Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The illuminator would work, but the problem is I'm using the good ol vanilla box spawner method. The mobs spawn on a 3 by 3 platform, fall onto belts, then travel to a 2 by 2 hole into the grind area. The part that's annoying is I have to switch out the punji sticks for slabs when I want to make essence and liquid xp. That's the only time I need the 2 by 2 hole closed. With 2 vac hoppers on the side, and sewers under the slabs, I get liquid xp, mob essence, and mob drops that auto better barrel all at the same time. I'll defently have to try signal terminals.
I'm using a drawbridge for the switching. If the drawbridge is out, the mobs fall onto it and are killed by the grinder, giving me mob essence. If the drawbridge is in, they fall past the grinder and land on some invar spikes.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
There is a maximum range, yeah. And no microblock compatibility.
Hmph. In that case, I won't be able to hide the cabling/terminal in a one-block wall either way, and the way I build, the endpoints are really the only place where cabling space matters. Too bad.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
The quest book says that the map can be completed without travelling to the Nether, but in For the Hoarding, the Monster Hunter quest requires you to kill 10 Hellfish. My thought was that if you put a silverfish in witch water you could turn it into a hell fish; like with villagers to zombies/witches and skeletons to wither skeletons, but that doesn't seem to work. I used the "Spawn Chicken" silverfish spawn eggs in a glass enclosure and dumped in a bucket of witch water, but they remained silverfish. They seemed to have the same types of effects that hellfish have, but killing them didn't register in the quest book at all.

So, what do? I'd like to avoid trying to do this in the Nether if at all possible. I'm not afraid of it, mind you; it's just that it's laggy as f'k and I get single-digit FPS. It's nigh unplayable, so I just travel there to make quick ore runs when I need to.

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately not having to go to the nether to complete the map was only true in older versions of the pack. In the current version that is no longer true but the quest text was never updated so you have to go to the nether to try for 100% completion.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu... :mad: It would've been handy to update that section or at least provide a way of completing that portion without having to go to the nether. It seems a little sloppy making it possible to get everything else nether-related through an alternate method, but not hellfish.

I wonder if placing a magnum torch, then going 120 blocks or so away so that ghasts, pigs and bats despawn and then coming back will help with the FPS. I mean, I'll chase down and kill a ghast with my jetpack, because they're so big and slow that the choppiness isn't a big deal , but the hell fish are so tiny and fast that you can't target them with the framerate I'm getting. I was able to take out about half of the blazes that I need, but at least I can spawn them with an angry doll in the overworld.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Could you maybe spawn a bunch of them, somehow and while hovering safely above, throw a net at them to catch one. Get your magnet and activate it so you can get the net. And just hightail it out of there to safety. Spawn the net in a spawner and whack away.

The somehow part, you can think about. I'm sure you can come up with something creative.

And you don't need to go to the nether to catch a ghast, just go down low enough with some witch water and pour it on a bunch of squids. It should be fun:D

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu... :mad: It would've been handy to update that section or at least provide a way of completing that portion without having to go to the nether. It seems a little sloppy making it possible to get everything else nether-related through an alternate method, but not hellfish.

I wonder if placing a magnum torch, then going 120 blocks or so away so that ghasts, pigs and bats despawn and then coming back will help with the FPS. I mean, I'll chase down and kill a ghast with my jetpack, because they're so big and slow that the choppiness isn't a big deal , but the hell fish are so tiny and fast that you can't target them with the framerate I'm getting. I was able to take out about half of the blazes that I need, but at least I can spawn them with an angry doll in the overworld.
Useful console command: /cofh killall
It kills all hostile mobs. A bit cheaty, but necessary when you enter the nether for the first time in AS. You only need to do it once while in the nether and that will solve the major problems.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
And you don't need to go to the nether to catch a ghast, just go down low enough with some witch water and pour it on a bunch of squids. It should be fun:D

Oh, I know that, I just happened to kill them on earlier trips and the quest book recorded them for the monster hunter quest.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
Useful console command: /cofh killall
It kills all hostile mobs. A bit cheaty, but necessary when you enter the nether for the first time in AS. You only need to do it once while in the nether and that will solve the major problems.
But wouldn't that also kill the hellfish?

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
Well, /cofh killall worked. Some ghasts wound up wandering into the area, but they didn't bother too much. It took a ton of block breaking, but I finally managed to get some hellfish. Between flight potion and my jetpack, I was able to eventually get 10. I had to warp out and back in again to heal up and when I came back in, there were hundreds of them; I was able to just fire my bow randomly into the pile of them and that took care of them. I somehow managed to lose my jetpack, though. It ran out of power and I wound up landing before I could warp out again. When I got back to the overworld, I noticed it was gone. That sucked, but I still had my first leadstone jetpack and I used that to make a resonant one.

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
Oops, looks like I gave the ones for the quest in For the Hording. Well, I hope someone found that useful at least. >_> Been awhile since I did that one but it looks like the ones for the bragging rights quest are granum, meto, and the primals, with the exception of perdito.

