An Exploration modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like MFR.
There. I said it. And not because it doesn't add many many nice goodies. But the snowball thread got me thinking about my builds, and how mods like MFR alter the direction of my play.

Tech mods, or Mods that add power systems, always try and "balance" the power systems by making them use fuel. But, to counter that, they add automated ways of gathering the resources required to generate the fuel. And to balance this, the fuel usage of the tech mods are ramped up to account for the fact that fuel is available en-mass.

And I find that getting into these mods then means I spend all my time working on automating farms of varying types, expanding out into automated mob spawners, automating enchanting and so on.

And I realize that, the reason I started minecraft, to explore this vast world, is going entirely unsatisfied.

So, for 1.7+, I want a modpack that, while it can have tech mods, should encourage exploration over automation. I don't want automatic mining. But I do want AE, because ME storage is just oo bloody cool. I don't want MFR or BC or Forestry, because they all assume, and encourage, massive investment in closed loop automated production<->energy systems. I do however want bees, and butterflies and breeding.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You aren't forced to use mods just because they are there.

I can't play a game like that. If I'm in the middle of a boss fight, and there's a big button labeled "Press this to insta-win!" (and it presumably does just that), it takes away from my ability to immerse and enjoy the experience.

In that respect, I can agree with mr Becke. And he's not so much tearing down any mods as encouraging creation of other types :)

Wursti

Jul 29, 2019
I can't play a game like that. If I'm in the middle of a boss fight, and there's a big button labeled "Press this to insta-win!" (and it presumably does just that), it takes away from my ability to immerse and enjoy the experience.

In that respect, I can agree with mr Becke. And he's not so much tearing down any mods as encouraging creation of other types :)
There is a simple option called "disable" in the ftb launcher. Make use of it. Thats what it was made for.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
An adventure modpack... sounds amazing! Though, if there was one I'd have to say the two things I want most are:

1. Terrain like pre 1.8 beta Minecraft. A terrain where there are giant mountain ranges mixed into plains and all that stuff that made seeds like Glacier beautiful. I don't want a realistic terrain, I want a magically breathtaking terrain.

2. Reasons to explore, rare and dangerous rougelike dungeons, treasure maps and hunts, and items you can only get on rare journeys. I want to experience the sheer glee that I feel when a noob first finds a diamond when I find these things. I want these items you find to mean something great, something that shows how dedicated you are to task known as... "catch 'em all"

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I really wanted to try making something like this and kinda thought of maybe taking a hint from terrafirma craft with huge ore veins that are spread far, and wide, When you go mining, you're in it for a gooooood long time... Maybe starts you off with forestry bag's to help you with this... (also some fidling to take away from the machine to win type of feel forestry has)

Unique dungeons that are beyond a box, such as chocoquest.. Maybe ATG's terrain gen aswell, since I herd it smooths things out, and makes mountains a bit large, and more magnificent... I really do wanna work on this though....

possible modlist so far...
Spice of life
Pams
Solstice
Forestry (automatic farms disabled possibly?)
ATG
Biomes O plenty
Botania
Witchery
COFH core for editing ore gen...
Better Dungeons
Ticon
wildcaves 3
Coolers
Just sorta a rundown of what it could be for starters... Maybe that mod that let's you make warp pages to places... That way you can return to a place you like.. Also other suggestions welcome.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'd recommend not having any minimap mods come with the pack.
Better for exploring with a compass and actual navigation skills, rather than "exploring" by putting crosshairs on waypoint and pressing W.​

Theres a couple of mods that add airships. [Way cooler than jetpacks]
pChan's Airship has an inofficial forward port [Open Source- so perms are ok- just remember to buy pChan a beverage should you meet him/her IRL]
Also- Nature Overhaul. (Forward Port). It brings your world to life as forests grow and die around you.

@KillerRamer Take a look at PFAA:G. I think it covers the ore gen you're looking for.

@1SDAN Take a look at BetterWorldGen.

minusthedrifter

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually been working on something like this myself for the past two weeks but it's highly unlikely I'd ever release unless there is a super substantial demand and I manage to work out all the kinks. Currently I'm plagued with completely random crashes that refuse to generate a log since it's a hard freeze that requires a ctrl+alt+del process close. Naturally without a log trouble shooting is difficult. In all likelihood the best I could do would be releasing a list and configure file for people. Or better yet, I could release what I have now since I'm sorta stumped and someone with more experience could work it out.

