All Becomes Grey [SIGNUP AND OOC THREAD] [ROLEPLAY] [POSSIBLE MATURE CONTENT]

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Name: Corbin (last name is unknown)

Age: Unknown, presumed simply by appearance to be in his mid 20s

Magiks: Shadow

To the few who have seen him in broad daylight, he has bright, straight blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. Almost exclusively wearing black in a multitude of assortments; long robes, or tight, unrestricting suit, or even a ninja-like outfit. His nose has been broken, but it isn't TOO noticeable. Not that it matters, as you will likely never see him anyway.

He is almost like Batman, if the comparison can be made. He likes to melt into to the shadows, both literally and figuratively. He does not dislike. He hates. He does not like. He loves. There is no such thing as middle ground to him. You are either with him, or against him. If you have the option between run and hide, run. If you can get on his good side (somehow) you have one of the most valuable allies ever. If you get on his bad side, you have one of the most dangerous enemies ever.

Corbin has never had a happy moment in his live. The closest to that he's had is satisfactory. His father was never home, his mother didn't love him, his siblings hated him as a monster, and the town treated him as a freak, saying that he was a disgrace to the family but he doubted that was the only reason. His only solace was that his father seemed to love him, even if he wasn't around. Then one day, he just disappeared. He was kidnapped, as there was a trail, and definitely left by humans as any other creature would have no reason to keep him alive. Corbin tried to follow, but he ran unto a pack of orcs. In his fury he unleashed Magik he never knew himself to have. Dark Magik, if only a little. It was just a small amount, but it was uncontrolled enough to send the orc captain into an frenzied state, attacking anything. The orc made it to the town, and set fire to several buildings before the town guards finally took him down. The town linked the fiasco tho Corbin and held him captive. Corbin looked for an opportunity to escape, and two years after the disappearance of his father, Corbin too disappeared. He continues to search for his missing parent, to no avail. But he will find him, by any means necessary.

Equipment: Blades, and lots of them. His favorite seems to be his trusty scythe, which has been at his side since his father disappeared.

Stats (25 total):

Health: 2
Armour: 2
Agility: 4
Strength: 2
Accuracy: 5
Magical skill: 6
Magical defence: 4

Melt away: Can become a shadow and is invisible for the duration of the ability. Lasts two turns. Cooldown for three.

Animate (name is DEFINITELY not final): Can turn shadows into physical beings to attack his enemies.
Health: 3
Armour: 1
Agility: 5
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 0
Magical Defense: 0
Consume: Corbin can absorb all shadows/darkness in the area to make himself more dangerous physically. Cooldown for three turns.
Health +2
Armour +2
Strength +4
Magical skill -4
Magical defense -2

This is what I have so far, any other suggested changes?
I think ability balancing will have to be done by Cheese - I reckon some kind of stacking buff to attacks from stealth would fit. I am a bit nervous about the shadow balance but that's for Cheese to decide. Hope to see him soon ingame once Cheese finishes exams!

Reactions: triggerfinger12

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Name: Corbin (last name is unknown)

Age: Unknown, presumed simply by appearance to be in his mid 20s

Magiks: Shadow

To the few who have seen him in broad daylight, he has bright, straight blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. Almost exclusively wearing black in a multitude of assortments; long robes, or tight, unrestricting suit, or even a ninja-like outfit. His nose has been broken, but it isn't TOO noticeable. Not that it matters, as you will likely never see him anyway.

He is almost like Batman, if the comparison can be made. He likes to melt into to the shadows, both literally and figuratively. He does not dislike. He hates. He does not like. He loves. There is no such thing as middle ground to him. You are either with him, or against him. If you have the option between run and hide, run. If you can get on his good side (somehow) you have one of the most valuable allies ever. If you get on his bad side, you have one of the most dangerous enemies ever.

Corbin has never had a happy moment in his live. The closest to that he's had is satisfactory. His father was never home, his mother didn't love him, his siblings hated him as a monster, and the town treated him as a freak, saying that he was a disgrace to the family but he doubted that was the only reason. His only solace was that his father seemed to love him, even if he wasn't around. Then one day, he just disappeared. He was kidnapped, as there was a trail, and definitely left by humans as any other creature would have no reason to keep him alive. Corbin tried to follow, but he ran unto a pack of orcs. In his fury he unleashed Magik he never knew himself to have. Dark Magik, if only a little. It was just a small amount, but it was uncontrolled enough to send the orc captain into an frenzied state, attacking anything. The orc made it to the town, and set fire to several buildings before the town guards finally took him down. The town linked the fiasco tho Corbin and held him captive. Corbin looked for an opportunity to escape, and two years after the disappearance of his father, Corbin too disappeared. He continues to search for his missing parent, to no avail. But he will find him, by any means necessary.

