Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've just killed 2 withers and am now wondering, what to do with the 4 division sigils I got. I know I can get cursed earth for a uber-grinder, so...any suggestions how I can make it?

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
Couple of bee questions:

1) anyone have a good list of what traits I should be looking to add to my production/short life template life and what bees I can get them from? Still looking for a few.. fastest and max fertility especially.

2) what bees should I be end-gaming for? currently on my list: diamond, emerald, auric, quantum.. basically looking for any useful products

3) any good solutions as to storage integrated through AE? I have tried a storage bus on a magical filing cabinet for the princesses but am running into a bunch of problems. First, I'd have to add each type of princess manually. Second, the princesses are not stacking.. even though they are all the same genotype. Also tried a fuzzy export bus.. no dice. Would like to get something similar for drones but I can't put them in filing cabinets so not sure how I'll do that.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Couple of bee questions:

1) anyone have a good list of what traits I should be looking to add to my production/short life template life and what bees I can get them from? Still looking for a few.. fastest and max fertility especially.

2) what bees should I be end-gaming for? currently on my list: diamond, emerald, auric, quantum.. basically looking for any useful products

3) any good solutions as to storage integrated through AE? I have tried a storage bus on a magical filing cabinet for the princesses but am running into a bunch of problems. First, I'd have to add each type of princess manually. Second, the princesses are not stacking.. even though they are all the same genotype. Also tried a fuzzy export bus.. no dice. Would like to get something similar for drones but I can't put them in filing cabinets so not sure how I'll do that.
1) Wintry bees have max fertility. As I recall, 'fast' is about the best production you can get (from Cultivated bees) without very late game bees.
2) You've picked the ones I would have chosen, although I'm not sure how useful emerald is.
3) No clue. I've had no trouble using filing cabinets for bees. Make sure you use the normal one, not the advanced filing cabinet.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Couple of bee questions:

All of them? Bees only have 13 Alleles, and almost all of them are helpful in various ways.

Valiant Bees are a good source of Rain / Nocturnal / Cave.
Jaded bees get you maximum working range.
Temperature and Humidity Tolerance as "Both_2" or better means that you can work with almost any bee species in a "normal" biome with no additional cooling / drying / humidification.
Fertility 4 from Majestic bees if/when you are needing drones for a handin / breeding (But fertility 1 for when you are over churning drones into dna)
Effect: Beatific / Explorer / Something fun from imperial / Jaded - because why not.

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
1) Wintry bees have max fertility. As I recall, 'fast' is about the best production you can get (from Cultivated bees) without very late game bees.
2) You've picked the ones I would have chosen, although I'm not sure how useful emerald is.
3) No clue. I've had no trouble using filing cabinets for bees. Make sure you use the normal one, not the advanced filing cabinet.

yea i'll try again but the normal filing cabinet wasn't working for me for either drones or princesses.. the magical one was for the princesses

I'll grab "fast" from cultivated and fertility from wintry.. will keep looking for fastest as I progress![DOUBLEPOST=1400741326][/DOUBLEPOST]
All of them? Bees only have 13 Alleles, and almost all of them are helpful in various ways.

Valiant Bees are a good source of Rain / Nocturnal / Cave.
Jaded bees get you maximum working range.
Temperature and Humidity Tolerance as "Both_2" or better means that you can work with almost any bee species in a "normal" biome with no additional cooling / drying / humidification.
Fertility 4 from Majestic bees if/when you are needing drones for a handin / breeding (But fertility 1 for when you are over churning drones into dna)
Effect: Beatific / Explorer / Something fun from imperial / Jaded - because why not.

Got Rain/Nocturnal/Cave from Robust!

Is maximum working range that useful?

I have temp 2 but not humid 2.. hmm..

is there any other use for DNA outside of the quest? I haven't really found any so far but I was planning to breed thousands of drones for the bragging right quests.

effect i did none.. just because I got it from a robust

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
What i see other people do is make a separate AE network for their bees, so it doesn't clog up their main system. Connect the 2 systems via interface / export bus, so the main network can access the bees

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

If you are using the bees for tree pollination and/or have an industrial setup where you are placing the hives indoors, the max working range can let the hive operate with flowers further away / gather pollen from trees further away.