Rubik842

Jul 29, 2019
No need for cofk killall if you prepare right.. I was quite worried by what I'd read but I had little trouble and found it quite easy.
First I completed the 16 kilobucket milk quest three times to get 9 red heart containers before going there. Plus I got a couple of yellow ones from some other reward.
Then the usual enchanted diamond armour and invar plate in the jetpack.
I made a manyllyn / obsidian cutlass from the sifted netherack and soul sand from my sludge boilers. Then levelled it up on cows produced by a breeder so I could get the upgrade slot on it. Then loaded the sword with 450 lapis for luck - I was up to my fourth stack before I realised it would take lapis blocks, DOH!
I collected a few power-2 enchanted bows from my mob farm then combined them on the anvil using up the liquid xp from my cow breeder and xp from killing about 1000 cows and pigs. This gave me a power 4 bow for less XP than doing it myself with new bows, By the time I combined the two power 3 bows one was already fully repaired.
I created a warp book before leaving and set a waypoint near water just in case I came back on fire. I also made the magnum torch which wasnt too bad because I picked the potion rewards from some of the quests.
I built the overworld portal as close as possible to the visit the nether quest location multiplied by 8.
I entered the portal with the magnum torch in my hand, stepped out and placed it immediately then ran like hell in the downhill direction with the jetpack to allow despawns.
I picked a fight with a couple of lonely looking pigmen and I got a blaze rod (and plenty of paintings - wtf?). Shoot pigmen with the bow once or twice from a distance, then swoop in and it's only one or maybe two shots to kill with the lucky cutlass. Hover against the ceiling and drink apple juice for the "well fed" buff if hurt or blinded, if you're stuck and cant fly up your feet are probably in a web, hack the web first to get away rather than fight the attacking pigmen.

johnnypebs

Jul 29, 2019
No need for cofk killall if you prepare right.. I was quite worried by what I'd read but I had little trouble and found it quite easy.
First I completed the 16 kilobucket milk quest three times to get 9 red heart containers before going there. Plus I got a couple of yellow ones from some other reward.
Then the usual enchanted diamond armour and invar plate in the jetpack.
I made a manyllyn / obsidian cutlass from the sifted netherack and soul sand from my sludge boilers. Then levelled it up on cows produced by a breeder so I could get the upgrade slot on it. Then loaded the sword with 450 lapis for luck - I was up to my fourth stack before I realised it would take lapis blocks, DOH!
I collected a few power-2 enchanted bows from my mob farm then combined them on the anvil using up the liquid xp from my cow breeder and xp from killing about 1000 cows and pigs. This gave me a power 4 bow for less XP than doing it myself with new bows, By the time I combined the two power 3 bows one was already fully repaired.
I created a warp book before leaving and set a waypoint near water just in case I came back on fire. I also made the magnum torch which wasnt too bad because I picked the potion rewards from some of the quests.
I built the overworld portal as close as possible to the visit the nether quest location multiplied by 8.
I entered the portal with the magnum torch in my hand, stepped out and placed it immediately then ran like hell in the downhill direction with the jetpack to allow despawns.
I picked a fight with a couple of lonely looking pigmen and I got a blaze rod (and plenty of paintings - wtf?). Shoot pigmen with the bow once or twice from a distance, then swoop in and it's only one or maybe two shots to kill with the lucky cutlass. Hover against the ceiling and drink apple juice for the "well fed" buff if hurt or blinded, if you're stuck and cant fly up your feet are probably in a web, hack the web first to get away rather than fight the attacking pigmen.
Yeah, it wasn't so much the fighting, it was the lag/single-digit FPS that was causing me grief. I needed to do the killall to get rid of all the spawned entities and it was still choppy as hell; it was literally, a slide show. On my machine, using this modpack, the Nether is unplayable.

Reactions: Rubik842

RazielTheFallen

Jul 29, 2019
hi there,
i built a system of 31 Cyclic Assembler for the High-Oven supply from automated sieving Gravel/Sand/Dust/Soulsand.
on top of the CA's i built 6x Pairs of A-Activators --> setting the block/smashing the block.
actually i fill the smashing AA's by hand with diamond-hammers
but it's quite expensive and i want a more automated solution.

two questions:
1. how you do it? when you do it similar.
(i thought about it to use of this more or less useless nickel/ferrous --> nickel-hammer)

2. what is the durability of the Hammers? (oh how i wish to create these hammers with TiCon.)
when i counted onces by myself it must be: stone-hammer: 152hits ; lead-hammer: 250hits ...without engagement :)

Digger

Jul 29, 2019
I think you need to check out the autopackager.

I used an autopackager and a lot of item ducts with whitelist filters to make sure everything went where I wanted it. Every single sieve product had an entry in a whitelist.

And hammers… just autocraft them somehow and pipe them into the AAs.

I miss AS, it would be great to have an AS2 for 1.7.10.

KeepOnDigging!

RazielTheFallen

Jul 29, 2019
I think you need to check out the autopackager.

I used an autopackager and a lot of item ducts with whitelist filters to make sure everything went where I wanted it. Every single sieve product had an entry in a whitelist.

And hammers… just autocraft them somehow and pipe them into the AAs.

I miss AS, it would be great to have an AS2 for 1.7.10.

KeepOnDigging!

autopacker i only use for occasionally cobble-compressing, not automated yet.
the producing of Gravel-ore, Sand-ore and Dust-Ore (-this directly supplied in the High-Oven) with CA's is really fast, i like it. autopacker ist too slow.

yeah, my question was rather, how to supply the "smashing AA" with the hammers.
what are the ideas of the community?
- fortune III enchanted diamond-hammers?
- automated wood or stone hammer supply-chain
(i read something on the first pages in this thread, but i fear to end up with a buffer-barrel full of wood or stone hammers)
- are there unbreakable thaumcraft or blood magic tools?

i'm quite new to AS (this Jan, first play) but i'm also ready for newer Versions of AS (peer to JadedCat :) )