Equipment: Blades, and lots of them. His favorite seems to be his trusty scythe, which has been at his side since his father disappeared.

Stats (25 total):

Health: 2
Armour: 2
Agility: 4
Strength: 2
Accuracy: 5
Magical skill: 6
Magical defence: 4

Melt away: Can become a shadow and is invisible for the duration of the ability. Lasts two turns. Cooldown for three.

Animate (name is DEFINITELY not final): Can turn shadows into physical beings to attack his enemies. (Whatever cool down Cheese sees fit)
Health: 3
Armour: 1
Agility: 5
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 0
Magical Defense: 0
Consume: Magik attack, shoots a ball of shadow that, after hitting something, sucks up light and life in the immediate area, similar to a black hole. (Damage is whatever Cheese sees fit for no cooldown)

This is what I have so far, any other suggested changes?

Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my RP, would you like a quick guide to RPing, or have you been in an RP before?

I have some suggestions for various parts of your character:

Firstly, Corbin's magik is still referred to as dark in his backstory, but it is actually shadow magik.

Secondly, in his appearance we are told that few people have seen him in broad daylight, is this due to the fact that he is out of the public eye searching for his father, or because of some other reason.

Additionally, his personality may have two problems. Firstly, Batman does not exist in this world, so the comparison takes away from your character a little, but, more importantly, playing a character with such a simple but extreme personality gets boring very quickly. I'd recommend giving Corbin a much more balanced personality.

You are allowed 30 stats now. Feel free to add 5!

I'll have some more suggestions as soon as possible, especially to do with your abilities :)

Reactions: triggerfinger12

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my RP, would you like a quick guide to RPing, or have you been in an RP before?

I would love a guide! I have never done RP before, and I would hate to mess something up!!!

Also, I edited my post; here is the changelog:
Changed stats:
+1 to Health, Armor, Agility
+2 to Strength

Removed comparison to Batman
Changed the part referencing Dark Magik (I realize that it's cheeky to say that he doesn't remember, but is supposed to be sort of implied that he accidentally used Dark Magik :V)

The part about him not being seen is a mixture of that, and him keeping to the shadows. Tbh, I just started with an idea of an antihero that I have had for years, but have never fully realized, and that would account for many of the inconsistencies in my writing(s). :/

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I woulbad-roleplay1.png
have never done RP before, and I would hate to mess something up!!!

Also, I edited my post; here is the changelog:
Changed stats:
+1 to Health, Armor, Agility
+2 to Strength

Removed comparison to Batman
Changed the part referencing Dark Magik (I realize that it's cheeky to say that he doesn't remember, but is supposed to be sort of implied that he accidentally used Dark Magik :V)

The part about him not being seen is a mixture of that, and him keeping to the shadows. Tbh, I just started with an idea of an antihero that I have had for years, but have never fully realized, and that would account for many of the inconsistencies in my writing(s). :/
http://i2.wp.com/forumroleplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/bad-roleplay1.png

The image in that link summarises several things to avoid doing. Beyond that though, I would say that one thing that it is worth doing is to try and make sure you always think and write how Corbin would. Even though that may be detrimental to the outcome, as long as it makes sense IC nobody will think you're a dick. Our characters might think Corbin is a dick, but as you can see IC drama happens.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
image.jpeg
Name: Markus Tresstia
Magiks:Lighting
Appearance (picture or description):
Up top
Personality:
"Why are you trying to label me with useless things like personality when I can be studying the arcane and finding the path to ultimate power. Unless you can help me, then I'm a hardworking, intelligent person who will stop at nothing to get my goals." That is what he would say, but my commentary includes him being proud and greedy, wanting to merge with an endless source of power, which he thinks can be achieved using lighting magik.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):
He was born to a family of traders, with and older sister. She was 15 at the time, and married of to some mercenary. He was too young to know her at the time. When he was 6, the first weird thing happened to him. He was angry his mother wouldn't let him stay up late. He grew angry, and out of the blue,lightning struck her garden. When he was 8, he first began studying Lightning Magik. He was 11 when his younger sister was born. His mother died shortly afterward from suicide caused by depressing. A year later, his house was broken into. In order to silence his crying sister he covered her with a pillow. She suffocated. His father blamed him, disowned him, and kicked him out. A old sympathetic lightning Mage took him in, and Markus restarted his lightning magik training. He studied for 7 more years before his master died. That was the day he learned how to avoid death and pain. He had to join with raw magik, become magik, and become a god
Equipment:
A book on arcane relics, some simple robes, and a mid-sized house
Stats (30 total):

Health:4
Armour:3
Agility:4
Strength:2
Accuracy:3
Magical skill:8
Magical defence:6

Magical abilities (3 total):
Living pain
for two rounds, gain +2 on health, but loses 2 magik skill

Feel my pain

On his next attack, he adds the amount of damage he's taken to his damage

Ascention

For one round, His magical defense takes over for his armour

Edit: I suck at typing on phones

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I like this guy's personality - there's some psychopathic character traits in there which should add some spice to the RP.

