Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
The recipe works just fine, i made a few myself about an hour ago

Hmm... I'll have to try again. I've started a new map (going for the skyblock this time). I'll have another shot. I've got some nets in the water and trying to hang around there enough that I'll hopefully get some fish.

As a side note, which is annoying, I'm playing on Linux, and the first two times I started, I rage quit in about 2 minutes. The fact that half blocks don't respect the sneak moving is annoying, but on Linux for some reason, every now and again, the movement derps, you keep moving after taking your finger off the key, not something you want on a skyblock map. As a result, I'm building everything out of full blocks, yeah, it's more expensive to expand, but early on you have sufficient wood, and then later on, cobblestone etc coming out of your ears. So far out of the reward bags, I've got the coloured bricks, and the wood ones. So if nothing else, my platform will be nice and colourful.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
I'd recommend making sure you're using a 64-bit version of Java if on a 64-bit OS, and looking at your Java settings. The XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:permSize=128m commands in particular can often help with that sort of performance issue.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
In my new map right now, I'm waiting for it to rain. In my first map, I'll admit that I got impatient and just used NEI to turn the rain on. Early game, this is probably the most annoying thing.

What do others do to solve this? I'm thinking of building a simple mob farm that will allow mobs to spawn overnight so I can get their drops during the day.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
In my new map right now, I'm waiting for it to rain. In my first map, I'll admit that I got impatient and just used NEI to turn the rain on. Early game, this is probably the most annoying thing.

What do others do to solve this? I'm thinking of building a simple mob farm that will allow mobs to spawn overnight so I can get their drops during the day.
You don't 'need' rain. You can make glass bottles early on which you can use to move water into the barrels.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
For things like rain I have no problems with cheating them in. I play games for fun, not to sit around for several real-life days waiting for the RNG to allow me to continue.

Randomness does NOT equal difficulty.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I built a few open blocks tanks then came across the barrels from extra utilities. Very, very nice. 256 buckets of fluid along with portability. Normally, I would use the railcraft tanks, but of course, it isn't in the pack.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for creating lots of seared stone? I think I want to make my base out of it, but it is a bit time consuming to create as you can only cast it in a smeltery. It takes 18 cobble to make one seared stone. The only thing I can think of is to make a really tall smeltery so you can melt a bunch of stone at once. Seared brick and road isn't too bad as you can make it from clay, sand and gravel, but regular seared stone, pavers and chisled varieties can only come from the smeltery.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
I built a few open blocks tanks then came across the barrels from extra utilities. Very, very nice. 256 buckets of fluid along with portability. Normally, I would use the railcraft tanks, but of course, it isn't in the pack.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for creating lots of seared stone? I think I want to make my base out of it, but it is a bit time consuming to create as you can only cast it in a smeltery. It takes 18 cobble to make one seared stone. The only thing I can think of is to make a really tall smeltery so you can melt a bunch of stone at once. Seared brick and road isn't too bad as you can make it from clay, sand and gravel, but regular seared stone, pavers and chisled varieties can only come from the smeltery.

If you don't mind the janky look you can use seared cobblestone. A total of only 10 blocks of cobble per seared cobblestone. The trick is to put a piece of cobble in the casting basin before you empty the molten seared stone into it. This can easily be automated with hoppers. Probably item ducts as well. (Might have a timing issue as the)

Madraver2011

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this has been posted before, but what is a good, efficient way to mass produce vanilla dyes? i.e Rose Red, Dandelion Yellow etc :)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this has been posted before, but what is a good, efficient way to mass produce vanilla dyes? i.e Rose Red, Dandelion Yellow etc :)
Probably the best is to send colored wool into a TE pulverizer. You have a small chance to get dyes this way. You can also get them as a byproduct of bonemealing grass blocks. You could bonemeal grass, then send a flow of water to collect and harvest all the plants. Push it all to a collection point and import into your storage system. Stop the water, then bonemeal again.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand passive mob spawning mechanics, and/or how to use to "Spawn pad" in a skyblock...

i.e. If I kill all the passive mobs, new ones will spawn, up to some kind of cap. If I decide to start a breeding population, how large can it be for the spawn area to continue spawning / how far away would I need to keep my pens to ensure passive mobs still spawn?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand passive mob spawning mechanics, and/or how to use to "Spawn pad" in a skyblock...

i.e. If I kill all the passive mobs, new ones will spawn, up to some kind of cap. If I decide to start a breeding population, how large can it be for the spawn area to continue spawning / how far away would I need to keep my pens to ensure passive mobs still spawn?

Just create the spawn eggs, much easier( except for cow, which requires leather), but placing 1 spawn pad in a forest or plains biome is sufficient. Another way to create leather is with Blood Magic Alchemy thingy, just start the quest line first so you dont waste materials.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

The spawn cap is low, so while you are grinding for the mobs you want to farm, you should make some safari net's and just pokeball those you want before killing everything else. also. make certain that you are building your grass pad in the forest biome, the jungle only spawns chickens and ocelots, and the desert and river don't spawn anything at all.

you may also want to disable your hostile mob grinder while trying for that essential pair of cows. (chickens are no bother. the spawn egg only costs 9 arrows, so don't waste no pokeball on those. pig is a chicken egg surrounded by 9 pink wool, and sheep is the same except the wool has to be white. Only cows are worthwhile to pokeball imho.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
you may also want to disable your hostile mob grinder while trying for that essential pair of cows. (chickens are no bother. the spawn egg only costs 9 arrows, so don't waste no pokeball on those. pig is a chicken egg surrounded by 9 pink wool, and sheep is the same except the wool has to be white. Only cows are worthwhile to pokeball imho.
Golden lassos work on non-hostile mobs, and are reusable.

Also, it took me a while to figure out that Ex Nihilo crucibles can be piped into, but only into the top.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
For crucibles and barrels.. hoppers/item ducts underneath will pull out dirt/soul sand/clay, etc. On top will place items to compost or fill, and fluid ducts on the side can pipe in or out liquids. With this, it isn't too hard to automate your production.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to, once i have a stable cow/chicken/sheep/pig situation, cover my island in dogs and cats. Cats one can get by plasing a spawning platform in jungle. Where do dogs/wolves spawn? Can wolves be fed to create more wolves without taming them?