Gendustry makes it so easy to create and apply a template... why not?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
yea i'll try again but the normal filing cabinet wasn't working for me for either drones or princesses.. the magical one was for the princesses

I'll grab "fast" from cultivated and fertility from wintry.. will keep looking for fastest as I progress![DOUBLEPOST=1400741326][/DOUBLEPOST]

What @Chris Becke said...tree pollen. Also, many, many flowers :p

is there any other use for DNA outside of the quest? I haven't really found any so far but I was planning to breed thousands of drones for the bragging right quests.
No use for DNA that I found, assuming you use Gendustry.

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping to just use a filing cabinet but I guess a subsystem would do.

do bees that are identical genetically but have different 'generations in captivity' not stack in a filing cabinet though?

If you are using the bees for tree pollination and/or have an industrial setup where you are placing the hives indoors, the max working range can let the hive operate with flowers further away / gather pollen from trees further away.

Gendustry makes it so easy to create and apply a template... why not?

ah guess so.. haven't got to tree breeding yet but may as well, as you said.

Homarid

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the instruction Marsupilami I will give it a go. It sounds like I was just confused by the bug you mentioned.

As for the idea that it isn't worth the hassle Lurgen, I guess I will see. I happened to have operated a real nuclear reactor and this whole process is interesting to me in a very geeky personal way.

Homarid

Jul 29, 2019
I got the turbines all set up and it seems to be working. Thank you for the help Marsupilami. The reactor I have apparently can output up to 8200 mb of steam, which can run 4 of those 7x7x16 turbines and a very small 5x5x5 one. Totaling the power output up I get over 95k rf/t from my same 9x9x4 reactor. As a bonus it actually uses less fuel than before. However all this is only true if I manage to build all those turbines. I will still get more power from one turbine so I will build it anyway and make more turbines when I have the resources so that fuel consumption goes down.

cXLezc7.png

pEyfJCH.png

bdyM3a4.png

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Just a tip that may be known, you can use a terrain smasher with a chest attached to mine cobalt/ardite without a pickaxe at all.

Also from my testing it seems that nether quartz does not blow up if mined with a silk touch pick.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
No use for DNA that I found, assuming you use Gendustry.
I'm fairly certain you can manufacture bees/saplings from liquid protein and DNA using Gendustry, but I'm not sure how useful that is in AS (seems like it'd be useful for making extra princesses in a non-AS world, though.)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain you can manufacture bees/saplings from liquid protein and DNA using Gendustry, but I'm not sure how useful that is in AS (seems like it'd be useful for making extra princesses in a non-AS world, though.)

The extra princesses are always ... not pristine, so not so much.

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I've decided to complete some of the "Bragging Rights quests". Already got the "Thermal Fanboy" (Easy once you get metal production automized and an ender pearl grinder) and "Vanilla Weirdo" (The only one that was a big more complex was the beacon; having killed 2 withers recently, there was no excuse not to complete it) and now I'm trying to do "McAurey's Culinary Master". One small problem: Bananas continue to elude me. I have a whole buhc of other seeds and saplings, but no banana.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I've decided to complete some of the "Bragging Rights quests". Already got the "Thermal Fanboy" (Easy once you get metal production automized and an ender pearl grinder) and "Vanilla Weirdo" (The only one that was a big more complex was the beacon; having killed 2 withers recently, there was no excuse not to complete it) and now I'm trying to do "McAurey's Culinary Master". One small problem: Bananas continue to elude me. I have a whole buhc of other seeds and saplings, but no banana.
Use bonemeal on grass and sickle down the grass that grows.

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
Use bonemeal on grass and sickle down the grass that grows.

i'd recommend either automating this OR setting up a 9x9 grass are with a vacuum hopper overhead. Fill up your inventory with cobble, take bonemeal and a sickle and go at it. Let the vacuum hopper pick everything up and send it to nearby chests (you'll need quite a few). The odds of getting any particular seed is fairly low because there are so many so I just took 10 or so stacks of bonemeal and went at it. I seemed to have gotten pretty much everything that way.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
You can use Forestry bananas as well (you can bonemeal the leaves, though <100% drop rate). With Gendustry, they're pretty easy to breed.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping to just use a filing cabinet but I guess a subsystem would do.

do bees that are identical genetically but have different 'generations in captivity' not stack in a filing cabinet though?

ah guess so.. haven't got to tree breeding yet but may as well, as you said.
You can use a filing cabinet for princesses but not drones. Also the princesses from MB and EB have a different ID than forestry bees so of you use regular filing cabinets you will need 3. Your best bet would be to use a magic filing cabinet. If I am remembering this right the filing cabinet can't store non stackable items, so you will need to store the drones somewhere else.

Side note: would it be possible to hook up a filing cabinet to an ME network? I need to know for... reasons...