The backstory could use some work though. You say he starts his training at 8, yet he later restarts it. Why did he stop?

You say his mother killed herself due to depression - that's very out of the blue. You'd expect there to be some period of time where the family lived with her depression as well as maybe some kind of cause (there isn't always but right now it reads as generic bad stuff)

Who broke into the house? Based on what Cheese has said human on human crime is very rare, so it would have to be someone very desperate or a raid from another race.

In terms of abilities feel my pain is O to the P. The closest you're likely to get is +1 Magik skill for each lost Health.

Living pain is also kinda useless in my eyes - because that 2 health goes away again it achieves very little.

Just going to flag this up again - Magik skill cannot be used for basic attacks. Putting that many points into it is a waste if you have nothing that directly rolls off it. I'd swap living pain for an ability that can deal some magikal pain

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
I like this guy's personality - there's some psychopathic character traits in there which should add some spice to the RP.

The backstory could use some work though. You say he starts his training at 8, yet he later restarts it. Why did he stop?

You say his mother killed herself due to depression - that's very out of the blue. You'd expect there to be some period of time where the family lived with her depression as well as maybe some kind of cause (there isn't always but right now it reads as generic bad stuff)

Who broke into the house? Based on what Cheese has said human on human crime is very rare, so it would have to be someone very desperate or a raid from another race.

In terms of abilities feel my pain is O to the P. The closest you're likely to get is +1 Magik skill for each lost Health.

Living pain is also kinda useless in my eyes - because that 2 health goes away again it achieves very little.

Just going to flag this up again - Magik skill cannot be used for basic attacks. Putting that many points into it is a waste if you have nothing that directly rolls off it. I'd swap living pain for an ability that can deal some magikal pain

I'll fix it up tomorrow, because it's 2 A.M. for me. Thank you for your advice

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
http://i2.wp.com/forumroleplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/bad-roleplay1.png

The image in that link summarises several things to avoid doing. Beyond that though, I would say that one thing that it is worth doing is to try and make sure you always think and write how Corbin would. Even though that may be detrimental to the outcome, as long as it makes sense IC nobody will think you're a dick. Our characters might think Corbin is a dick, but as you can see IC drama happens.
This is very good advice, though powerplay is pretty difficult in this RP as a combat system exists. Godmodding in this RP would generally be something such as controlling another person's character in any way. This includes things such as describing how another character reacts to something. There is a sort of grey zone with things such as your character doing something too quickly for anyone else to react. This should be avoided unless there is strong justification for this (such as your character maybe having magical powers which make them very fast).

Other than that, just try to play your character, and don't get angry at people for in-RP interaction unless it is out of character for them, and even then speak to them calmly about it. Above all, write to the best of your ability, and have fun!

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
This is very good advice, though powerplay is pretty difficult in this RP as a combat system exists. Godmodding in this RP would generally be something such as controlling another person's character in any way. This includes things such as describing how another character reacts to something. There is a sort of grey zone with things such as your character doing something too quickly for anyone else to react. This should be avoided unless there is strong justification for this (such as your character maybe having magical powers which make them very fast).

