Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrDokeve

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly what he said, make sure to have a dirt block that's underneath a source block of water (place water directly on it with a bucket)
You have a chance of digging one up with a crook if your right click on the dirt block in such a position
Expect to use a few crooks worth of durability as it's a low chance to get lilypads in this fashion
if i right click on a dirt Block with the crook nothing happens.
I used Gendustry to change alot of the traits of bees, especially the flower traits, it's a pain to find all the different types of flowers that bees need
I will do that if I ccan but at the moment i havent the setup to do this

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019

Did you make sure there is a water source blok on top of that piece of dirt? Because that should work, though the chances of a lilypad spawning is small, you might have to try it a few times.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested then in AgS 3.0.0. took 31 damage count (equivalent of 31 single clicks) for my first lilypad to come up, which must have been lucky because I broke the crook and 86 off the second crook to get the second lilypad, then got that crook to 139 for my third lilypad.

Just go there with a few crooks, make sure that the set-up is as stated, and hold right click down.
If you break multiple crooks and still no lilypad, then something is wrong with the way you've set-up.

MrDokeve

Jul 29, 2019
am i doing this right?
2014-06-25_12.21.30.png

MrDokeve

Jul 29, 2019
ok thanks for help i try it again in swamp and tell what i get
Edit: just tested it in Swamp. Here it works. Seems like its Biome Specific
Edit 2: After thinking about it for more then a second it makes sense that it works only in swamp because lilipads only spawn in Swamp but thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
Reactions: Adonis0

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
oh wow, never knew it should be done in a swamp biome. I guess I got lucky enough to be in a swamp when I tried it!

Nevermind, seems it was related to a missing clear view to the sky instead of biome. I don't want to spread misinformation :)

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can also get lily pads with mariculture fishing. I seem to have remembered doing that, but it has been a while.

Mechman007

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, i'm trying to breed some teak trees to eventually get Blue Mahoe trees and i'm just wondering if i'm doing it right?

I am breeding Jungle Tree's and Silver Lime (Although I don't think they are pure breed). I use to have a mix of different trees, I chopped them down and only planted a mix of Jungle and Silver Lime but I still seem to be getting a mix of the other saplings when I 'use a grafter' (for lack of better words) on these trees! Are my saplings contaminated?

Just wondering what I am doing wrong as I am not getting any teak! Ive searched all over and can't find any clear guide to this tree breeding. Can anyone please help? I'll post pictures if needed. I have bee's in the area and hoping to get some butterflies (I have no idea how they spawn)

Help and explanations will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's an image, may help? You can maybe see there are two varients of Silver Lime, is this a problem?

2014-06-26_18.00.01.png

2014-06-26_18.07.18.png

Last edited:

LunaticMiner

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have some tips on how to get larger amounts of dirt early on (First igneous extruder level)? I'm trying to fill a decent sized wheat farm and I currently have a carrot garden, a good dark room, and a tree farm of four trees.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have some tips on how to get larger amounts of dirt early on (First igneous extruder level)? I'm trying to fill a decent sized wheat farm and I currently have a carrot garden, a good dark room, and a tree farm of four trees.
My usual method (i.e. before all the automation kicks of properly) is to take the watering can to my 3x3 carrot farm, and compost the results.

Other popular methods are:
- Make a shear and compost leaves (careful about sapling supply on that one)
- Compost rotten flesh from your darkroom

To be honest, you don't really need massive amounts of dirt until the automation kicks in properly.

Reactions: Bagman817

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

try to get a MFR tree farm going as soon as possible and use the sludge in a sludge boiler, it'll produce alot of dirt quite fast
my earliest dirt production is a simple 3x3 tree farm with a watering can, where I shear the leaves and drop the leaves in a chest that output the leaves into a barrel through itemducts and another itemduct pulling out dirt when it's done composting

LunaticMiner

Jul 29, 2019
Also, while I love Thermal Expansion, how do you get itemducts to pump items out of chests? Do they even do that? Or do I have to make a system with no buffers whatsoever?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Also, while I love Thermal Expansion, how do you get itemducts to pump items out of chests? Do they even do that? Or do I have to make a system with no buffers whatsoever?
Hit the connection with your wrench-like thing (quartz wrench, precision sledgehammer, crescent hammer), and it should go to the red arrow. Then it'll either need a redstone signal, or to be set to ignore redstone (need a servo) for it to actually pull.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019

There is a quest pretty early on that gives 4 iron ingots for a reward, I always use that to make 2 sets of shears which nets me over 1 stack of dirt. If you are past that or used the reward for something else, use your first 2 iron from sifting for shears.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My approach to dirt was as follows:
Manual compost spare Oak Saplings, food crops (wheat, carrots and potatoes are good for this) - early game stuff
Once first dark room Mob Farm was built, all zombie flesh turned to dirt.
At the same time, I was lucky enough to get a rubber tree seed straight away (no water mob farms for me!), so I was shearing rubber tree leaves and harvesting the wood for rubber. Leaves turned to dirt.
I now have a MFR tree farm up, along with a sludge facility, and I've exporting some of my 6k oak saplings into a barrel for more dirt.

My next goal is a tree farm to harvest leaves for pure dirt production for one of the hoarding quests.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There is a quest pretty early on that gives 4 iron ingots for a reward, I always use that to make 2 sets of shears which nets me over 1 stack of dirt. If you are past that or used the reward for something else, use your first 2 iron from sifting for shears.

ooh no, I always use those iron to make a harvestcraft pot and a mixing bowl so I can increase my food production from carrots by crafting stock, that increase your food amount by 3x instead of just using a juicer
I use invar shears for the shearing, they've a much better durability and only cost a bit of ferruous extra, which I barely use anyways

Reactions: Bagman817

Mechman007

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, i'm trying to breed some teak trees to eventually get Blue Mahoe trees and i'm just wondering if i'm doing it right?

I am breeding Jungle Tree's and Silver Lime (Although I don't think they are pure breed). I use to have a mix of different trees, I chopped them down and only planted a mix of Jungle and Silver Lime but I still seem to be getting a mix of the other saplings when I 'use a grafter' (for lack of better words) on these trees! Are my saplings contaminated?

Just wondering what I am doing wrong as I am not getting any teak! Ive searched all over and can't find any clear guide to this tree breeding. Can anyone please help? I'll post pictures if needed. I have bee's in the area and hoping to get some butterflies (I have no idea how they spawn)

Help and explanations will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's an image, may help? You can maybe see there are two varients of Silver Lime, is this a problem?

View attachment 11704

View attachment 11705

Wow no response for me and so many responses for the other guy :(

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
ooh no, I always use those iron to make a harvestcraft pot and a mixing bowl so I can increase my food production from carrots by crafting stock, that increase your food amount by 3x instead of just using a juicer
I use invar shears for the shearing, they've a much better durability and only cost a bit of ferruous extra, which I barely use anyways
In addition to the durability increase, Invar also 'stretches' your iron. 4 pieces of iron nets you 3 invar shears, for example.

@Mechman007 While I did bees fairly extensively in several worlds, I never really touched trees prior to AgSky. When I did the quests, I used the Gendustry machines to breed all the tree branches needed quite easily. Make sure you have plenty of Industrial Apiaries near your trees, wait for pollen to collect (using a local server is recommended for this, and many other, aspects of AgSky). Combine pollen and saplings in the advanced mutatron to get the sapling you need. Plant and repeat. Waiting for random mutations to happen naturally (via vanilla Forestry) seems like the hard way to do it.

Last edited: