An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
What I meant was maybe different "difficulty" levels. Like "hard" and "easy." That way the damage the monster does scale up. Sorry if I was confusing before. :p

If you don't want easy just don't make power armor and any of a number of other items. These items are designed to make content easy, even trivial.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So... if it only spawns beneath the bedrock, how does one typically encounter it as other than interesting ambiance?

I know there's mod-added things like the Deep Dark that have natural holes, but normally the surface world doesn't. And it is my understanding that bedrock breakers (rotarycraft) don't normally break out the last layer. Has that changed? Because that might be awesome.
Its main function is as ambience. Combat is merely a secondary feature.

Geminicreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I think a "phosphor" filter (It's one of the shaders in vanilla minecraft) on the monster would look cool. Maybe have it (a ghost-like, immaterial version of it, anyway) watch you from dark caves, a pair of faint, glowing eyes in the distance? Getting too close to its ghost-ish form makes it disappear, teleport, etc. until you let it come up from the void. Adverse effects on your world until he is defeated would also be interesting (after you let it free). I've been waiting for this for a while now, can't wait to try it out!

If these ideas make no sense, ignore them. If you think they are awesome and that I deserve a medal for my genius, then go home reika, you're drunk.... xD

Quick! Someone write a creepypasta!!

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think a "phosphor" filter (It's one of the shaders in vanilla minecraft) on the monster would look cool. Maybe have it (a ghost-like, immaterial version of it, anyway) watch you from dark caves, a pair of faint, glowing eyes in the distance? Getting too close to its ghost-ish form makes it disappear, teleport, etc. until you let it come up from the void. Adverse effects on your world until he is defeated would also be interesting (after you let it free). I've been waiting for this for a while now, can't wait to try it out!
As far as I know, the shaders only exist in 1.7+, and the monster has no eyes or body.

...then go home reika, you're drunk.... xD
Not likely.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Can you imagine if that thing broke torches as it came after you. The noises are scary enough for me but if it started getting dark plus the noises I would freak out.

Reactions: dwappo

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
So... if it only spawns beneath the bedrock, how does one typically encounter it as other than interesting ambiance?

I know there's mod-added things like the Deep Dark that have natural holes, but normally the surface world doesn't. And it is my understanding that bedrock breakers (rotarycraft) don't normally break out the last layer. Has that changed? Because that might be awesome.

Well... Now that i think about it, this thing is a bit scary. So, where exactly will this thing spawn? Any area known as "The Void" or will it only spawn in the overworld? Fighting this thing AND the Ender Dragon would be a bit difficult with its blindness effect. Also, Myscraft Void Worlds.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm needs a King Void in The End. Fights the Ender Dragon as well. Muahahahahahha

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well... Now that i think about it, this thing is a bit scary. So, where exactly will this thing spawn? Any area known as "The Void" or will it only spawn in the overworld? Fighting this thing AND the Ender Dragon would be a bit difficult with its blindness effect. Also, Myscraft Void Worlds.
It is blocked from spawning in the end for that reason, but I can do nothing about MystCraft worlds, because they are unique every time.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
You are swiftly becoming one of my favourite mod authors, Reika. Anyone who mods explicitly for the purpose of inspiring fear in players is a person I can wholeheartedly support, and this mod does an excellent job of it by sticking to the best way to inspire fear: never show the monster. I'll definitely be including this without telling my players in the future should I ever host a server (which I never have, but hey it's the thought that counts).

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You are swiftly becoming one of my favourite mod authors, Reika. Anyone who mods explicitly for the purpose of inspiring fear in players is a person I can wholeheartedly support, and this mod does an excellent job of it by sticking to the best way to inspire fear: never show the monster. I'll definitely be including this without telling my players in the future should I ever host a server (which I never have, but hey it's the thought that counts).
I hope it makes it into FTB with similarly little warning. >: )

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

If you want to scare your players, include the weeping angels mod without telling.

When I have that mod installed there is NO other mob that scares me.

Last edited:

Geminicreeper

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, the shaders only exist in 1.7+, and the monster has no eyes or body.quote]

Yes. This is true. I mentioned that shader so that you could look at it in 1.7 and understand what I was talking about. I'm just talking about an effect on the mob itself, but if it isnt possible, then whatever. (I have no idea what the limits of mob modeling/rendering are, so I don't know if what I suggest makes any sense) Thanks for responding! (Not many mod authors do that for me, even if it is just to tell me my ideas won't work.)

When you get a chance, maybe some custom attacks would be cool, along with that easy/hard mode option somebody mentioned earlier. Perhaps hard mode means that he has a specific place in the world where he can be summoned, like a big, dome shaped room where some ritual is done (I could think more on this if you wanted, but I doubt you will.) and the floor (The bottom bedrock layer) falls away, leaving you with just a few platforms/walkways. Killing it gets you the ability to escape.

Well, there's another round of random, incoherent thoughts. If you want, I can think up some cool ritual process and build the structure, even set up the fight and demonstrate it to you on video (It will take a while, school is a bit tough at the moment) if you think this is an idea you would proceed with. Note: This would be overworld only, the deep dark, etc. are its domain.

Some lore you could use (Not edited, but i'll get to it eventually):

The void monster, as it is called by those who have accepted its existence, is the guardian of the Lost Ways. The Lost Ways are passages travelable between worlds. The ways are dangerous for humans and other living beings, for the void that they are hidden within is a contantly moving area of space. People lost in its depths find themselves streched to impossible size, crushed down into the size of an atom. They almost always die.

But the wise ones long ago have found a way, the Way, to reach another world without death. Soon after, the resources from any world were for the taking, leaving some places drained of all life. The wise ones decided that they needed to guard the Ways from any unwary travellers seeking riches from other worlds. They created a creature, hungry and savage, from the negative energies in the void. It was known as nulla bestia, the void monster. The protector of the Ways.

I'll type more later, but for now its back to doing schoolwork... ugh.

And for some reason, its all one quote

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to scare your players, include the weeping angels mod without telling.

When I have that mod installed there is NO other mob that scares me.
Hm... seems like something out of the SCP, reminding me of the concrete monster, http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173. Yes yes, I know, this Weeping Angels thing is from Doctor Who, but I don't watch television in any capacity so this is an easier comparison to me, haha. I am a bit curious how this mod interacts with other mods and in a server setting though. I do like the feel of it, I just hope it also has good sound design like Reika's eldritch abomination here. ^.^

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
By the way Reika, is there any kind of expected time of arrival on the release for this little gem? Looking forward to injecting it into the personal pack I'm presently assembling. ^.^