Unless you have every barrel filled with the intended item, the setup will put one or two items like dirt into every single empty barrel. Very annoying. Ended up using pneumatic tubes. They are the smartest.