Am I the only one who cringes......

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
No, On StaffCraft. I am running around with fortune 3 (or 4 can't remember) on my power tool. Coal isn't a problem at all.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Xeno's Reliquary allows you to make dragon eggs with 72 diamonds.

Awesome, I can build a bounce house full of ender dragon eggs. Tell new players that one of them has 100 diamonds inside it, they just have to catch the right one.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I call pretty much anything mined from the earth infinite. Because the world, for all intents and purposes, is infinite. And if you somehow managed to mine 4096000000000000 (maths are not precise, but the number is friggin huge, I assumed 32m x 32m blocks) blocks all the way down to bedrock, just make an age, and do it again. Or preferably, make an age first and chew that up, instead of your overworld.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I try and do what you do early in game. I try and use charcoal for everything and save my coal. Later on, I use coal for when it is preferred. I got a silk-touch, repair II, pickaxe as well as now a fortune III, repair I pickaxe, and now have essentially unlimited coal. I have over 1k coal ore blocks to be turned into thorium or fortune III'd for moar coal. I don't really use coal coke all that much, as charcoal can be used in place of it, and coal is much more valuable for use as coal dust with various parts of GT.

I cringe myself when I resort to using it, but for all practical purposes though, it doesn't really matter. I do bring a stack of wood, and make more torches with it as necessary while mining. I've gotten so much wood from my small SC tree farm, that I've had my farm turned off for a RL week, and still haven't gone through all the wood and charcoal I have, although I am starting to run a little low on saplings.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I use coal because I usually either live in a Meadow (barely any trees), or don't want to clear cut a nice looking biome near me. Also, coal is very easy to find. And with a Fortune 3 pick, running out is not an easy task.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
If our definition of renewable is 'can be acquired infinitely', then the only thing that isn't renewable would probably be single-acquirable items like the dragon egg, as mentioned above. That's just the nature of Minecraft.

But, that's not how I define it. I consider a renewable resource to be something that I can fabricate infinitely within the confines of my base, such as biofuel, wood, cobble, etc. If we include soul shards, that list expands quite a ways, and I believe actually includes diamonds, if you use coal from wither skeletons to make industrial diamonds.

renewable is stuff that you can get in a closed area, for example, cobwebs are not, meanwhile the dragon egg is, since you can craft the tome of alkahest and use 72 diamonds (from renewable UU matter) to craft it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I used to make coke ovens, but...the time it takes to process a stack of coal is just a little crazy, and I mostly only use it for early-game fuel and/or my first few bits of steel from a RC blast furnace. Hell, once I get the data values into the config, I plan on making a PowerCraft redwood tree farm. After that...I'll never want for wood or fuel ever again. Hell, I already have, like, 25 stacks of redwood saplings waiting for me at home. If I just wanted to, I could feed all that into a vanilly IC2 generator bank and have ludicrous amounts of early power. In modded Minecraft (and -especially- with redwoods and Treecapitator) fuel is a true non-issue.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I used to make coke ovens, but...the time it takes to process a stack of coal is just a little crazy.

It is crazy. But if I feel Im going to need a lot of coke I just build a few of them. Set up a liquid void pipe system to them to keep them from stopping and just run them while I do other stuff.

I should take a stab at automating them at somet point. But I currently dont have a huge need for coke.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Too many mods make the game way too easy to even care about wasting coal. Lots of mods need major nerfs.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It is crazy. But if I feel Im going to need a lot of coke I just build a few of them. Set up a liquid void pipe system to them to keep them from stopping and just run them while I do other stuff.

I should take a stab at automating them at somet point. But I currently dont have a huge need for coke.
I find that last sentence far more amusing than I probably should, lol.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I get coal in the beginning of the game. Then when I cook enough food, I go out and cut down an entire forest (I play with treecapitator) and use the remaining coal to convert everything to charcoal. Then I have Charcoal for days.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Coal has become less important over time. back when playing whatever version Tekkit ended on, diamonds were critical, so coal got used for it.

Now it's renewable, exp for fortune is easyer to get, quarrys run faster, and diamonds as a whole are less limiting what you can do. Early diamonds can be skipped entirely between block breakers, cells, Pick of the Core, e.t.c.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I don't bother making diamonds with coal. And solar panels. But I don't burn it for two reasons
1) My only power source is boilers. I don't wanna burn in a boiler something that is not renewable (without mining more and more stuff).
2) I need steel. Lots of steel. I'm lazy to search the Nether for Stronghold. I use Industrial Blast Furnace for making steel. 2 coal = 1 steel.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
My OCD prevents me from burning coal as long as I have charcoal to burn. Somehow feels 'wrong' to burn something that I only need 64 of to turn into a precious diamond! ;)

That I have over 32 stacks of diamonds and wel over 30k of coal doesn't matter. :p

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I use coal as fuel as early as possible.

Why? Because it gives more heat than charcoal. And unless I set up a tree farm, I have to interrupt my mining to get charcoal, while coal comes while I mine.

I've only made industrial diamonds once, and regretted it. By the time you have enough coal for it to be worth the effort, you should have other, better sources of diamond generation.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
My OCD prevents me from burning coal as long as I have charcoal to burn. Somehow feels 'wrong' to burn something that I only need 64 of to turn into a precious diamond! ;)

That I have over 32 stacks of diamonds and wel over 30k of coal doesn't matter. :p

Are diamonds precious in nodded minecraft? I'm usually sitting on more than I need even without automatic mining. Doubly so if Gregtech is installed. And with Tinker's Construct, you don't even really need it for tools.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm lazy to search the Nether for Stronghold. I use Industrial Blast Furnace for making steel. 2 coal = 1 steel.
You probably know that, but I'll write it anyway, just in case - theres a way to a blast furnace that does not need a nether stronghold for it, using a TE induction furnace to create the needed bricks.