Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
For working with the High Oven, you need to manually update the mod to 0.4 to get the ducts working. (some have reported weird TE pulverizer issues with 0.4.1) Once the ducts are working you can use them to get ores into the high oven. It needs charcoal to run, so you will need to have a tree farm going. I recommend using the charcoal blocks in the high oven (9 charcoal). It heats the oven much faster, and lasts longer. Add a drain (or two or three), connect your pipe of choice (spout or fluiduct), and send to a casting basin or table. You can make the high oven up to 8 blocks high, and you can smelt up to 6 items at once.

I still have a rather simple setup with mine, and it is semi-automated. I still place ores into the input chest manually, and add charcoal blocks as needed, but the casting is automated. I have mine going to ingots directly as I don't have to worry about partial blocks if I don't have enough ores of one type to fill a basin completely.

2014-05-02_19.54.21.png2014-05-02_19.53.27.png

Edit: For the Tinkerer's Steelworks book, you place seared stone on one of the materials and you books from TiCo

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, it's just a PITA to have to manually pour metal into casts. Looks like I'll probably TE it up.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So I have to BigReactors >_>. Should I only produce lava to get myself to the point where I'm BR? What fuel does BR require?
You don't have to. The quest line only makes you create the parts. One of the early rewards in the quest tree is yellorium, and if you choose it, you can get the that half of the tree done really early on.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
How do you produce the yellorium you will require later? What is the long term sustainability of yellorium?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You.. You can do that?

Edit: Never played with automating TiCo stuff before.

Here is my seared stone factory. I have 6, six block high smelteries. The base is part of the floor to get one extra row in the room. They are all fully automated and require no intervention.
2014-05-02_19.14.06.png

And here is the first part of construction with all the different elements exposed. The fluiduct on the right brings in lava from my crucibles, and feeds into the bottom of the seared tank. Since this is for seared stone, I have an igneous extruder producing cobblestone and sending it up into the controller. You would replace this with whatever method you want. TE item ducts, a hopper, etc. The left fluiduct is connected to a drain, and feeds into a casting basin below. Once the basin is filled, the item duct will automatically pull out the items and deposit them into a connected chest.

2014-05-01_23.43.33.png

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
You.. You can do that?

Edit: Never played with automating TiCo stuff before.

I like to throw a TE tank set to output mode between the fluid duct and the casting table/basin as a buffer so I can use fewer smelteries/high ovens. This allows multiple casts to run simultaneously.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Basin, as in you're creating blocks right? WHy are you mass producing seared stone?

Yes, basins. One, there is a seared stone quest in AS. Two, and more importantly, I plan on using the stone throughout my base. I like the look of the stone, and am planning on making a castle.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
What do you do about half casts. Do you just have enough tables, such that and half casts would eventually be filled, but not hinder any other processeS?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
What do you do about half casts. Do you just have enough tables, such that and half casts would eventually be filled, but not hinder any other processeS?

There are two routes to solve that. The first is to only cast ingots, and to only put in items that will smelt down to whole ingots. the second it to use te fluiducts with servos installed set to white list each metal. you will need a separate cast for each metal, but dont have to worry bout half casts causing issues. it also greatly increases the amount of metals you can handle in the smeltery at once.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
A single smeltery can handle 10 outputs right?

Edit: Also, do you have to blacklist the ingot cast on the itemduct?

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
A single smeltery can handle 10 outputs right?

Edit: Also, do you have to blacklist the ingot cast on the itemduct?

The item ducts will not pull out the ingot cast template. I think you can put more than 10 drains on a smeltery, but you only really need one drain on each smeltery as long as you whitelist a bucket of the molten metal for each type of cast you have in the system. There are 9 basic ores and several alloys. I suggest using 2 smelteries. One for Iron, Copper, Gold, Lead and Platinum. The other for Tin, Aluminum, Silver and Nickel. That way you have zero chance of creating alloys. Also like I said earlier, putting a buffer like a TE tank to buffer each fluid as the casting happens will speed up the process.

The high oven will not create any alloys default, so you can in theory use a single one, but automating without manually updating the Steelworks mod is impossible at this time. Should be fixed in the next pack update.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
The high oven will not create any alloys default, so you can in theory use a single one, but automating without manually updating the Steelworks mod is impossible at this time. Should be fixed in the next pack update.

Not 100% automated, but definitely possible. I only had to put the charcoal blocks in by hand, but they last long enough that wasn't an issue. The smeltery (I think) has the advantage that it can use the ore bits without having to combine them though.
It Automate the High Oven, pipe your ores into the controller. I used some charcoal to fill the 3 spots beside the fuel slot. Piped the output to 9 tanks sitting above basins. Whitelist the out put. Basins had ducts under them piping full blocks out. I never had to worry about partly filled basins with a basins for each metal. As soon as something melted it was piped out, no waiting for the internal tank to empty.

UnderscoreH

Jul 29, 2019
Then you're on an old version. That is no longer possible.

Yeah nah dude its still possible. I am on 2.1.2 and can give you a world download it you do not believe me. 2.1.2 is the update to steel works if I am not mistaken.