The pack itself though is pretty much exactly what you describe, heavy adventure focused with very light tech and some housing mods as well as Minecraft Comes Alive.

No AE though as I feel it's a bit to heavy for an adventure pack. Not only is is pretty resource intensive it also takes quite a bit of work to set up. All of that, I feel, eventually leads to an anchor binding you to one place and discouraging exploring. I do have a few tach mods though like Thermal Expansion and Mekanism for starters.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I'd recommend not having any minimap mods come with the pack.
Better for exploring with a compass and actual navigation skills, rather than "exploring" by putting crosshairs on waypoint and pressing W.​

Theres a couple of mods that add airships. [Way cooler than jetpacks]
pChan's Airship has an inofficial forward port [Open Source- so perms are ok- just remember to buy pChan a beverage should you meet him/her IRL]
Also- Nature Overhaul. (Forward Port). It brings your world to life as forests grow and die around you.

@KillerRamer Take a look at PFAA:G. I think it covers the ore gen you're looking for.

@1SDAN Take a look at BetterWorldGen.
I agree on that, or posibly going with mapwriter... Then again I think mdiyo added something so that vanilla maps can be displayed in the corner like a minnymap...

The airship feels a bit slap together craftable for me... I'd probabl go with Archemede's ship, as it's actual construction of a ship, block by block.

I remember Nature Overhaul... I think it's been long since dropped however... But it did kinda go haywire...I wouldn't mind a successor to it..

I... I kinda like PFAA:G, but at the same time the external tiers and the textures themselves kinda put me off of it...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Woah, nature overhaul got ported to 1.6? Niiice. Liked it's features, was sad face that is appeared abandoned. Will need to check that out.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
When you say exploration what do you mean? There's two facets that enhance exploration that I am aware of; One being scenery new things to see, biome and terrain gen mods can achive this and the other being things to find mods like BetterDungeons and RoguelikeDungeons or any other mod that adds things can enhance this aspect.

I would suggest Betterdungeons for a good explorations mod, it's only drawback being that it's incredibly laggy when it's generating a dungeon which it appears to do after the chunks it needs generates. Roguelike dungeons is a bit more stable in that regard but it doesn't add much new things to see it's all vanilla (interacts well with Lycanites and a few other mob mods though), BetterDungeons has like 5 or something new types of enemies and items that can only be attained in a dungeon and for some reason it integrates with Ars Magica.

Also I don't know what this has to do with MFR though... It's never prevented me from exploring, in fact it kind of allows me to explore more often as it reduces the drudgery giving more "free time". But to each their own.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
An adventure modpack... sounds amazing! Though, if there was one I'd have to say the two things I want most are:

1. Terrain like pre 1.8 beta Minecraft. A terrain where there are giant mountain ranges mixed into plains and all that stuff that made seeds like Glacier beautiful. I don't want a realistic terrain, I want a magically breathtaking terrain.

2. Reasons to explore, rare and dangerous rougelike dungeons, treasure maps and hunts, and items you can only get on rare journeys. I want to experience the sheer glee that I feel when a noob first finds a diamond when I find these things. I want these items you find to mean something great, something that shows how dedicated you are to task known as... "catch 'em all"
amplified?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, what mods are there that add ruins / structures to explore: I know of

Roguelike Dungeons
Better Dungeouns
Ruins
Dimensional Doors

Ive seen some lets plays with epically large structures (but, sadly using the same block over and over so the result is rather boring)

Twilight Forest and Atum are relatively well fleshed out alternate dimensions to explore.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
So, what mods are there that add ruins / structures to explore: I know of

Roguelike Dungeons
Better Dungeouns
Ruins
Dimensional Doors

Ive seen some lets plays with epically large structures (but, sadly using the same block over and over so the result is rather boring)

Twilight Forest and Atum are relatively well fleshed out alternate dimensions to explore.

I class Dimensional doors as a dimension mod, but it still enhances exploration. Plus it has a trippy style those eyes look like they have seen nothing, like pure nothing.