Other than that, just try to play your character, and don't get angry at people for in-RP interaction unless it is out of character for them, and even then speak to them calmly about it. Above all, write to the best of your ability, and have fun!
You've confused godmodding and powerplay mate.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, due to the stats system and Cheese balancing abilities, the two main no-nos are metagaming and retconning (useful case study in one of the more recent posts though where Chuck flicked flames at Fiona's gloves - Real wrote that he flicked flames, but it was Eruantien who wrote about them hitting. All agreed, no powerplay. Had Chuck said he succeeded in burning the gloves, that WOULD have been powerplay.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
View attachment 33765 Name: Markus Tresstia
Magiks:Lighting
Appearance (picture or description):
Up top
Personality:
"Why are you trying to label me with useless things like personality when I can be studying the arcane and finding the path to ultimate power. Unless you can help me, then I'm a hardworking, intelligent person who will stop at nothing to get my goals." That is what he would say, but my commentary includes him being proud and greedy, wanting to merge with an endless source of power, which he thinks can be achieved using lighting magik.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):
He was born to a family of traders, with and older sister. She was 15 at the time, and married of to some mercenary. He was too young to know her at the time. When he was 6, the first weird thing happened to him. He was angry his mother wouldn't let him stay up late. He grew angry, and out of the blue,lightning struck her garden. When he was 8, he first began studying Lightning Magik. He was 11 when his younger sister was born. His mother died shortly afterward from suicide caused by depressing. A year later, his house was broken into. In order to silence his crying sister he covered her with a pillow. She suffocated. His father blamed him, disowned him, and kicked him out. A old sympathetic lightning Mage took him in, and Markus restarted his lightning magik training. He studied for 7 more years before his master died. That was the day he learned how to avoid death and pain. He had to join with raw magik, become magik, and become a god
Equipment:
A book on arcane relics, some simple robes, and a mid-sized house
Stats (30 total):

Health:4
Armour:3
Agility:4
Strength:2
Accuracy:3
Magical skill:8
Magical defence:6

Magical abilities (3 total):
Living pain
for two rounds, gain +2 on health, but loses 2 magik skill

Feel my pain

On his next attack, he adds the amount of damage he's taken to his damage

Ascention

For one round, His magical defense takes over for his armour

Edit: I suck at typing on phones

RJ isn't entirely correct here about living pain, though I would likely buff it, as the two health would act as defence to attacks during that time. He is, however, correct about personality, backstory, and needing an ability to use magik skill for.

In order to fix this I'd suggest changing feel my pain to a magik attack with +1 to magik skill for every life lost. This would have a 1 turn cooldown. If you want an ability based around losing health, putting some more stat points into health might be a good idea too.

I would allow ascension to last for 2 turns.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
@triggerfinger12

If you really want to have an ability similar to animate just tell me, but I'd recommend having a completely different ability, as summoning abilities are hard to balance, and are usually OP or completely useless. If you did want it I'd recommend giving it abilities that allow it to fulfil a specific role but it also gets weaker over time or it dies after a duration, but I would still recommend changing this if you don't want to spend ages balancing it.

Melt away can definitely be buffed. You could have some kind of crit mechanic relating to your accuracy, or you could just have some straight buffs on exiting invisibility.

Consume is simple: Magik attack. No cooldown.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, due to the stats system and Cheese balancing abilities, the two main no-nos are metagaming and retconning (useful case study in one of the more recent posts though where Chuck flicked flames at Fiona's gloves - Real wrote that he flicked flames, but it was Eruantien who wrote about them hitting. All agreed, no powerplay. Had Chuck said he succeeded in burning the gloves, that WOULD have been powerplay.
)

u dropped this

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
@triggerfinger12

If you really want to have an ability similar to animate just tell me, but I'd recommend having a completely different ability, as summoning abilities are hard to balance, and are usually OP or completely useless. If you did want it I'd recommend giving it abilities that allow it to fulfil a specific role but it also gets weaker over time or it dies after a duration, but I would still recommend changing this if you don't want to spend ages balancing it.

Melt away can definitely be buffed. You could have some kind of crit mechanic relating to your accuracy, or you could just have some straight buffs on exiting invisibility.

Consume is simple: Magik attack. No cooldown.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Aww, I quite liked consume-temporary physical buff in exchange for magik ability.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
RJ isn't entirely correct here about living pain, though I would likely buff it, as the two health would act as defence to attacks during that time.
Wait, what?

Let's run this through.

Markus has 4 health.

He uses Living Pain, buffing his health by 2.

He now has 6 health.

He takes two damage during the buff.

He now has 4 health.

The buff ends, removing the +2 to his health.

He has 2 health - exactly the same as if he never used the buff.

The only utility currently is if he's on low health it might buy one more turn in which he could be healed, but other than that it is quite literally a waste of a turn and of MgS.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Wait, what?

Let's run this through.

Markus has 4 health.

He uses Living Pain, buffing his health by 2.

He now has 6 health.

He takes two damage during the buff.

He now has 4 health.

The buff ends, removing the +2 to his health.

He has 2 health - exactly the same as if he never used the buff.

The only utility currently is if he's on low health it might buy one more turn in which he could be healed, but other than that it is quite literally a waste of a turn and of MgS.
I guess that cheese sees it more as a shield? Thus he goes to 4 + 2 shield. If he takes 2 damage he is at 4 health and when the shield ends he is thus still left at 4 health thus effectively healing him for 2.